android 2.1 leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
of course the 2.1 builds are unoptimized for the droid, they are designed for different hardware. most of the 2.1 builds i've seen are basically happy with everything working and don't get around to spending a lot of time optimizing it.

running the latest 2.0.1 sholes rom (they updated it recently) the new app drawer moves much smoother than before, could be due to the OC, or the larger swap file, or the optimization, but in the current iteration, it's very fluid and i like it much more than the old drawer.

the n1 can hardly be deemed a failure so quickly. all it needs is some marketing, a larger network (and thus subscriber base), and a proper retail channel (i am not buying a phone from google.) personally, those would probably get me to try it out.

but then, i just like having new things. :p

droidweasel

Nov 14, 2009
www.minnesotavikings.com
of course the 2.1 builds are unoptimized for the droid, they are designed for different hardware. most of the 2.1 builds i've seen are basically happy with everything working and don't get around to spending a lot of time optimizing it.

running the latest 2.0.1 sholes rom (they updated it recently) the new app drawer moves much smoother than before, could be due to the OC, or the larger swap file, or the optimization, but in the current iteration, it's very fluid and i like it much more than the old drawer.

the n1 can hardly be deemed a failure so quickly. all it needs is some marketing, a larger network (and thus subscriber base), and a proper retail channel (i am not buying a phone from google.) personally, those would probably get me to try it out.

but then, i just like having new things. :p

me too.me too.

droidweasel

Nov 14, 2009
www.minnesotavikings.com
by the way,fed ex just dropped off some goodies for me i ordered a couple days ago....was bored. got a cradle and a hard plastic case. also some screen protectors. really dont like any of it. lol

R

Roy Aguilera

update: i do like the cradle now. hehe. by the way, who is gonna update manually again once this 2.1 rolls out? and whos gonna wait?

Update manually is what I am waiting for. I am not patient enough to wait.

R

Roy Aguilera

Yup. So many co-workers believe that if you apply the update manually, you no longer get OTA updates. This is not true, they should have a Myth Busters episode on this.;)

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
i'm holding off on all anticipation until we get a firm date or some kind of announcement from verizon like last time where they had a document explaining what was coming in detail. Then my friends I shall be excited. All this said, I'm actually working on "not obessing" about my phone, cause i realized that I spend A LOT of time either on the phone or on forums about the phone :) damn this droid, taking over my existence

R

Roy Aguilera

i'm holding off on all anticipation until we get a firm date or some kind of announcement from verizon like last time where they had a document explaining what was coming in detail. Then my friends I shall be excited. All this said, I'm actually working on "not obessing" about my phone, cause i realized that I spend A LOT of time either on the phone or on forums about the phone :) damn this droid, taking over my existence

Its taking over. Droid does.:D

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Yup. So many co-workers believe that if you apply the update manually, you no longer get OTA updates. This is not true, they should have a Myth Busters episode on this.;)

That is what I was told as well, thanks for saying this. So I can root my phone and update to 2.1 and still recieve OTA updates?

R

Roy Aguilera

That is what I was told as well, thanks for saying this. So I can root my phone and update to 2.1 and still recieve OTA updates?

If you root, you will still get OTA updates.
If you root and run a custom unsigned rom you will not.
If you want root and 2.1, you should wait for someone to make a 2.1 update with root.
There is a chance that this OTA update might patch the root and you would no longer have root on your Droid.
That is why those that want root and 2.1 are not doing the OTA update and are waiting for a custom update zip.

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
OK, and once the root is patched we will lose the ability to root the droid? Or until a new hole is found?

So is it possible to put 2.1 on without rooting your droid?

I would like to root because I am a tinkerer and like to customize my things, but as of now I wouldnt know how to actually make the changes I want, is there some place that can instruct me?

Sorry for the newbish questions

R

Roy Aguilera

You will loose it (root) until a new hole is found. You can have 2.1 without root as soon as it is released by VZW (hopefully next week).

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I think I will wait for 2.1, but if I decide to root, is there a place where I can learn how to make "superuser changes" i.e the black notification bar. Or just a place where I can learn of all the things that can be done?

R

Roy Aguilera

I think I will wait for 2.1, but if I decide to root, is there a place where I can learn how to make "superuser changes" i.e the black notification bar. Or just a place where I can learn of all the things that can be done?

Google All Droid org
Those guys love to mess with stuff like that and are very helpfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol