12-10-2009 12:48 PM
173 ... 34567
tools
    OK I tried the Droid + Astro. It also failed. Same error.
    Sounds like you are doing it correctly, the method of downloading the file and/or getting it onto the sdcard is not going to change the error you are seeing. Unless a technical person has the same problem and can provide insight, you really just have to wait the day or 2 to get the update from verizon and see if that does the trick. It's my understanding that the update that manually install and the one they send is indeed the exact same, but you'll only know once u get it from them.

It might be doing some verification that the current build is authentic and in the state that it would expect, and bags if it doesnt find that. If that is the case and you have not tampered with the OS then you'll probably need technical assistance from verizon or a new phone.

Good luck
    12-09-2009 10:48 AM
    Still no Notifications if someone writes on your wall or something, but now I'm receiving notifications if someone tags me in a post or "pokes" me. Weird...
    i don't think the current facebook app has a setting to alert you for wall posts or comments, so it's not that the app isn't working right, it's that the feature just isn't in it.
    12-09-2009 10:51 AM
    I got used to the new lock screen.
    Along with what everyone else is noticing.
    -I also like how the Power and Media widegets are now Blackish/Gray
    -For some weird reason GPS now works better, when using BW and WWD I would get LA (regardless of wether I was in Burbank or Northridge). Now I get the actual city name.
    -Even the GDE transitions using cube look better.
    I am happy with this update.
    12-09-2009 10:58 AM
    It might be doing some verification that the current build is authentic and in the state that it would expect, and bags if it doesnt find that. If that is the case and you have not tampered with the OS then you'll probably need technical assistance from verizon or a new phone.
    Man. What a hassle ~
    12-09-2009 11:23 AM
    Man. What a hassle ~
    have faith and a little patience, i know it's tough sometimes. maybe the automatic update will do the trick. Do keep us posted if that works or not, I'm curious myself, and good luck!
    12-09-2009 11:29 AM
    Man. What a hassle ~
    Good Luck hope you get it updated some how.
    12-09-2009 11:33 AM
    i have this same problem that several of you have. failing the system verification or whatever
    12-09-2009 12:05 PM
    i don't think the current facebook app has a setting to alert you for wall posts or comments, so it's not that the app isn't working right, it's that the feature just isn't in it.
    That is probably what it is, thanks for clarifying that!
    12-09-2009 12:07 PM
    Finally got some free time at work to apply this update. Coming from bb for 3 years and the storm most recently I have applied quite a few operating systems. This install on the droid was ridiculously easy and only took about 10 minutes to complete. Phone seems to running pretty smooth not as many transitional hiccups. Especially glad they got the choppiness out of pulling down the notification tray. I guess the new lock screen is ok, liked the other one better but not a big deal.
    12-09-2009 12:14 PM
    I read somewhere that Verizons update will not work if you have 40% or less battery life left, and would assume the manual one is the same way. This might be causing some people issues,

PS. Same positive reports as everyone else, can't wait for the next one!!!
    12-09-2009 12:18 PM
    I got used to the new lock screen.
    Along with what everyone else is noticing.
    -I also like how the Power and Media widegets are now Blackish/Gray
    -For some weird reason GPS now works better, when using BW and WWD I would get LA (regardless of wether I was in Burbank or Northridge). Now I get the actual city name.
    -Even the GDE transitions using cube look better.
    I am happy with this update.
    I wish my GPS said LA...it's COLD here (Minnesota)

My update went fine, and I have the 40/09 build date.
    12-09-2009 12:22 PM
    I read somewhere that Verizons update will not work if you have 40% or less battery life left, and would assume the manual one is the same way. This might be causing some people issues,
    every time i've tried it battery has been over 40% usually at least 80%
    12-09-2009 12:22 PM
    every time i've tried it battery has been over 40% usually at least 80%
    Same here.
    12-09-2009 12:38 PM
    worked for me! seems a bit quicker
    12-09-2009 12:48 PM
    man this is really starting to **** me off

i've got some dolt on another forum that keeps telling me over and over, "no, rename it to just update and it will work"
    12-09-2009 12:49 PM
    Have you tried getting a fresh zip file? Maybe something got messed up in the transfer. BTW, I used PC first, renamed, then usb to memory card.
    12-09-2009 12:55 PM
    man this is really starting to **** me off

i've got some dolt on another forum that keeps telling me over and over, "no, rename it to just update and it will work"
    I think you just have to wait until verizons auto update comes through and see if that fixes. You're not missing that much in the update, it's not like its a new toy after it.

You'd also think that out of the people that already got verizons auto, u might have heard in forums/google about problems, but I haven't heard any. Chances are the auto update will work.
    12-09-2009 01:06 PM
    yeah i'm not really concerned about getting the update. what i am concerned about is that there's something franked up with my phone that will prevent me from installing other mods and such. that's half the fun of having an android phone.
    12-09-2009 01:09 PM
    Installed with no issues using Ubuntu so much easier than bb updates and leaks. Not to mention the hybrids.
    12-09-2009 01:23 PM
    Have you tried getting a fresh zip file? Maybe something got messed up in the transfer. BTW, I used PC first, renamed, then usb to memory card.
    I agree. Try a different source. BTW, I ran the update on my droid. No pc required...
    12-09-2009 02:12 PM
    i've tried a variety of sources. i even tried saving the download directly onto the sd card and naming it update.zip. so as soon as it was downloaded it was where it needed to be and everything. same error.
    12-09-2009 02:19 PM
    Does anyone else's buttons at the bottom of the screen stay lit up after the update now? Same thing with the physical keyboard, and they never turn off till I lock the phone.
    12-09-2009 02:20 PM
    for anyone trying to download the zip from the droid, you might first need to install an unzip program. If someone knows how to download the zip file without an unzip app installed, please chime in. For me, when i iniitally downloaded from the stock browser or dolphin browser, the download manager would say the phone does not support this content and that the download failed. I then installed an unzip app and it then worked.

All that said, for those having issues with verifying the existing build in manually installing, I do not think there is a solution other than waiting for automatic update for now.
    12-09-2009 02:20 PM
    Ok, so I installed the update and I installed the root zip file but did nothing further with the root... Will I still be able to get future OTA updates?
    Also noticed that it uninstalled a few of my apps.. But seems to be working fine! If someone wants to PM me with info, or respond on here...
    12-09-2009 02:24 PM
    i've got a few more things i'm going to try before i give up on this one
    12-09-2009 02:25 PM
173 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD