3G speeds vs WiFi speeds

Silent1

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Should 3G be faster than WiFi? No matter where I am at I can do a speed test and WiFi is always faster than my 3G connection. I was just curious if this is normal.

BTW my avg 3G DL speed is roughly 800 kb/s and UL speed is roughly 235 kb/s. And my WiFi speeds are typically ( at home ) is 2 mb/s DL and 750 kb/s UL.

japclev

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
No. Actually your WIFI speeds should be higher. Depending on what your ISP sells you as far as your speed package, take a percentage off for WIFI (example; mine is advertised 15,000 down, 2000 up, my WIFI is about 1/3 of that). On the other side of the coin, my 3g on a good day is 1000 down, and 500 up.

Hope it helps

Silent1

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks that does help. Ive been having issues with my D1 and I went to Verizon and explained the issues and the woman asked me why are you using wifi. I told her because its faster. She told me that wifi should never be faster than 3G.

Thats why i asked the question here. And i have noticed a drop in my 3G speed.

And just for info purposes the problem I'm having is when I switch from wifi to 3G there are times that 3G never reconnects till I reboot.

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I Googled this before. I found several articles saying that 3G was 1/3r'd the speed of WIFI. 4G at twice the speed of 3G should be the closesed to WIFI.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
LOL. Maybe when 4G hits, it can be faster depending on your wifi. Note also the other reason to use wifi is that it uses far less battery from what's been reported.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
For a point of reference, I have an HTC EVO...

On Sprint 3G, I get between 1450 kbps and 1850 kbps depending on the tower. This is pretty typical per users in other cities too.

On Sprint 4G, I get between 4000 kbps and 5000 kbps again depending on the towers in our market. Poor 4G coveage is still around 2500 kbps. Other markets report 6000 to 9000 kbps for 4G. Some on the east coast routinely report 10,000 kbps.

Reactions: Julez6245

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Thanks that does help. Ive been having issues with my D1 and I went to Verizon and explained the issues and the woman asked me why are you using wifi. I told her because its faster. She told me that wifi should never be faster than 3G.

Thats why i asked the question here. And i have noticed a drop in my 3G speed.

And just for info purposes the problem I'm having is when I switch from wifi to 3G there are times that 3G never reconnects till I reboot.

This just further underlines how much store representatives do not know. The speeds that you can get from 3G and wifi are very dependent on a number of factors. With Wifi, it depends on the internet access driving it. For example, if you have DSL internet access at home, it doesn't matter how fast of a wifi router you have, it will be limited by the internet access (DSL 1.5 - 3.0 Mbps, depending). If you have road runner or other cable provider internet, you could get significantly more.

Wifi always has the potential to be faster, but it really depends.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Ive been having issues with my D1 and I went to Verizon and explained the issues and the woman asked me why are you using wifi. I told her because its faster. She told me that wifi should never be faster than 3G.
It should go without saying that you need to take anything a store rep tells you with a grain of salt.

With Wifi, it depends on the internet access driving it. For example, if you have DSL internet access at home, it doesn't matter how fast of a wifi router you have, it will be limited by the internet access (DSL 1.5 - 3.0 Mbps, depending). If you have road runner or other cable provider internet, you could get significantly more.

Wifi always has the potential to be faster, but it really depends.
As well as your distance to the wireless access point, interference, etc.

Similarly, 3G speeds can vary.

Assuming that everything is optimal though, WiFi should be faster.

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
It should go without saying that you need to take anything a store rep tells you with a grain of salt.QUOTE]

Frankly, these days, it seems like you can't take it at all. I had a friend get their NE2 wiped our of the system "by accident", and the store rep really didn't know how to fix it. Everything can be done online. They should close the store fronts, save the overhead, and lower monthly fees.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae