Video Formats for the Droid

mskaplan

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Full Screen Video Figured Out

Have some .avi TV show episodes on my computer that I want to watch on my Droid. I use Handbrake to convert the .avi's to mpeg4. I set the new resolution to that of the screen (854x480) and while this changes the aspect ratio (makes things look a little wider) I think it is worth it to have the Droid's entire screen filled. Really does not distort it enough to make all that much of a difference. One quick question. I am using Handbrake's "FFMpeg" Codec (other options XVid and X264). Will there be a noticeable difference in quality between these 3? I use Act 1 to watch, and it seems to be able to read all 3. I just picked FFMpeg because it seems to be going the fastest (20min episode of American Dad took about 6 minutes to re-code.. the other ones were more like 10-20). So I am just wondering, does anyone know the difference between FFMpeg, XVid, and X264, and if so, is there a noticeable difference between them?

dadman#AC

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Hello, I'm brand new to the Droid, coming from the Iphone. One thing I loved about the Iphone (I hated AT&T) was the ability to transfer and watch video.

I've tried to transfer a few of the videos I have on my Mac. One is a .mov that I made. The other is a tv show downloaded from Itunes.

After transferring the 2, I can't find the .mov on the Droid and the tv show will not play.

Help:
**what formats of video will play on the Droid?
**Do I need to do anything special to them to get them to play?

Thanks!

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I know that the droid records video in .3gp format, which is designed for cell phones. That means that it can also play .3gpp and .3g2 formats I think. Beyond that, I'm not sure what it can play. I'm guessing .mpg formats, but again, I'm not sure.

dadman#AC

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
More Help Needed

I transferred a .avi file to the Droid. I unmounted it, went to the phone - can't even find it.

Is there a certain file it is supposed to go into?

Thanks for your help!

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
The android gallery app tends to find files regardless of where you place them on your card. Try unplugging your USB cable. For some reason that apparently changes things. Also, make sure you're browsing the right category in the gallery app.

jbharman45

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
That means no AVI or WMV. Best best is to do the conversion to the .m4v just like you used on the iPhone/Touch. Works great on the Droid.

dadman#AC

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Help!

OK, I've taken a video that was an .avi file and used Handbrake to convert it to Mpeg-4. I loaded it on the Droid, I go to Galary and it sees the file. I click on it to play and the only thing I get is sound.

Help me please. This was one of my concerns about the Droid and it is coming true. I've read the posts and am thankful for everyone's help.

What am I doing wrong?

Heyitsthatguy

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't know about video formats but I know that there are great video players on the marketplace like Meridian and mVideoPlayer that seem to be significantly better video players than the stock one.

jdaly

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
OK, I've taken a video that was an .avi file and used Handbrake to convert it to Mpeg-4. I loaded it on the Droid, I go to Galary and it sees the file. I click on it to play and the only thing I get is sound.

Help me please. This was one of my concerns about the Droid and it is coming true. I've read the posts and am thankful for everyone's help.

What am I doing wrong?

Choose the iPhone & iPod Touch preset in Handbrake (cmd-T). That should help.

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I have used WinX Free DVD to Iphone Ripper to rip and also as mentioned above Handbrake with the Iphone preset. Video quality is great and sound is in sync. Google search either and you will find a free download.

MedlongOne

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I tried ripping with handbrake, but the file was either to big or severely distorted. I used the Iphone settings as well. I was trying to convert Wolverine and The Dark Knight. Any suggestions?
I even tried dragging and dropping the digital copy, but it said it was unable to play.

MedlongOne

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
The free version won't let me rip Wolverine because it's digitally protected. I had to use the demo Platinum version. Works great except it will only download up to 5 minutes of each chapter. Most chapters it only ripped a few seconds. Thoughts? Am I doing something wrong?

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
The free version won't let me rip Wolverine because it's digitally protected. I had to use the demo Platinum version. Works great except it will only download up to 5 minutes of each chapter. Most chapters it only ripped a few seconds. Thoughts? Am I doing something wrong?

I have not had any issues with any DVD so far but I have not tried anything as new as Wolverine. I downloaded WINX the same day the Droid came out but do not remember if there was a platinum version then or not.

The last two things i ripped were Superbad and a few of my P90X discs. Did you have the same issue when using HandBrake? You may want to Google for different DVD Rippers or search AC for more answers.

mrpspman

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I dont know exactly ... But im used to using something called android video converter to convert TV show, mainstream video even HD video (.MKV/.MOD/.M2TS/.TP) to droid-friendly format .MP4 . Easy-to-use.