03-17-2010 06:05 PM
885 ... 33343536
tools
    I notice the postings about the 2.1 update did not include Improvements in Battery life?

Originally when I saw postings about the 2.1 update, improved battery life was one of the top 6 things it was slated to do, did they pull this, or maybe not include it since live wallpapers may counter act the improved battery life?

M
    It probably does. It more than likely has lots of minor fixes and such that are too numerous to list on that PDF or they just don't feel the need to mention those until it hits.
    03-17-2010 11:32 AM
    After I get the 2.1 update, can I easily install the CyanogenMod 5.0.4.2? I am new to this, but does that mean I won't have to root to get it?
    03-17-2010 11:38 AM
    After I get the 2.1 update, can I easily install the CyanogenMod 5.0.4.2?
    Someone will have to hack the 2.1 for the Droid.

Unless this has already been accomplished?

Different kernels tho!?
    03-17-2010 11:39 AM
    Either way DroidWeasel was right Thursday midnight is really Friday already.
    03-17-2010 11:40 AM
    Psst, its noon Not midnight.
    03-17-2010 11:42 AM
    Really? That would be a first. This is normally done at night.
    So 9AM tomorrow it is.
    03-17-2010 11:43 AM
    Really? That would be a first. This is normally done at night.
    Yeah, they said Noon EST. "High noon" as said here on AC

So 9am for you cali kids
    03-17-2010 11:44 AM
    After I get the 2.1 update, can I easily install the CyanogenMod 5.0.4.2? I am new to this, but does that mean I won't have to root to get it?
    Or you can do what I did, and upgrade to whatever ROM you want now, and wait for the devs to crack the new release and incorporate all the new features onto the ROMs.
    03-17-2010 11:53 AM
    Yeah, they said Noon EST. "High noon" as said here on AC

So 9am for you cali kids
    I read "High Moon", the first time around.
    03-17-2010 12:01 PM
    I'm excited to see the next gen of Roms based on Stock 2.1. This is what I've been waiting for.. a new toy on my new toy to tinker with

They are already out there.
    03-17-2010 12:11 PM
    see i am just hoping that there is something exclusive for the droid, something that hasn't been released or mentioned even. otherwise everything that comes with it will just be a packaged upgrade with everything we have been able to add the past 2 months manually (gallery, media player, multi-touch). i just think it is a disappointment if nothing is different or added because this could have been pushed out in december, january or even febuary. it just seems like this update was not a priority for verizon and possibly even motorola. think of it this way, Verizon has probably already peaked at droid sales (they will sell more but it will be over time and not as much as they have over the past 4 months) and Motorola is working on the droid 2 and other devices which have their proprietary system, motoblur. I think if this was a major deal to Motorola and even more importantly to Verizon, this would have been released a while ago. this update was dragged out longer than needed. hell, if Rom Creators can make roms that incorporate all of these extras way before this update comes out then why couldn't this have been out in january or febuary.

don't get me wrong, this is definitely better than nothing but i just cant help but feel the long wait was unnecessary.
    03-17-2010 12:34 PM
    see i am just hoping that there is something exclusive for the droid, something that hasn't been released or mentioned even. otherwise everything that comes with it will just be a packaged upgrade with everything we have been able to add the past 2 months manually (gallery, media player, multi-touch). i just think it is a disappointment if nothing is different or added because this could have been pushed out in december, january or even febuary. it just seems like this update was not a priority for verizon and possibly even motorola. think of it this way, Verizon has probably already peaked at droid sales (they will sell more but it will be over time and not as much as they have over the past 4 months) and Motorola is working on the droid 2 and other devices which have their proprietary system, motoblur. I think if this was a major deal to Motorola and even more importantly to Verizon, this would have been released a while ago. this update was dragged out longer than needed. hell, if Rom Creators can make roms that incorporate all of these extras way before this update comes out then why couldn't this have been out in january or febuary.

don't get me wrong, this is definitely better than nothing but i just cant help but feel the long wait was unnecessary.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    03-17-2010 12:45 PM
    Theres a thread for this above.
    03-17-2010 12:46 PM
    I read High moo...

Yeah...
    03-17-2010 12:49 PM

Only thing that it might add that is not on the pdf file that is in the front page is:
    A block for Root.
    03-17-2010 01:10 PM
    I don't expect anything extra. Bottom line is this update is still not late, yeah the rug was pulled out from under us but maybe they just added Live wallpapers in that time? I don't expect anything beyond what they told us we're getting.
    03-17-2010 01:11 PM
    Howd an HTC hero 2.0 thread get here?

Look on the front page... Did someone merge an htc thread into this thread?
    03-17-2010 01:17 PM
    Just relaying what I heard. Im not one to start false hope.lol
    03-17-2010 01:19 PM
    It is among the friendliest sites I have ever been to. Droid owners like BB Storm 1/2 owners just expect the best and want it now.

Honestly, this highly anticipated update has brought out the ugliest sides of people. Just glad that its here. Then we can lock this badboy up and open an official findings thread.
    03-17-2010 01:19 PM
    It is among the friendliest sites I have ever been to. Droid owners like BB Storm 1/2 owners just expect the best and want it now.

Honestly, this highly anticipated update has brought out the ugliest sides of people. Just glad that its here. Then we can lock this badboy up and open an official findings thread.
    I hear ya. Maybe now I keep the droid and forget the nexus. We will see.
    03-17-2010 01:24 PM
    Just relaying what I heard. Im not one to start false hope.lol
    12 PM is not midnight......
    03-17-2010 01:26 PM
    12:PM EST is midnight in Japan.
    03-17-2010 01:30 PM
    Only thing that it might add that is not on the pdf file that is in the front page is:
    A block for Root.
    haha ya that could be true. im sure some hacker will get passed it if that is true. time will tell though.

im sure a lot of people are debating about unrooting for the update but it just doesn't seem reasonable to unroot. why not just wait and do it when the file is available to manually install? that seems like the most beneficial way to experience the official update and still have guaranteed root access for future use
    03-17-2010 01:31 PM
    Does anyone know how many home screens will be supported. 3 is too few and every home screen replacement I have tried slowed my droid down.
    03-17-2010 01:55 PM
    3 will be what it comes with...get a home replacement if you want more...or root your phone to add a 5 screen launcher...

I think the only exclusive tidbit this update will add is the neural network live wallpaper which is a darker only red lights version of the nexus one (red yellow blue green lights) live wallpaper
    03-17-2010 02:02 PM
885 ... 33343536
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD