01-30-2010 01:21 AM
599 ... 23456 ...
tools
    ya, he even stated that 2.1 for the droid would be about the same time as the n1 is released.
    01-08-2010 11:18 AM
    I highly Doubt Motorola or VZW would want to hold 2.1 off till March.
    01-08-2010 11:28 AM
    The N1 has already been released. I don't think they were referring to the CDMA version.
    01-08-2010 11:57 AM
    Is the Droid eris going to be getting 2.1??
    01-08-2010 07:23 PM
    Rumor has it...
    01-08-2010 07:31 PM
    It's supposed to drop in the first quarter.
    01-08-2010 07:43 PM
    As a Droid owner I am looking forward to getting android 2.1 on it but all this mystery and drama regarding whether it would ever happen or not is just crazy. Between Google and Motorola they should just spell out in black and white exactly what the road map will be for their software and hardware. That's just common customer courtesy. That half baked response from the Motorola CEO a couple days ago was a disservice and very disrespectful to all their existing Droid customers. Without the customers they have no future business.
    01-08-2010 08:36 PM
    RIM works the same way. There was no set day for any OS release.
    01-08-2010 09:31 PM
    As a Droid owner I am looking forward to getting android 2.1 on it but all this mystery and drama regarding whether it would ever happen or not is just crazy. Between Google and Motorola they should just spell out in black and white exactly what the road map will be for their software and hardware. That's just common customer courtesy. That half baked response from the Motorola CEO a couple days ago was a disservice and very disrespectful to all their existing Droid customers. Without the customers they have no future business.

Did you buy the phone for what it was off the shelf? Did it fulfill those needs? If it did not, why did you keep it?

Motorola doesn't owe its customers 2.1. It sold the device with 2.0, and you bought it as such. They are only really obligated to provide bugfixes.

I am pleased they are bringing us 2.1. They could have just as easily said, "no, 2.1 will not be until we ship our snapdragon phones."

So impatient.

Maybe its just me, but RIM has taught me patience. Not that it paid off. But trust me, I know what waiting is, and so far, this is nothing.
    01-08-2010 09:53 PM
    So true, the first 9530 mr took a lifetime, the second one took two.
    01-08-2010 10:00 PM
    lol welcome to the wonderful world of smartphones...like a soap opera. lol
    01-09-2010 12:05 AM
    Lol, yea this does remind me of the BB Storm but so much on a lesser scale. My phone works fine so I'm perfectly happy. But knowing the upgrades will come within a couple months is exciting and makes people antsy I guess. We did buy the phone with 2.0 but it definitely makes me happier with the companies and more likely to go back when the phone is continually supported.
    01-09-2010 12:50 AM
    I dont at all expect moto or anyone to say exactly when a software update is comin out... you realize the reason they dont is they are working on it and everyone would be up in arms if suddenly they didnt give us something on the pre announced date, theyre covering themselves and making sure that its actually ready to release (kind of like what RIM did NOT do with the storm )
    01-09-2010 02:11 AM
    I dont at all expect moto or anyone to say exactly when a software update is comin out... you realize the reason they dont is they are working on it and everyone would be up in arms if suddenly they didnt give us something on the pre announced date, theyre covering themselves and making sure that its actually ready to release (kind of like what RIM did NOT do with the storm )
    I couldn't have said it better myself.
    01-09-2010 04:07 AM
    agreed, the only reason there are never concrete release dates for things such as mr's, is because its a way to cover yourself if you get behind schedule.

I mean if they said it'd be coming Feb 1st, and there was some glitch that pushed development back a week or two you'd have everyone on the forum crying bloody murder and what a POS moto is for not delivering on their promise.
    01-09-2010 08:06 AM
    Jeremy/Cory, is this the second largest thread on the forum? Just curious, like George.

Edit: It's among the top 5
    01-09-2010 09:15 AM
    or incase you like phone that actually WORK..in which case, the Droid is better...

just like the other sites, the Nexus One is..."meh". Engadget prefers the Droid over it. Once the Droid gets the 2.1 update, there will be NO stopping it.
    01-09-2010 01:44 PM
    I'm really looking forward to 2.1 being pushed out to the Droid. One of the guys I work with rooted his Droid and is running a N1 ROM. Very nice. I don't know if I'm at the point I want to chance rooting quite yet.
    01-09-2010 03:42 PM
    agreed, the only reason there are never concrete release dates for things such as mr's, is because its a way to cover yourself if you get behind schedule.

I mean if they said it'd be coming Feb 1st, and there was some glitch that pushed development back a week or two you'd have everyone on the forum crying bloody murder and what a POS moto is for not delivering on their promise.
    and its not like companies wont continue to put out updates for smartphones as they come out...its called being competitive. If the N1 got android 2.1 and the droid didnt why would anyone buy the droid anymore. Moto and VZW will push this out as soon as its ready and working perfectly to stay competitive. As much as id love for this to be out when i get the phone around the 24th, Id much rather it work (android 2.0) than be useless and buggy (BB 4.7)
    01-09-2010 03:44 PM
    I'm new to the Droid, so I'm not sure how this works. Does Motorola. Or Verizon release the OS updates?
    T
    01-09-2010 06:24 PM
    I'm new to the Droid, so I'm not sure how this works. Does Motorola. Or Verizon release the OS updates?
    T
    I think the updates are released by Google, tweaked by Motorola for specific hardware models, and pushed out to the phones OTA by Verizon.
    01-09-2010 06:26 PM
    I think the updates are released by Google, tweaked by Motorola for specific hardware models, and pushed out to the phones OTA by Verizon.
    That sounds about right.
    01-09-2010 07:14 PM
    I think the whole idea of not informing customers just in case you're late is ridiculous.

That's like not telling a friend what time you're going to meet them in case you hit traffic or get a flat.

If you anticipate issues, here's an idea, leave the house earlier, and maybe, gasp, be early.

It's the same with Moto/Google/Verizon. Even if they gave a super conservative ETA, at least people would feel secure that they were getting the best out there, at some point. And hey, if they finish early, better for everyone.

And, to the poster who commented that buying a phone is an as-is situation, that used to be the case. Not anymore. People now buy phones based on the POTENTIAL the device has. That's why people stuck with the G1. They knew that it didn't have video recording, an onscreen keyboard and a bunch of other basic features-- but because they knew a timeframe in which it would arrive, they were fine waiting.
    01-09-2010 11:41 PM
    I think the whole idea of not informing customers just in case you're late is ridiculous.
    Yes, but look at AT&T saying "late summer" for MMS functionality on the iPhone. It technically didn't come out until fall (3 days after summer ended I believe), and the company is still getting hell from it.

Hell, I gave customer service hell on the phone for it.

Verizon/Motorola probably don't want to have to deal with people in case of that "just in case" situation.
    01-10-2010 12:09 AM

That's like not telling a friend what time you're going to meet them in case you hit traffic or get a flat.

If you anticipate issues, here's an idea, leave the house earlier, and maybe, gasp, be early.

It's the same with Moto/Google/Verizon. Even if they gave a super conservative ETA, at least people would feel secure that they were getting the best out there, at some point. And hey, if they finish early, better for everyone.

And, to the poster who commented that buying a phone is an as-is situation, that used to be the case. Not anymore. People now buy phones based on the POTENTIAL the device has. That's why people stuck with the G1. They knew that it didn't have video recording, an onscreen keyboard and a bunch of other basic features-- but because they knew a timeframe in which it would arrive, they were fine waiting.
    First the customer/company relationship is too different from a friendship to compare...if your 5 minutes late to meet a friend for dinner it wont be a huge deal.... if a company (who doesnt even have to release updates) says something will be out on a certain day or even a certain month and its late people are up in arms. Companies cant just "leave early" once new software is out, they have to wait to see what issues arise and then they begin developing something new right away. With android they seem to make sure its right before releasing it. If you want a platform like you described...you can have my old storm on BB 4.7. Google and Moto already said it would be coming soon and that should be enough. Even if you buy a phone for its potential, the seller doesnt sell it to you because of potential....where does it say in your contract or terms of use that they HAVE to provide certain updates. I want updates as much as the next guy and if they wernt updating the droid that would be stupid and bad business but they dont HAVE to do it.
    01-10-2010 01:45 AM
599 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD