Droid and google talk, always away??

teknomedic

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Both my wife and I have Droids as well as a friend of ours... we've all been having some issues with chat/talk or whatever you'd like to call it (wish they'd pick a name)

Sometimes we'll show offline or away when we know the other is currently chatting. We've tried signing out and in, power cycles of the phone, adjusting the "auto sign in", "mobile indicator", "auto away status"... we've also tried manually setting our status with no change.

It's random as to who shows what to who as well... even when we're all sitting in the same room. Here's an example:

me = Wife away, friend online
Wife = me online, friend offline
friend = me online, wife online

that's a real pattern we had earlier today, but it's random as who shows what... it's rare when we all show online to each other. Again, same room, screens on and we're all trying to chat. It's not so bad when it says "away" since we can still talk with the orange indicator, but when it says "offline", we're pretty much SOL.

Lucky the regular text works or we'd never be able to talk.

Thanks for any tips or thoughts.

Last edited:

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
send the messages anyway...for some reason, there seems to be the false away showing up for a lot of people, but messages still go through. I had it happen tonight with a blackberry user too, same thing...sometimes we were there, sometimes away...weird.

teknomedic

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
is it something they're working on?

we still send messages when it says "away", but we can't send messages when it says "offline"... or do they still go through? We didn't test that fully I guess.

zyxwvu44

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I belive it shows u as away when your screen is off/locked. Change the setting to auto set away to off and it miay fix it.

teknomedic

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
we've tried that several times... and we've even tried keeping our screens on and keeping chat loaded for an hour (chatting as a test) with no changes in status.

It almost seems that the google chat servers weren't ready for mobile chatting or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy