02-19-2010 12:02 AM
191 ... 5678
tools
    id suggest waiting as well. Only possible reason to steer off this path is to root now so you can get stuff like the multitouch browser since that is probably not coming anytime soon in any ota updates.
    01-12-2010 10:29 AM
    but once u root, can u still get official updates? are there any downfalls to rooting?
    01-13-2010 07:58 AM
    it's tricky. I would never run a verizon update on a modified phone (i.e. after installing multi-touch browser)... If all you did was apply the root patch, then you're fine, you can actually rerun the 2.0.1 update we got and it works perfectly as expected, and simply removes your privileges to run as root. But if you started making changes to your system, especially the locked system files that normally you can't touch, I'd be afraid to run any oem update as it could cause issues or it could just fail.

All that said, after rooting, most people then back up the entire state of their droid files (another process you must follow in my opinion when rooting). So thats what I did, rooted, backed up everything, then i started trying things. When the official update comes in, if the hackers haven't released a rooted version yet for me, I will most probably revert to my earliest backup and will be able to apply the official update. Only problem there is that then I will lose root

Anyways, if you're technically savvy or enjoy hacking into your phone, then root it up. But it's definitely not for everyone. rooting I think is built up to be some major change to your phone, but in reality it's as simple as installing one binary onto the filesystem. So there should be no fear in "rooting". It does involve some coding and if you like your droid the way it is, just stick with it in my opinion. I'm a software enginner by profession, and probably wouldn't hack my phone otherwise.
    01-13-2010 08:57 AM
    Rooted, tried it, didn't see any major benefit. Going back was extremely easy.
    01-13-2010 09:06 AM
    Rooted, tried it, didn't see any major benefit. Going back was extremely easy.
    Same here.
    01-13-2010 09:07 AM
    thx fo the info on rooting. i think ill pass. i jus like playing around. i dont wanna get too involved. its my only form of contact with the outer world.lol
    01-13-2010 10:58 AM
    oh and by the way,i think the nexus one is a flop. so glad i didnt get one. i still say the droid is the best potential phone out there.
    01-13-2010 11:08 AM
    oh and by the way,i think the nexus one is a flop. so glad i didnt get one. i still say the droid is the best potential phone out there.
    The sales suck so far. However they got 2.1 before us.:rolleyes:
    01-13-2010 11:11 AM
    I know that 2.1 on droid will be more stable and possibly a variant of what I tried from all the ports outs there, but i'll be honest with you, I'm pretty content with 2.0.1. Assuming the 2.1 droid gets has the same 3d app drawer that is found on the nexus 2.1, I'm really just not a fan of it. It has a much different feel than the current app drawer on 2.0.1 and even after a few weeks I just couldn't get used to it. Maybe if they tweak it for hte droid it will be smoother, but I'm not sure I will ever like it more than what we have on 2.0.1 from a functional perspective. Other than that, the coolest part to me for 2.1 is the new home launcher with 5 screens. Again tho, unless it's optimized, the one i tried from nexus had a massive memory imprint, about 2 to 3 times the size of the 2.0.1 launcher.

All and all, i think 2.1 on droid will be awesome for sure, but I feel like i'm almost at 100% contentness with my 2.0.1 right now.
    01-13-2010 11:16 AM
    true.....but what will the droid be with 2.1? droid has proved itself with 2.0. just wait till 2.1 . gonnabesweet. nexus one has a longggg way to go. sure its got all the goods, but it takes more than goodies to make a phone successful. just my opinion.
    01-13-2010 11:18 AM
    great points dag.
    01-13-2010 11:20 AM
    In all honesty, I just want that freaking Sense UI back.
    01-13-2010 12:33 PM
    of course the 2.1 builds are unoptimized for the droid, they are designed for different hardware. most of the 2.1 builds i've seen are basically happy with everything working and don't get around to spending a lot of time optimizing it.

running the latest 2.0.1 sholes rom (they updated it recently) the new app drawer moves much smoother than before, could be due to the OC, or the larger swap file, or the optimization, but in the current iteration, it's very fluid and i like it much more than the old drawer.

the n1 can hardly be deemed a failure so quickly. all it needs is some marketing, a larger network (and thus subscriber base), and a proper retail channel (i am not buying a phone from google.) personally, those would probably get me to try it out.

but then, i just like having new things.
    01-13-2010 12:36 PM
    of course the 2.1 builds are unoptimized for the droid, they are designed for different hardware. most of the 2.1 builds i've seen are basically happy with everything working and don't get around to spending a lot of time optimizing it.

running the latest 2.0.1 sholes rom (they updated it recently) the new app drawer moves much smoother than before, could be due to the OC, or the larger swap file, or the optimization, but in the current iteration, it's very fluid and i like it much more than the old drawer.

the n1 can hardly be deemed a failure so quickly. all it needs is some marketing, a larger network (and thus subscriber base), and a proper retail channel (i am not buying a phone from google.) personally, those would probably get me to try it out.

but then, i just like having new things.
    me too.me too.
    01-13-2010 01:23 PM
    by the way,fed ex just dropped off some goodies for me i ordered a couple days ago....was bored. got a cradle and a hard plastic case. also some screen protectors. really dont like any of it. lol
    01-13-2010 01:32 PM
    update: i do like the cradle now. hehe. by the way, who is gonna update manually again once this 2.1 rolls out? and whos gonna wait?
    01-15-2010 10:18 AM
    update: i do like the cradle now. hehe. by the way, who is gonna update manually again once this 2.1 rolls out? and whos gonna wait?
    Update manually is what I am waiting for. I am not patient enough to wait.
    01-15-2010 10:53 AM
    there's absolutely nothing different from a manual update vs waiting except the manual labor involved in applying it yourself
    01-15-2010 11:16 AM
    Yup. So many co-workers believe that if you apply the update manually, you no longer get OTA updates. This is not true, they should have a Myth Busters episode on this.
    01-15-2010 11:19 AM
    lol, myth busters. i will be applying this manually asap. gotta do it.
    01-15-2010 11:35 AM
    i'm holding off on all anticipation until we get a firm date or some kind of announcement from verizon like last time where they had a document explaining what was coming in detail. Then my friends I shall be excited. All this said, I'm actually working on "not obessing" about my phone, cause i realized that I spend A LOT of time either on the phone or on forums about the phone damn this droid, taking over my existence
    01-15-2010 11:37 AM
    i'm holding off on all anticipation until we get a firm date or some kind of announcement from verizon like last time where they had a document explaining what was coming in detail. Then my friends I shall be excited. All this said, I'm actually working on "not obessing" about my phone, cause i realized that I spend A LOT of time either on the phone or on forums about the phone damn this droid, taking over my existence
    Its taking over. Droid does.
    01-15-2010 11:42 AM
    Yup. So many co-workers believe that if you apply the update manually, you no longer get OTA updates. This is not true, they should have a Myth Busters episode on this.
    That is what I was told as well, thanks for saying this. So I can root my phone and update to 2.1 and still recieve OTA updates?
    01-15-2010 11:57 AM
    That is what I was told as well, thanks for saying this. So I can root my phone and update to 2.1 and still recieve OTA updates?
    If you root, you will still get OTA updates.
    If you root and run a custom unsigned rom you will not.
    If you want root and 2.1, you should wait for someone to make a 2.1 update with root.
    There is a chance that this OTA update might patch the root and you would no longer have root on your Droid.
    That is why those that want root and 2.1 are not doing the OTA update and are waiting for a custom update zip.
    01-15-2010 12:03 PM
    OK, and once the root is patched we will lose the ability to root the droid? Or until a new hole is found?

So is it possible to put 2.1 on without rooting your droid?

I would like to root because I am a tinkerer and like to customize my things, but as of now I wouldnt know how to actually make the changes I want, is there some place that can instruct me?

Sorry for the newbish questions
    01-15-2010 12:38 PM
191 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD