Car Dock...Turn off sleep mode!

haynesju

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Hello! I have the car dock...the one that didnt come with a charger of course...so i am having the issue of it going to sleep while in GPS mode. Is there any way, aside from buying a car charger, to make it so the phone does not go to sleep when it is in the car dock?

Thanks!

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I thought that when it's in the dock its not suppose to go into sleep mode? I just checked the setting>sound & display> screen time out and it doesnt have a turn off option. But if you had the charger Im thinking it would keep it on. I saw that the dock included a car charger..

haynesju

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
the longest you can make the screen time out it 30 minutes. I got the Dock from Verizon's website. It is Motorola brand and no car charger! Argh!

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I think thats really dumb that you cant keep the phone awake while its in navigation mode.. I understand with music but not when u need directions.

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Were u using the actual voice google nav? The only way to have it not time out is have a active route in google nav, or have a charger plugged in. U can get a charger for like 10 bux.

MaceInThePlace

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Check out Dock Awake. Has been working great for me. It recognizes when the phone is in the car dock and will prevent it from going to sleep without the charger. You can also specify how it will answer the phone while in the car dock (i.e. speaker, bluetooth, handset.) I also think it's free.

tealturboser

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Why not get a charger? I have no car dock but it doesnt sleep when I use Navi when it is on the charger. Also doesnt it wake up when it hits the next turn or change in direction?

TKNOVA

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I use the car dock frequently and almost always use it with a car charger. It is easier than messing around with the timeout settings or using a special app. More importantly, having the screen on and the GPS going both take a lot of battery. Using the car charger, I don't have to worry about remaining battery life after taking the phone out of the car dock.

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
If I'm using the navi, I always use a charger...GPS+screen on, plus data streaming, that's a lot of battery usage, so I figure it's better to charge it while I'm using it.

jstkdn

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Hello! I have the car dock...the one that didnt come with a charger of course...so i am having the issue of it going to sleep while in GPS mode. Is there any way, aside from buying a car charger, to make it so the phone does not go to sleep when it is in the car dock?

Thanks!

I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying this, but I have the car dock and my Droid does NOT go to sleep when I'm running the navigation. It does when it is just in standby mode but not when I'm actively using navigation.

xucardsfan08

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I would just go and get the car charger. Like other people said, using Google Nav with the screen on full would drain the battery pretty quickly. I have the Moto car dock and I just wrapped the car charger around the base so the mini-USB cable is always by the dock.

DobieG#AC

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
went and got DockAwake after reading thru this thread. i really like it and the dev is quick with email responses.

one thing i'm having trouble figuring out is how to make the screen timeout when connected to the desk dock while it's charging. if the phone isn't charging, the timeout works fine, but when it's charging, the multimedia screen stays on the whole time.

i verfied that settings->applications->development-> 'Stay Awake' is unchecked.

thanks, guys & gals. Happy Holidays!

cdaiscool#AC

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
went and got DockAwake after reading thru this thread. i really like it and the dev is quick with email responses.

one thing i'm having trouble figuring out is how to make the screen timeout when connected to the desk dock while it's charging. if the phone isn't charging, the timeout works fine, but when it's charging, the multimedia screen stays on the whole time.

i verfied that settings->applications->development-> 'Stay Awake' is unchecked.

thanks, guys & gals. Happy Holidays!

I think it's a feature of the Droid - it stays on because of bedside mode. I believe when it's out of bedside mode it'll time out, but I may be wrong. I know mine times out when it's just plugged directly into the charger, but stays awake when in bedside mode...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance