Possible new Droid user, have questions.

Insidian

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi all. I'm currently an S1 user. I'm really thinking about switching over to the Droid, as I see many S1 and S2 users have done happily it would seem.

Now, as insignificant as this may sound, one thing about the Droid really bugs me. As an S1 user, I am used being able to, at any time, no matter what screen I'm in, or what app I am running, rotate the phone and get into landscape mode. From my brief time with a Droid at the VZW store, it seems it only does this when in the browser, or when you open the keyboard. Is this true? And if so, might there be plans to implement this in a future update? Or will I just get used to it in time and forget all about it because the Droid is so awesome? :)

Sorry for the seemingly trivial question, but I do currently us my S1 in landscape mode quite often.

yourbrokenoven

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
The only part of the phone which doesn't rotate unless the keyboard is open is the home screen. All other applications I use rotate when I turn the phone even without the keyboard open. I'm not sure why they chose to do it this way, when everything works just fine when it's in landscape mode with the keyboard open...

racermech

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
The only part of the phone which doesn't rotate unless the keyboard is open is the home screen. All other applications I use rotate when I turn the phone even without the keyboard open. I'm not sure why they chose to do it this way, when everything works just fine when it's in landscape mode with the keyboard open...

As i just switched from the S1 I also noticed that the droid will only rotate to landscape one direction. The buttons have to be facing up and the charger facing down. This is not a bad thing, just kinda odd coming from the S1 where you could flip the phone either way and have landscape. Again not a bad thing just something to get use to.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
you can download some home screen replacements to enable the functionality. dx top will let you do it.

but personally, i found it to be really annoying, just like it was on the storm. it always seems like a good idea, but in daily use just becomes a pita.

Insidian

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. That makes my decision for me pretty much. As long as it will rotate, and I can make the home screen rotate if I like with an app, that seals the deal. Now if only it were possible to make an app for BB Messenger I'd be in heaven!

Last edited:

Ret.Lt-SA

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. That makes my decision for me pretty much. As long as it will rotate, and I can make the home screen rotate if I like with an app, that seals the deal. Now if only it were possible to make an app for BB Messenger I'd be in heaven!

Well forget about that ever happening since BB Messenger is RIM owned and operated!

Insidian

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Well forget about that ever happening since BB Messenger is RIM owned and operated!

Yeah, sadly. That's the one thing I will definitely miss. Free messaging, with file transfers, groups, group updates, and lots of other things. Oh well, it's a small price to pay, I guess. I'll have to deal with the GF being mad for awhile though, I got her a Storm when I bought mine, and we use BB messenger constantly.

devarshi

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, sadly. That's the one thing I will definitely miss. Free messaging, with file transfers, groups, group updates, and lots of other things. Oh well, it's a small price to pay, I guess. I'll have to deal with the GF being mad for awhile though, I got her a Storm when I bought mine, and we use BB messenger constantly.

Doesn't Google Talk do everything BBM did? I never used BBM on my Tour, so I don't know.

Insidian

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't Google Talk do everything BBM did? I never used BBM on my Tour, so I don't know.

I don't think you can get Google Talk on a BB though, so I'd have to get her a Droid. Insanely enough, she doesn't want one. She has family that use BB Messenger.

Ret.Lt-SA

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
you can get google talk on a blackberry

the only real thing lacking vs bbm is group chats, and file transfers.

but provided you can get a bb user to try something other than bbm, for chatting the difference is negligible.

BlackBerry - Google Talk

Exactly right, you will have a hard time getting the BB user to install (and use) Google Talk. Agree, at this point it is the only thing I miss from my Blackberry.

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
The BBM 5.0 interface and the Google talk interface are exactly the same on a berry. (At least on storm and tour) Its actually scary, and almost looks like one completely ripped the other's UI off.

I'm running Ebuddy for IM on the droid, as I have had afew issues with google talk dropping me offline. Everything works great, and it supports everything.

And the reason the droid only rotates to landscape one way is because the other way, if you slid out the keyboard, it would be upside down. :)

Oh, and my home screen rotates to landscape. (DXTop ftw)