Want to buy Droid, what are the chances of getting these discounts in store?

Jibeker

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
If I buy the phone online, the activation fee gets waived and the $100 off becomes an automatic discount instead of a mail-in-rebate.

Problem is, since I'm transferring over my phone number, I'd have to go 1-2 days without a phone. This isn't good, with work and all.

So, to anyone who would know this, if I went into a store and spoke with a manager and asked nicely (or just explained the situation), what would be the chances of getting those same discounts in-store? I have no doubt that they would waive the activation fee in there, but what about getting that $100 MIR turned into an automatic rebate / discount?

Thanks much.

Kaus

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
:)Not in my store.. work corporation we don't match online and trust me we wish we could. Try a third party store like amcom

Marine One#AC

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Keep in mind that if you buy at the store and pay full price, you'll also be paying sales tax on that extra hundred bucks, and I believe that the rebate is actually a Visa gift card.

Jibeker

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Right. I just didn't want to order it online and have to go a day or two without a phone.

And I'm trying to find out right now if Best Buy offers 1-year contract discounts or if they are only 2-year contracts.

gvillager

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Scratch that. Best Buy requires a 2 year plan.

Lame. Looks like I'm going without a phone for a little bit.

Buy the phone online but just have them give you a new number. Once you have the phone call up customer service to have your number ported over. It's a relatively simple process.

Jibeker

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Just to update you guys, I went into my local Verizon store and the manager was more than happy to turn the mail in rebate into an instant rebate.

I don't know if it's because he was awesome, or if it was because I explained that I work in a law firm and going 2+ days without my cell phone is not very good.

Marine One#AC

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Just to update you guys, I went into my local Verizon store and the manager was more than happy to turn the mail in rebate into an instant rebate.

I don't know if it's because he was awesome, or if it was because I explained that I work in a law firm and going 2+ days without my cell phone is not very good.

Doesn't matter, because in the end you got what you wanted. Hopefully that will make you a satisfied customer, something that is a rarity these days. I was always impressed with the customer service that I received from Alltel, and was afraid that when the were merged into Verizon I'd lose that. So far that has not been the case. I bought my droid over the internet. When I had problems with the first one, I called Verizon and they told me to take it to a store for an exchange. I did as the suggested, and received a new phone, no questions asked. So far, so good.