I just lost all my contacts..

slowhatch

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Well I feel like someoen just punched me in the face. I have about 300 contacts some of whom are probably irreplaceble and they all just disappeared into thin air. I updated gde and it came out with this new widget that's called "conversations", basically its a widget that let's u scroll through ur/missed calls/texts on ur home screen. Well I fired up the widget and realized that allthough it works swimingly it wasn't showing my contacts names in the texts just numbers... so haha I thought that's a glitch. I clicked my messages and all the names were there so I delted the widget and tried to place it one more time... it didn't work again. And then I clicked messeges and realized it was displayin numbers only... so wtf I thought I click contacts and nothing. I nearly **** my pants. No phone log no contacts nothing. I did a battery pull, nothing. Wtf did I just do and how do I fix it. Please tell me there's a way to fix this

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Delete your google account from your phone and add your account back on... should be fine. I would also first check to make sure your contacts are still in your Gmail on the web...

R

Roy Aguilera

If you have sync enabled your contacts are safe. Go to contacts, menu button and hit import/export. Now try to import from SD.
If that doesn't work go to contacts, menu button, accounts, manage accounts, select your gmail account, sync contacts.
Good luck.

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
HEY! this happened to me too!! about 2 weeks ago I had to go back to best buy to have them transfer contacts again. How do I sync them with google or back them up to the SD card.

EDIT: I reread an earlier post and exported my contacts to my SD card and I also checked the box to sync with google, BUT how do I see my contacts on google?

Last edited:

alex1080p#AC

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
HEY! this happened to me too!! about 2 weeks ago I had to go back to best buy to have them transfer contacts again. How do I sync them with google or back them up to the SD card.

EDIT: I reread an earlier post and exported my contacts to my SD card and I also checked the box to sync with google, BUT how do I see my contacts on google?

You go to gmail.com and sign in with your android email and password, then below Inbox you should see Contacts. Click that and all your Contacts from your phone, should be there.

Kaus

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
exported my contacts to my SD card

Your issue may be you exported instead of imported your contacts to your phone. If you're not seeing your contacts on Gmail then either the sync isn't working or your contact list is incomplete on your phone.

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Well dont you export to your SD card when you have all your contacts then import them to your phone if you lose your contacts?

Btw, I woke up today and I had all the contacts in gmail, must have just been delayed or something.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Well dont you export to your SD card when you have all your contacts then import them to your phone if you lose your contacts?

Btw, I woke up today and I had all the contacts in gmail, must have just been delayed or something.

you can export them, however, the default behavior i believe is that it will synch to google's cloud. Login to gmail on the web, click on contacts, and see what is there. If all your contacts are there, the phone should synch and pull them in automatically.

Also, were all of your contacts in google before? Or were some of them pulled from facebook. The contacts list on phone has settings to control if you see contacts with only phone numbers, or all, or contacts from facebook, etc, etc....

MstrChfHooyah#AC

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Thank you DA6.... the book that comes with the phone might as well be toilet paper... I was beginning to worry about this as well. Did what you said and wa-la...it was all there on the SD card!

G

GenericMessage

Actually, this happened to me with my first droid.

It deleted all my contacts.
Then it synced up with the server.
The server noticed I had no contacts, it then thought that I manually deleted them, and then deleted them off the server.

This was obviously a error with my specific droid

GreatBigRadio

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Actually, this happened to me with my first droid.

It deleted all my contacts.
Then it synced up with the server.
The server noticed I had no contacts, it then thought that I manually deleted them, and then deleted them off the server.

This was obviously a error with my specific droid
This same thing happened to me. I upgraded my Samsung Moment to the Epic two nights ago after I meticulously backed up my contacts via Gmail. After I swapped phones, it didn't sync at first. Two hours later, my contacts appeared. The next morning they were all GONE. Gone from the phone, and gone from my Gmail account.

The knucklehead from support said I should have backed them up. Um...THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT I DID! What's worse, the Blackberry I originally had them on two months ago has died...no power, no nothing. So I'm really screwed.

sharkerbaby

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
We should all use this as a cautionary tale. A synch is not a backup. Alot of us fall into a false sense of security because frequently our data is also located in the cloud via a synch processes. Trouble is usually by default the nature of a synch means what happens HERE happens THERE and what happens THERE happens HERE so unless the synch process it interrupted there is a very good chance something erroneously deleted on either end will be propagated to the other location.

Simply put, a backup is a snapshot of the data at a given point in time and copied to another separate remote location. It takes DELIBERATE interaction in order to restore all or some of that data to the original or replacement device. You can automate a backup process to update the backup file but there is no reason anything or anyone should interact w/ a backup file other than to execute a restore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995