Randomly deleting all my text messages?

azezial

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
This is the 4th time my phone has deleted all my texts... WTF??? i use it for work and sometimes I need to get old information (and to prove points to my gf) haha.

randomly ill just open up my text box and everything will be gone..

Anyone else have this issue??

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Are you using stock messaging? I assume you've checked the settings? There is option to delete messages after a certain threshold defaults to 200

azezial

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
yeah, i set my threshold to 5000 (the max) and by deleting i mean it just deletes everything, like i go into my messaging folder and all my conversations are gone..

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
There is a new app developed by Tiger Woods that will delete all text messages from your phone or any phone you text maybe that's what happened.

dolvar

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
deletes my messages too!

im glad this isn't just happening to me... to be honest im getting quite pissed off with the droid.
i had the iPhone and so far i would recommend ATT and the iPhone over the Droid ANY DAY!!
the only reason i got the droid is because it is the closest thing to an iPhone and where i live ATT doesn't get the best service... i dont drop calls or anything but to find that "sweet spot" becomes annoying in a few of my friends houses...

i've had the droid for MAYBE a month and this is my second one... soon to be 3rd...

my 1st droid would force close on everything and then delete all my messages, contacts, etc.
my 2nd droid keeps deleteing all my text messages...

and i too need my older messages for my day to day life for looking back for information and other things as i need them!!

to the point where im about to go back to ATT and use my iPhone again...

if anyone knows a way to fix this BS please let us know...
maybe its something simple that we dont know about...

but mine have deleted 3 of the 4 times while i send a message but dont have that great of service and it tries to send but it cant and i go to the home screen...
so idk...

anabolix

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
My original text messaging program would forceclose so often once it hit a certain number of msgs. That got extremely annoying and it also deleted all the texts. I installed handcent and its way better but everyonce in a while, it too force closes and again the texts are gone. Not very good for when you need to keep important text messages....

ridavid81

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
this doesnt happen to me and 99.9% other droid users. you guys are just doing something wrong.

You probably have the delete old text messages as limits are reached option checked off.

anabolix

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
this doesnt happen to me and 99.9% other droid users. you guys are just doing something wrong.

You probably have the delete old text messages as limits are reached option checked off.
I don't know if you were referring to me as well. But I checked that off a while ago. And since when was an option suppose to crash a program...?
:rolleyes:

dolvar

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

actually, i just checked that... and no, you are wrong sir.
if it were something i was doing i wouldn't be doing it...
obviously.

i haven't touched the setting from how they were coming out of the box in verizon when i got my phone, tll justn ow. i changed the limit from 200 to 5000...

if it's happening to me 2 phones in a row then im just having bad luck because all im doing on my phone is texting.

with this phone i didn't even install apps that my friends dont have because they aren't having this prob either..

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
unfortunatley the only way to resolve these problems is to figure out how to replicate it. If verizon doesnt know about it they'll never be able to fix an obscure bug that cannot be replicated. I know this sucks, but as another poster pointed out, this doesnt seem to affect really anyone but a small small handful of users. It could be related to buggy devices, some conflicts with another application, or some combination of events. Yeah it could also be user error of some kind.

So yeah that sux, if the phone doesnt do what you want then I would return it. Just keep in mind it seems you might just have bad luck, cause I use my phone extreme amounts, lots of texting, 80+ programs and I do not experience any of these issues. I hope you guys figure it out.

dolvar

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
i was able to replicate the force closure then all my messages getting deleted with my first phone, it was still random but i knew exactly what combination of things was doing it..

2 or 3 apps in the background, incoming text, drop down notification, press new text message, reply = all hell breaking loose on your droid.

i just cant figure out or replicate this delete all messages without force close crap... it just randomly does it from time to time...
but im thinking its doing it when i have 0 or 1 bars of service and i go to send a text message..

it may happen more often to me than some other users because i do send out a minimum of about 800-1000 text messages per day and it varies on what i recieve because of texts i dont reply to or forwards that i get, etc...

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It just happened to me too. I have it set to auto delete messages after 200, 210 if there are MMS in there. Texting has been bugging out a little today. Sometimes, I'd click a thread with one person, and it would open another thread, or things like that.

When it happened, I opened messaging to read an unread message, and it opened into a thread that got deleted between me and another person. I go back to the thread menu, where only the unread message is now. The entire thread, which had been maxxed to 210, and had been auto deleting properly for a while now, was entirely gone as well. I had a ton of apps running in the background... Maybe that was it.

It wasn't the end of the world for me, as I have missing sync and most of my texts were backed up, but I had a text that was locked that got deleted as well.

Oh well. I'll survive. Hopefully whatever causes it gets fixed in an update, even if it's by accident.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
iv had this problem also.. it has only happened 2 times, i thought it was just a glitch in handcent sms, cause it seems to only happen when using this program for me.

Droiduser13

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
New user trying to find answers to the same problem. This has just happened to me and I lost some "priceless" emails and I'm just sick about it. Really distraught. I don't want it to happen again and lose all my texts. All of them are gone. My settings are fine and set at max, so that shouldn't be the issue. What's going on???

Also, how can I recover my deleted messages? Anyone know of any available software apps?

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
New user trying to find answers to the same problem. This has just happened to me and I lost some "priceless" emails and I'm just sick about it. Really distraught. I don't want it to happen again and lose all my texts. All of them are gone. My settings are fine and set at max, so that shouldn't be the issue. What's going on???

Also, how can I recover my deleted messages? Anyone know of any available software apps?

If it was an email you shouldn't worry... I'm guessing that's a typo though.
Using Missing Sync, you can back messages up to your computer, but you can't recover ones that have already been deleted, so that's not very useful for you.

I'm wondering if having settings at max might even be the problem, that it overloads the system or something? Idk. It seems like everyone else that has been having this issue had messaging set to essentially not delete messages. The problem is that I didn't do that.

Droiduser13

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Ok, well yes I meant texts only. My settings did not change. I do not know why I'm having problems but obviously there are more problems than we know of.

phobostau

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
This just happened to me as well. I lost anywhere from 3,000 to 4,000 text messages. I am extremely angry right now, this is horrible.

I turned off my phone, and I don't want to turn it back on until there's a solution to undelete these messages.

Does anyone know if there's a way to access the flash memory that's inside the Droid using a computer?

Last edited: