Home Screen Redraw Issue Since FRG22D

Do you see home screen draw delays?

• Total voters

Deofol

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Seems like since the last update, the home screen, when coming out of an application, takes forever to draw. It happens about 5-6 times a day, when I hit home, I get a blank screen. After about 5-10 seconds the widgets and icons start appearing.

* I don't use any task killer
* I use default home screen
* I've uninstalled almost everything I don't really use anymore

Seems like maybe the system is closing the home application when its idle for a period of time? I've talked to other friends with Droids, and they have noticed the same thing.

Its very frustrating, anyone else seen this?

SolidOrange

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
this happens to almost everyone! i have tried many combinations of ROMs and launchers and found that all of them have the same issue. the only thing i have found that helps is the local.prop fix. to do this, DL and open Terminal Emulator, type su and enter. next type echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop and hit enter. now reboot. this basically forces your phone to keep the home screen in memory even when it is detrimental to other apps. it works better for some than it does for others, but it is worth a shot.

*forgot to mention that you have to be rooted to do this.

Last edited:

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
yeah when i had my droid i would experience redraws a lot. the only rom that seemed to not have redraws as much was chevy's and i had autokilller installed as well.

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
Yep, always after Angry Birds...I think it doesn't play well with others yet.

Seems to be particularly horrible after Angry Birds, yes, but I also get the problem fairly frequently coming out of the camera or gallery.

With Launcher Pro, the bottom icons are still there, so you can still make a call.

anon(47319)

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Seems to be particularly horrible after Angry Birds, yes, but I also get the problem fairly frequently coming out of the camera or gallery.

With Launcher Pro, the bottom icons are still there, so you can still make a call.

OH the gallery. It is another one of the worst offenders when it comes to this issue. Hopefully this problem can be fixed with an update. Until then, we are just gonna have to either root, or deal with it.

Arcendus

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not particularly thrilled with the idea of rooting my Droid just to fix these redraw issues, however I've heard that the root terminal fix also offers a noticeable speed boost (at least when using a non-default launcher). LauncherPro has proven invaluable in some cases of redraw (as dcreed said) due to the dock icons (Phone, Contacts, App Drawer, Messaging, and Browser). In any case, I'm hoping someone will find a fix that does not require root/superuser for those of us who are apprehensive. It's frustrating to know that FRG22D was released with this gigantic flaw.

Salacon

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'll just add my voice in here and say I definitely have this issue, too. It happens pretty often, and it's definitely everyday; in fact, it feels like the redraw issue occurs more often than not. My bottom buttons are always there, though; I'm on the stock launcher and not rooted. I suppose I have even more reason to be rooted now.