11-10-2010 03:55 PM
32 12
tools
    I cant stand my Droid anymore. It lags and force closes and on several occassions it just froze. The other day I push the icon to call out and nothing happened on the screen but the call was being made and for about a minute my friend was listening to me talk about my phone not making a call. I like the concept but it has too many problems after only eleven months of ownership. I don't want a refurbishid piece of crap either.
    10-12-2010 09:19 AM
    Feeling the same thing. Got wonky right after Angry Birds install...how about you? Wondering if I have too many apps...(say it isn't so!)...I'm betting there's a conflict causing this, it's not the Droid.
    10-12-2010 09:44 AM
    You weren't running a Task Killer pre 2.2 were you? If so you might want to do a factory reset.

Also, you haven't moved any widgets or streaming apps (last.fm, pandora, twitter, facebook) to the SD card, did you? Putting things that you use frequently or in the background on the SD card causes a lot of lag.
    10-12-2010 10:07 AM
    Why not wipe it and start fresh? I like to do the same when my windows install starts feeling clunky..
    10-12-2010 10:07 AM
    Yeah, I don't get why people have such an adversion to factory wipes.

All your contacts are saved, everything on your SD card is saved. At worse you'll have to reinstall apps, but if you're running Froyo this should do it for you automatically.
    10-12-2010 10:13 AM
    I'll take that piece of crap off your hands and I'll give you $25..CASH!
    dcreed likes this.
    10-12-2010 10:29 AM
    I'll go area52 one better and offer you $26 AND pay for shipping.
    10-12-2010 12:27 PM
    I'll go area52 one better and offer you $26 AND pay for shipping.
    I put it under my car tire and rolled it. Getting something else. It actually held up pretty good.
    10-12-2010 12:40 PM
    I put it under my car tire and rolled it. Getting something else. It actually held up pretty good.
    Okay, Mr. Jobs.
    10-12-2010 07:48 PM
    May I suggest that Casio phone as your next device. I know you can run those over and I hear they're even water proof. Plus no lag
    10-13-2010 01:35 AM
    I don't want a refurbishid piece of crap either.
    No, you don't. Once ADW Launcher screwed up my first Droid (and got the force close loop of hell), I had to go through 4 refurbished pieces of crap before I got another new Droid. I had a gazillion issues with the Moto Droid almost immediately. The D2 was worse for me, almost. Traded it for the Fascinate. The guy at the store assured me I'd still have "a bunch of problems" because it was "me, not the phone". Had this phone longer than any of my Droids, zero resets, zero battery pulls, zero problems, so he can suck it.

Sorry your phone is having problems, though. I'd call customer service and see what they can do.

if you're running Froyo this should do it for you automatically.
    Ahh, the benefit of Froyo. I'm hoping once my phone gets it the update will install smoothly and I won't have to reset. But I do like the auto install app thing.

I also agree with what others are saying about factory wipes. Definitely not the end of the world. Solves a lot of problems.. though not all. My refurbs never worked after a factory reset.
    10-13-2010 05:21 AM
    Sucks to hear all these problems with the Droid 1. I hope mine doesn't succumb to any of them. I do experience lag but I just force close most everything and all is better. I've also moved most of my apps to the SD card. I love the Droid 1 but wish it had more internal memory allocation.
    10-13-2010 08:23 AM
    I am also going through those issues as well. I am on my 4th replacement.

But I am probably more mad at VZW for how they are handling the situation.

First off I go to a VZW store. The rep sees the issues that I am having and proceeds to put in an order for another "certified like new" Droid. I tell her that I don't want another Droid can I have something else? She says well we don't make that decision, CS does that. So she documents my account so when I call CS they would go from there. So I thought.

So I call CS. The CSR tells me I have 3 options.
    1: Purchase a "certified like new" device
    2: Purchase a "certified pre owned" device
    3: Use my early upgrade to get a new phone

Now mind you, I used an upgrade to get this phone in July. So why the **** would I use another upgrade to replace the upgrade?????????

But what also was even crazier was the fact that he said "well no one forced you to get the Droid" WHAT???????

To me that sounded like "oh we warned you not to get the Droid but you went and got it anyway"

What happened to satisfying the customer? I guess they figure "we have 80 million other customers, who cares about 1 or 2 complaints"
    10-19-2010 10:21 PM
    Unfortunately, that's just the way Verizon does things. So I'd always suggest factory resets and if it doesn't work, you're out of luck and are stuck with a refurbished phone unless you can use an upgrade or pay full price.
    10-19-2010 10:25 PM
    Well I already contacted one of my local news stations and they are gonna look into it because they have been getting tons of VZW complaints lately.

Push comes to shove there is always AT&T and Sprint.
    10-19-2010 10:44 PM
    seriously thou, with the # of units and the # of customers there will be issues.

But how they are addressed is the key. Go in with the wrong attitude and that may very well take you down the wrong path for sure.
    10-27-2010 12:09 PM
    I have recieved my certified like new device and so far it is operating flawlessly. I did not re install Launcher Pro. I think that was part of the lagging problems and force closes. I will use it a while and see how it goes. Mine was replaced under warranty. My original Droid had the buble keys and my new one has the flar keys and I like the flat keys better. They seem to have less resistance and I can text much easier.
    10-28-2010 01:20 AM
    *UPDATE*

I received my brand new Droid 2 this morning.

I hope I have a better experience with it, than I had with the Original Droid.

And without using my upgrade either.
    11-08-2010 10:40 AM
    not going to lie, that "mr. jobs" remark made me laugh out loud haha.

this is directed towards people who are not happy with their droid's performance:

you have to understand that with the rapid development in android devices and capabilities, if you have an older android phone then you can't expect it to be flawless. i loved the droid when i had it even with its issues. it has held up and still is with it's competitors. due to it being old tech. it is a given that it will not be able to perform as well as the current line of android devices. You will have to concern yourself with what apps you are running and how much space you have available because if you do not then you will experience more lag than usual.

smartphones are developing so rapidly (android in particular) that it seems like every other month another manufacturer has a new flag ship device for launch. it is something that we will all have to get used to.

keep in mind, there is always the ability to early upgrade through verizon after a full year of your contract. there is a 20 or 30$ fee to do so but it may be worth it for some.
    11-08-2010 03:42 PM
    not going to lie, that "mr. jobs" remark made me laugh out loud haha.

this is directed towards people who are not happy with their droid's performance:

you have to understand that with the rapid development in android devices and capabilities, if you have an older android phone then you can't expect it to be flawless. i loved the droid when i had it even with its issues. it has held up and still is with it's competitors. due to it being old tech. it is a given that it will not be able to perform as well as the current line of android devices. You will have to concern yourself with what apps you are running and how much space you have available because if you do not then you will experience more lag than usual.

smartphones are developing so rapidly (android in particular) that it seems like every other month another manufacturer has a new flag ship device for launch. it is something that we will all have to get used to.

keep in mind, there is always the ability to early upgrade through verizon after a full year of your contract. there is a 20 or 30$ fee to do so but it may be worth it for some.
    I still have been using my "as good as new" Droid and everything seems to work as it's suppose to. I don't use Launcher Pro and the screen lag is very short. I don't know how it's possible that some people go through three or four refurbished devices and I only have one and it works great. It seems to me that some of those people are just angling to get an upgraded phone. Who knows. I see all of these people using these newer Andriod phone that are huge and it looks like the brick phone is back only flatter.
    11-08-2010 08:08 PM
    I still have been using my "as good as new" Droid and everything seems to work as it's suppose to. I don't use Launcher Pro and the screen lag is very short. I don't know how it's possible that some people go through three or four refurbished devices and I only have one and it works great. It seems to me that some of those people are just angling to get an upgraded phone. Who knows. I see all of these people using these newer Andriod phone that are huge and it looks like the brick phone is back only flatter.
    Well I said the same thing about all the people complaining about the Storm and saying that they had up to as many as 20 replacements. I agree that "some" are looking for an upgraded phone, but the others have/had real issues.

As for me, I had my Storm for a year and a half until it finally broke. That's the only reason that I upgraded to the Droid. I liked the Droid until the update to Froyo. Then all of a sudden it started acting funky. I took it to a VZW store and they saw what I was talking about. So they set me up to have a replacement sent to me. That's when the adventure began.

The first replacement had a bad sliding mechanism and wouldn't come on. The battery was fully charged.
    The second replacement kept shutting itself off and I had to keep doing battery pulls. Now that's funny because everyone claims only on BB's do you have to do battery pulls.
    The third replacement had to be sent back because they could not activate it cause it was still in someone elses name.
    And the fourth replacement had some keys that didn't work.

I wasn't looking for an upgrade, JUST A PHONE THAT WORKS. PERIOD.

I can't speak for other people, but I want what I paid for.
    11-08-2010 10:30 PM
    Well I said the same thing about all the people complaining about the Storm and saying that they had up to as many as 20 replacements. I agree that "some" are looking for an upgraded phone, but the others have/had real issues.

As for me, I had my Storm for a year and a half until it finally broke. That's the only reason that I upgraded to the Droid. I liked the Droid until the update to Froyo. Then all of a sudden it started acting funky. I took it to a VZW store and they saw what I was talking about. So they set me up to have a replacement sent to me. That's when the adventure began.

The first replacement had a bad sliding mechanism and wouldn't come on. The battery was fully charged.
    The second replacement kept shutting itself off and I had to keep doing battery pulls. Now that's funny because everyone claims only on BB's do you have to do battery pulls.
    The third replacement had to be sent back because they could not activate it cause it was still in someone elses name.
    And the fourth replacement had some keys that didn't work.

I wasn't looking for an upgrade, JUST A PHONE THAT WORKS. PERIOD.

I can't speak for other people, but I want what I paid for.
    seems like you had the same problem with replacement droids that i did. i was sent 4 replacement droids and all of them had a weak/wobbly slider. the funny thing is that i mentioned to them about my concern with receiving a replacement with weak slider and they told me (of course) "we haven't heard of that. it is very rare for a replacement to have that issue". each time i called them back and told them how it had a weak slider and what was their response each time? "that's strange, i have never heard of that occurring with replacements". Just goes to show you that you should always be careful when it comes to getting a replacement (anything) because a problem you could probably deal with may turn into a problem that you do not know what to do about.
    11-09-2010 02:59 PM
    seems like you had the same problem with replacement droids that i did. i was sent 4 replacement droids and all of them had a weak/wobbly slider. the funny thing is that i mentioned to them about my concern with receiving a replacement with weak slider and they told me (of course) "we haven't heard of that. it is very rare for a replacement to have that issue". each time i called them back and told them how it had a weak slider and what was their response each time? "that's strange, i have never heard of that occurring with replacements". Just goes to show you that you should always be careful when it comes to getting a replacement (anything) because a problem you could probably deal with may turn into a problem that you do not know what to do about.
    They said the same things to me. "oh that's strange", "we haven't heard of that happening before" etc. I guess they must have it written down so they can remember to say it to everyone lol. But what I don't understand is you can take the phone to a VZW store, they check it out, and they see everything that you are talking about and agree that the phone is defective.

So to me there is your proof that you are not just saying that it is defective, a VZW rep also agrees.

Well I'm thankful that they sent me a brand new Droid 2 and hopefully it doesn't give me any issues.
    11-09-2010 03:10 PM
    the verizon reps aren't always helpful. when i brought my orginal broken droid in (one of the prongs for the power button was broken so i had to press on the right side of the button in order power off/lock/reboot) to have it looked at the guy told me the button was stuck or something like that. he said it was normal and would go away. i called BS on his advice and told him he was wrong. then he looked at the replacement they sent me and said the week wobbly slider was somthing that had to be broken in. I called BS on his words of advice again. there is no reason for the slider to be weak. then to top it off i told him i wanted to keep my orginal broken droid until i get a better replacement. what does the verizon rep do? he tried to activate the replacement. sometimes i wonder haha

but it is all good now. i got a DInc after my 4th droid replacement. i guess it worked out for the better. plus i dont feel the need to get an early upgrade as soon as i was.
    11-09-2010 03:32 PM
    the verizon reps aren't always helpful. when i brought my orginal broken droid in (one of the prongs for the power button was broken so i had to press on the right side of the button in order power off/lock/reboot) to have it looked at the guy told me the button was stuck or something like that. he said it was normal and would go away. i called BS on his advice and told him he was wrong. then he looked at the replacement they sent me and said the week wobbly slider was somthing that had to be broken in. I called BS on his words of advice again. there is no reason for the slider to be weak. then to top it off i told him i wanted to keep my orginal broken droid until i get a better replacement. what does the verizon rep do? he tried to activate the replacement. sometimes i wonder haha

but it is all good now. i got a DInc after my 4th droid replacement. i guess it worked out for the better. plus i dont feel the need to get an early upgrade as soon as i was.

Try EVER helpful!

I have had to replace EVERY SINGLE ONE of my Moto android phones. I've now own one of each! Minus the devour.
    11-09-2010 03:45 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD