Random restarts?

shdwjackal

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone else had any issues with their Droid randomly restarting? It has happened to me a few times, never more than once a day, but enough to make me recognize that it is an issue. This morning I opened it up to Google Reader and when I walked over to the nightstand to set it down, I saw the startup page with the Motorola emblem. I heard a few people mentioning a hard reset might correct it. Is this different from the traditional CTRL + ALT + Delete? Thanks for any help you guys might be able to provide.

VR
O.

equus

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Umm, I hate to say it........never had that concern..........wonder if there are some rogue apps that are playing hookie on you. hard reset is basically >>>remove battery>>>reinsert after few seconds. OR it can be the good old WIPE the device clean and start fresh with NO APPS installed.

R

Roy Aguilera

No restarts. If you are getting several a day, you might have a defective unit.

cmorty72#AC

The bending unit
Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I've had three that I can recall.
I removed all my apps, re-installed, and everything runs clean thus far.
Also adding TasKiller to my Droid seems to help balance things out.

shdwjackal

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
No restarts. If you are getting several a day, you might have a defective unit.

Oh no, it's only one every few days or so. Nothing horrible, but I hate when something happens on a device that I cannot control By the way, love your AV. lol Very cool.

Magnious

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I dont know if this is true for anyone else. But I noticed that when I have the keyboard open...my hand rests on the power button...randomly shutting it off. LOL. Could that be some of the issues here? More user error?

gonzoguy24

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Magnious...that should not turn off the phone anyway...that should just bring up the prompt of turning on airplane mode, sound on/off, and power down...

shdwjackal

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the help. I ended up playing it safe and exchanging for a new one. I have to tell you, Android makes switching phones painless. I was used to ease with the Storm where all I had to do was download Google Sync and presto, everything was there. But with the Droid, I enter my login credentials and not only did it bring back my contacts and email, but also my apps as well as my bookmarks from the web. lol I love this thing. Also noticed the 2nd device is a little different. KB is much better for some reason, and the slider is a little tighter. Hopefully no random restarts. But if it does happen again, I feel a littl emore confident that it can be resolved as it will more than likely be software based. Again, thanks for the input everyone.

Magnious

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Gah..now mine is restarting m/ultiple times daily! Should I trade it in for a new one? Or could it be an app?

I have
Dolphin browser
Beautiful widgets
Some games

gonzoguy24

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Mag, should not be an app but it could be...just uninstall the most suspect ones one by one and see what happens...if there's still a problem then bring it in to vzw fora new one

Magnious

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yeah...mine is definitely bugged. Going to return it either tomorrow or Friday. My poor Droid. :-( uninstalled all the apps and it is still randomly restarting. I hope the next or I get is a good one.

shdwjackal

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Just a head sup. Exchanged my device and have not had a restart yet. I think the restarting may be device related. Just my thoughts.

wahuff

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Mine was restarting randomly at least 2 - 4 times a day. When I took it to the Verizon retail store the rep told me that I would have to reproduce the problem before they would even consider the no worry guarantee. So, after several quips back and forth with him, the result was the absurd idea that if the phone rebooted, I would have to run to the store to get it replaced... :confused: Ridiculous. I immediately called Verizon tech support and the rep there advised me to perform the factory restore procedure and monitor it for a couple of days. in the 4 days of monitoring, it still rebooted at least once a day. So when I called Verizon tech support back (getting a rep was quite easy I might add) she contacted a different retail store and they agreed to accept the phone DOA under the no worry guarantee. Now I am happy as the new phone has not rebooted once in 4 days, and I agree it is a little differrent in that the build seems tighter and the overall feel of the OS is smoother. another note; the old one was very low on onboard storage (dont remember the exact figure) and the new one, with the same apps was hardly using any onboard storage at all... strange.

shdwjackal

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Nice to hear they took care of u. I purchased mine at BB and elected for the Blackberry Tie plan for seven bucks a month. Like insurance but no deductable. But they don't cover loss. :( love the phone though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech