I never realized...

CavemanOOGA

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Just how amazing and useful Google Navigation is. Don't get me wrong, ever since I got the Droid I LOVED the fact that it is basically a full fledged GPS system built into my phone. I used it once and loved it.

But today I picked up the car dock at my local Verizon store and now...its simply the most useful thing I have ever used on a mobile device. The car dock just makes the whole thing MUCH more appealing.

Now, even though I know all the routes in my town, I find reasons to use it. Going to work? I use it. Going to my friends house like I do every day? I use it.

Its so amazing. :D

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Just how amazing and useful Google Navigation is. Don't get me wrong, ever since I got the Droid I LOVED the fact that it is basically a full fledged GPS system built into my phone. I used it once and loved it.

But today I picked up the car dock at my local Verizon store and now...its simply the most useful thing I have ever used on a mobile device. The car dock just makes the whole thing MUCH more appealing.

Now, even though I know all the routes in my town, I find reasons to use it. Going to work? I use it. Going to my friends house like I do every day? I use it.

Its so amazing. :D

I haven't used the nav app yet because I have a GPS in my car. What I've noticed over the past year is how dependent I got on the GPS, even when in familiar territory. It's too tempting (for me) to keep glancing at it even when I know where I am and where I'm going.

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I also just got the car dock, and its like the second half of my "by a phone, get a car gps" arrived. The software is really tight, it works great, and the coolest part is that other than the car dock price, its a freebie. I lessthanthree my droid. :)

DF400ex

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I haven't used the nav app yet because I have a GPS in my car. What I've noticed over the past year is how dependent I got on the GPS, even when in familiar territory. It's too tempting (for me) to keep glancing at it even when I know where I am and where I'm going.

You should use them side by side and report what you find for us. I was going to get my wife a GPS for her truck for her birthday, but after getting my Droid, I just bought her one too. That way she gets the phone she wants and the GPS too.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I haven't used side by side, but I can tell you that its equal or better to a Tomtom. Its extremely accurate. At getting the acquisition. Plus like you guys said, the dock makes it all pretty tight.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
You should use them side by side and report what you find for us. I was going to get my wife a GPS for her truck for her birthday, but after getting my Droid, I just bought her one too. That way she gets the phone she wants and the GPS too.

It's funny you should mention that. Later today I'm going out with a bunch of friends of mine and I will be doing quite a bit of driving, and I planned on doing just that. I have a Magellan, so I will report back to you guys tonight on the results.

thekC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I've had the phone for just over a month, and when I needed Navigation the most (there's been two times), GPS was not available (once in DC, once in Richmond, Va). When it's working, it's unbelievable. When it isn't, unfortunately for me, when I've needed it the most, it might as well have been a Zack Morris phone.

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I lessthanthree my droid. :)

I'm so glad i'm not the only one who uses this phrase :D ...and I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YOU.

...I don't have the dock, but I always use the voice search by saying "Navigate to ______", then turn off the screen and put the droid in my cupholder... I love the step by step voice nav. Also, have you ever had to answer a call during your nav? Its cool that it overlays the voiced directions over the person you are talking with so you can hear both.

CavemanOOGA

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm so glad i'm not the only one who uses this phrase :D ...and I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YOU.

...I don't have the dock, but I always use the voice search by saying "Navigate to ______", then turn off the screen and put the droid in my cupholder... I love the step by step voice nav. Also, have you ever had to answer a call during your nav? Its cool that it overlays the voiced directions over the person you are talking with so you can hear both.

Sweet!
I was wondering the other day what would happen if I received a call while the sexy voice tells me where to go. :D

racermech

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Used it today for the second time, it was really good. I missed a turn and it knew it right away and told me to turn on the next street, I am pretty sure my built in gps would not of picked it up that quick. Pretty impressive.

I hope someone creates a voice skin for it. Some of the streets it is telling me to turn on I can't understand it. Today I turned on McKinley, I thought it was say minlinly, I just took a leap of blind faith and made the turn.

disasterinc

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Google navigation is great. I had paid for the garmin GPS application on my blackberry and its nice to have a better (and free!) GPS program for the droid.

TKNOVA

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I have been using the turn-by-turn voice navigation since the beginning. It has been flawless so far. Easy to use and effective in re-routing after purposeful wrong turns. I have used it in multiple cities without problems. My wife has a Magellan and the Droid is every bit as good for mapping, routing etc.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I used my Droid alongside my Magellan Roadmate the other day to see if there were any major discrepancies in the two and I honestly didn't see any. The Droid just kept churning along with the GPS without any hitches. The one thing I did notice however was that the Droid seemed to do a slightly better job at pinpointing my exact location. The Magellan was slightly off when I was sitting at an intersection (it showed me a little bit further away than I really was).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer