Dust under screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snakester9

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Two or three days ago I went to Best Buy and picked up a Droid. It worked great, no problems, but I woke up the next morning and noticed that there was a rather large speck of dust under the screen. No problem I figure, maybe this one wasn't sealed right. So I went ahead and took it back to best buy. They went ahead and swapped it out for me and gave me a new one. Use it for a day or two, and there's already a speck of ****ing dust under the screen again. NONE of my other cellphones (an ancient Virgin prepay, a nokia flipphone, a samsung instinct and a curve) had this problem, and I'm paying a lot more for this phone than I did for any of my other cellphones. I'd trade it out again, but I get the feeling this will only happen again (conveniently AFTER I get all my apps again and get the phone set up to my liking).

It's making me consider either getting an Eris (which I hear has TERRIBLE battery life) or maybe even looking into a 3GS, or maybe even (oh god) going back to a BlackBerry. The hardware on these things seems to be shoddily made (the screen dust, both my phones and a friends have had dented speaker grills right out of the box, loose battery doors) but there's really no equivalent phone out there.

Also, how long exactly is Verizon/Best Buy's return policy? I wanna see if it gets any worse over the next few days, as this speck really isn't in a terrible spot.

CavemanOOGA

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
First of, let me say that every single other device you have mentioned ALSO gets dust under the screen. Its all a matter of what you do to prevent that from happening... and minus the Eris I have owned both other devices. So yes I know...

Anyways, I must ask you, what exactly do you do with your device on a daily basis? Do you put it in your pocket? Screen protector? Case?

snakester9

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
First of, let me say that every single other device you have mentioned ALSO gets dust under the screen. Its all a matter of what you do to prevent that from happening... and minus the Eris I have owned both other devices. So yes I know...

Anyways, I must ask you, what exactly do you do with your device on a daily basis? Do you put it in your pocket? Screen protector? Case?

When I'm working, it stays in my pocket. Otherwise it's either on a table of some sort, or on my car seat next to me, playing through an FM transmitter. I don't see how a screen protector would help with stuff getting under the screen, and I haven't invested in a case yet, as I havent really found one in the style I want (a case I can just slip the phone in an out of, not too bulky, that i can just drop in my pocket)

My BlackBerry got dust under the screen only AFTER I did a screen swap to deal with the phone screen being scratched, so that was my fault. I will admit I kept that in a case, but it came with said case. I don't remember the Instinct having dust under its screen, but even if it did, it didn't pick it up on the first DAY I owned the thing, which is the part that scares me the most. If i've got dust under the screen on my first day of owning the phone, who the hell knows how bad it's gonna get, and I'm stuck with it for two years.

If its such a big problem, why didn't they include an el-cheapo case? They obviously could have afforded it, they threw a 16 GB memory card in hte phone...

bmderuosi

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I don't think I have ever had dust under a cell phone screen. But oh well. Maybe keeping it in your pocket is the problem, although I think this is the first time I have seen any of the comlaints you listed. My. Battery door is actually hard to get off. For what its worth I think this phone is very well put together.

n2o

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I have a friend who says he has a ton of dust under it as well, but I've always kept my phone in my pocket with no case, no protector, nothing, and have zero problems. We both have the same version number of phone (born on date) so the only thing I can think of... DON'T LEAVE TISSUES IN YOUR POCKET. And wash your clothes. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol