Droid freezes when texting with onscreen keyboard

scottgl

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Almost every time I text with the on screen keyboard, when I click in the text box the on screen keyboard fails to be displayed. About 10 seconds later I get a message to "Wait" or "Force Quit" for the texting application, then the keyboard is finally displayed when I press Wait. Is anyone else having this problem?

Tennessee

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Have you tried a power down and restart. I for one have not had that problem. But sometimes little things can be resolved by a power cycle.

n2o

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Happens to me about 3-4x every day. No idea why. Sometimes I want to think its drawing the keyboard then I switch teh orientation of my phone to landscape or portrait, and that screws it up. I can't reproduce it though, it just always happens when I need to respond fast.

scottgl

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Yes I reset the phone. It's actually happened to me on two different droids. I swapped it out because the first one I got was constantly dropping calls. This problem happens quite often, but I'm not really sure how to reproduce it.

lostsolvtec

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
I found out mine does it only when I hit the Lock key to turn the screen off while I'm still in the actual text screen. If I hit the home key or back all the way out before I hit the lock key it's fine.

wahuff

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I found out mine does it only when I hit the Lock key to turn the screen off while I'm still in the actual text screen. If I hit the home key or back all the way out before I hit the lock key it's fine.

Both of mine (the old one and the new one that replaced the old one for other rebooting reasons) are behaving this way.

Hoping the update clears this up.

scottgl

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Here is how I reproduce this bug:

1) Physical keyboard must not be open/visible, and screen needs to be in portrait mode (not landscape)
2) Have a texting thread open with someone (need to have already texted someone)
3) Click on the 'Type to compose' textbox for onscreen keyboard to popup
4) A few seconds later, click on the lock button on top of the Droid for the screen to go black
5) A few seconds later (time must be short) click on lock button again and slide to unlock
6) Onscreen keyboard will have disappeared, click on textbox
7) Onscreen keyboard will fail to be displayed, and texting app appears to be frozen
8) Click on back button on bottom of screen
9) After about 15 seconds, you will receive the dialog "Sorry! Activity Messaging (in application Messaging) is not responding."
10) You will have the option to click "Force close" or "Wait", clicking wait allows you to return to the app with the keyboard open ready to type.

Last edited:

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
After I turn the phone back and swipe to unlock my keyboard is still there and I'm not getting any error might just be your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463