Droid slowing down

Kaizmuth

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Over the past week, I've noticed that my droid seems to be slowing down. I haven't added any new apps, but it seems like there's a slight bit of lag that's slowly getting worse.

It's locked up completely on me twice in the last 3 days, and randomly rebooted itself 3 times in the last week. Granted, it's still much faster than my Storm, but not as stable or as fast as it was when I got it (all of 2 weeks ago).

When it's running slow, I check it with TasKiller, but don't see anything unusual, and there's always plenty of memory (50+mb) available. I kill a couple unnecessary tasks, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

My normally running Apps:
Beautiful Widgets
Handcent Messaging
K-9 Email
Ringo Lite
stock browser (seems to be open a lot. I randomly surf for a few minutes here and there throughout the day)
The Weather Channel Widget
Gallery Widget
Power Widget

I also see the following services running:
Locale
Bluetooth (not always on, but is now)
Android Keyboard
RingoLite
Notification service

One other thing. I have a folder on one of the home screens that has several contact shortcuts in it. Twice in the last few days, the folder wouldn't open at all. I could open the games folder next to it, but not that particular companies contact shortcuts folder. The only way to fix it that I've found is to reboot the droid.

I can't figure out what the problem is.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I had the same thing , unitl i uninstalled superuser and unrooted ,then BAM ,back to full speed

ali.fazal

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I noticed this as well, AND have had my phone for as long as you (2 weeks).

From what I've heard, the phone does tend to slow quite a bit with many active widgets running. I'm running most of the same apps as you (except replace K-9 with stock GMail for me), and am considering doing a reset and having the home screen clean with no widgets.

Also, as your SMS and Email inboxes fill up, it slows phones down as well.

The phone is not yet slow enough for me to try the reset yet, but I might have too soon. The snappiness was really one of my favorite aspects of the device.

cmorty72#AC

The bending unit
Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I noticed this as well, AND have had my phone for as long as you (2 weeks).

From what I've heard, the phone does tend to slow quite a bit with many active widgets running. I'm running most of the same apps as you (except replace K-9 with stock GMail for me), and am considering doing a reset and having the home screen clean with no widgets.

Also, as your SMS and Email inboxes fill up, it slows phones down as well.

The phone is not yet slow enough for me to try the reset yet, but I might have too soon. The snappiness was really one of my favorite aspects of the device.

Would be nice if someone came up with an app that would clean out our mail. I'm sure that's one of the main reasons for the freezing and lagging that's going on.

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
"Would be nice if someone came up with an app that would clean out our mail. I'm sure that's one of the main reasons for the freezing and lagging that's going on."

YEAH,

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
i used to use locale and i found it to be a culprit in stealing resources (battery and cpu) so I stopped using it. fwiw, the su binary and superuser.apk would have zero effect on performance, they do absolutely nothing for the most part.

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
i used to use locale and i found it to be a culprit in stealing resources (battery and cpu) so I stopped using it. fwiw, the su binary and superuser.apk would have zero effect on performance, they do absolutely nothing for the most part.

Between local and your widgets.. I would start by getting rid of local and the weather widget..You already get weather via beautiful widget...you can also go in to manage applications, click the filter button and clear the cache on everything...

that1bb

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I used to use task managers like task killer, but found the phone runs better without my interference. Now, I just don't worry about it and its all better. Funny how that worked. I also restart my phone about once a day. Coming from a blackberry I love how that is not a painful procedure.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
you can also go in to manage applications, click the filter button and clear the cache on everything...

I've seen this mentioned a few times on the forums, but I have never yet seen anything that looks like a means to clear the cache. From the Home screen I tap the Menu button, choose Settings, tap Applications, and Manage Applications, and then I see nothing that refers to the cache of any application, let alone a place to clear it for all. Am I missing it? Thanks!

Dec 6, 2009
www.twitter.com
...I have never yet seen anything that looks like a means to clear the cache. From the Home screen I tap the Menu button, choose Settings, tap Applications, and Manage Applications, and then I see nothing that refers to the cache of any application, let alone a place to clear it for all. Am I missing it? Thanks!

Maybe there's an easier way, but as far as I know, the only way is to actually select the application. Then you can click the "Clear Cache" button. If it's greyed out then I guess there's nothing to clear?

BoNg420

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I have been using the 2.1 launcher and it causes my phone to freeze sometimes and sometimes reboot even after a freeze.

I believe someone said the 2.1 launcher doesn't clear cache properly??

dlongb13

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
2.1 launcher was like a tub of molasses on my phone, i deleted that and went back to stock home and my phone speed went back to awesomeness, but my battery and internet are't quite up to par.