My droid screen stopped functioning this morning after falling ~3 feet to the ground. The unit looks intact, but the screen doesn't work at all.

The phone still operates (well, it rings if I call it, and the new message LED still blinks when something comes in) so I know it's not battery related.

I've had the phone for just under 1 year. I think that I got it just before thanksgiving last year. I'm on Verizon Wireless and didn't elect to insure it.

Hoping that it's just a loose connection, I plan to follow the directions on YouTube called "Motorola Droid A855 Take Apart & Repair Directions" (sorry can't post a link) and see if I can re-seat one of the connectors.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to decide if I want to pay $$ to have it fixed, or just put that money towards a new phone.

Any thoughts before I get started? Or suggestions for what to do if I can't get the screen running?

thanks
    matt
    10-27-2010 10:01 AM
    It has a 12 manufacturer warranty thru Motorola. Call or go to your Verizon store before you do anything. I had a faulty headphone jack and they sent me a refurb Droid at no cost. It works great, no problems with it at all.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    10-27-2010 10:28 AM
    Matt: This happened to me today. Did you go to the Verizon store?
    10-30-2010 10:51 PM
    What is going on...this just happened to my wives phone. She got home from work received a call and the screen would not light up.
    10-31-2010 09:23 PM
    I went to the Verizon store over the weekend. The guy didn't even try to troubleshoot it, he just said "Ok, we'll order you a new one". I asked if he'd seen any issues like this before, but he said he hadn't.

Anyway, they send a reburb one to me in 48 hours. I have to send back the broken one within 10 days.

I've been running a 3rd party ROM, so i'd like to do a hard reset on the unit before sending it in. Since I can't see the screen to do anything, I'd need to use adb or something via USB.

This would be the right command(s) to reset my unit prior to return, right:

adb shell
    su
    format SYSTEM
    format DATA
    format CACHE
    11-03-2010 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD