Droid is being retired.

spepi

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I called VZW the other day to see what kind of deal I could get on a droid, figuring it would be the cheapest...the rep told me that are going to retire the Droid, so I had to go with the Droid 2

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I called VZW the other day to see what kind of deal I could get on a droid, figuring it would be the cheapest...the rep told me that are going to retire the Droid, so I had to go with the Droid 2
We have the internal document that shows that the Droid 2 will be retired 3/31/11. Each phone is to have at most a 9 month shelf-life.

Markubis

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I hope they at least keep the form factor of the Droid/Droid2 for their next iteration.
I have the car dock and the home dock and I love using them. My plan was to upgrade to the D2 when my current Droid fails or the NE2 contract runs out.
I am tired of seeing these companies create a product and then wonder why there is no brand loyalty like you see with Apple products. That's because with Apple, they stick with a form factor for longer periods of time and this allows 3rd party companies to design lots of cool products for them. Customers see all of the great peripherals that they can buy for their phones and they stick with them.
I love my Droid and the myriad of configurations I can get from it by just popping it into a car dock or my home dock....or using it in standard configuration.

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I hope they at least keep the form factor of the Droid/Droid2 for their next iteration.
I have the car dock and the home dock and I love using them. My plan was to upgrade to the D2 when my current Droid fails or the NE2 contract runs out.
I am tired of seeing these companies create a product and then wonder why there is no brand loyalty like you see with Apple products. That's because with Apple, they stick with a form factor for longer periods of time and this allows 3rd party companies to design lots of cool products for them. Customers see all of the great peripherals that they can buy for their phones and they stick with them.
I love my Droid and the myriad of configurations I can get from it by just popping it into a car dock or my home dock....or using it in standard configuration.

I'm wondering if Droid accessories would work with the Droid2. I know that my car holster relies on the "chin" of my Droid1. The Droid 2 has a slightly different chin, meaning that it would probably not work.

Markubis

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if Droid accessories would work with the Droid2. I know that my car holster relies on the "chin" of my Droid1. The Droid 2 has a slightly different chin, meaning that it would probably not work.

It does work with the existing droid mounts....meaning the car mount and docking station. I would think that some of the snap on cases will be an issue though.

EDIT: Correction...D1 works on D2 car mount but not the other way around. D1 and D2 both work on docking station.

Last edited:

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I had such issues with the Droid 1.. so I'm not sad to see it go. I know that tons of people had excellent luck with theirs though. That's just me personally.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I loved my original rooted, overclocked and custom rom'd Droid. It was damn near perfect. Then everything went south after a factory reset and it wouldn't activate. :( The "certified like new" replacements verizon sent were utter crap. I ended up upgrading to the Fascinate and couldn't be happier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy