Will we ever be aloud to install apps onto the SD card? Because in order to really compete with iPhone we are going to need more memory for apps. Also do you guys believe Chrome OS will kill Android?
    12-07-2009 10:29 PM
    Will we ever be aloud to install apps onto the SD card?
    At this point, nobody knows.

Also do you guys believe Chrome OS will kill Android?
    Doubtful, they're aimed at different classes of device (PC vs. handheld).
    12-08-2009 03:10 AM
    Once the phone gets rooted, we can save any files we want to the SD card. And Chrome is for computers, Android is for mobile devices.
    12-08-2009 04:31 AM
    The only reason I see that we would need to save apps to the sd card is if were getting a lot of the full 3d games like the iphone I don't know I have about 30 apps and still have pleny of space to store more.
    12-08-2009 09:21 AM
    I'm with Bizz on this one, I don't see a purpose in being an "app *****", and downloading and keeping stuff you never use. I have around 25 apps that I use regularly, between the stock stuff and things I've dl'd from the market. I doubt I'll ever see the need to have 200 apps installed, so capacity isn't really a huge issue.

As for chrome, it's never going to compete with android directly. Why would Google make two things that took market share from one another?
    12-08-2009 10:39 AM
    it's not the quantity of applications that that you can't natively save to the SD card, it's the size of the applications themselves, like thebizz says, it's 3d games that can become large if devs really want to take advantage of the more powerful handsets (droid for now, but a decent amount of snapdragon based phones are on the horizon)

and unless you can save them out of the box, it's not going to become an attractive market for devs to invest time in, so rooting is no a real solution in regard to the viability of the market for developers who want to make money.

hopefully the talk of google looking in to this earlier prove true and we get the feature in a 2.x update.

as far as chrome goes, i could see it replacing android in places where android really shouldn't be since it doesn't seem to make much sense there (laptops, ereaders, etc) the larger screens and more powerful hardware would seem better suited to something designed for it, rather than shoehorning a mobile OS into them.

but i personally don't see it making much sense as a replacement to android. they will probably work very well together as google moves more and more of our data into the cloud
    12-08-2009 03:30 PM
    Once the droid is properly rooted, you can store apps anywhere you like. I have apps stored on a hard drive and can symlink them while my apd is tethered to the pc. Can't boot the phone unless it's plugged in though .

Google has state that they would like to fork Chromium and Android together into one appliance/mobile device OS. No timeline or details, but during a recent press announcement they stated as such. Makes sense, as they both are just GUI's/application servers on top of Linux.
    Brin: Google's OSes likely to converge | Relevant Results - CNET News
    12-08-2009 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD