Vibrate for text messages???

Mr. Z

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
hey guys i have been using vibrate as my text ringer since my first cell 6 years ago. when im sending alot of messages the repeating ringer noise annoys everyone around me, and if i have it vibrate i can answer important txts in class.

so does anyone know of an app or trick to set vibrate for notifications? or am i just being stupid and didnt see the setting....

oh and i would really prefer if there was a way to set vibrate to ONLY the messaging app

Ret.Lt-SA

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Go into messaging then hit the menu button. Choose Settings and make sure Vibrate is checked. You can also shut off the ringtone in that setting as well

jdwx

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Somehow, I'm getting TWO different/separate ringtones at the same time when I get a text on top of the vibrate, gotta look through that one, haha...

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Once you've set the notification to vibrate, then vibration is enabled as an event that occurs before any audible tone. However, a quick shortcut is to enable vibrate then use the volume up / down button. Press all the way down = silent (nothing but LED light) one tap volume up one tap = vibrate only. Another tap up and it'll vibrate then play audible tone quietly. Increase volume up, of course, by just pressing volume bar up. This works across the board for any event that has vibrate enabled.

I think it's a LOT easier than going into the app / menu / vibrate / off. Don't overthink it. Just use the volume up and down button.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Somehow, I'm getting TWO different/separate ringtones at the same time when I get a text on top of the vibrate, gotta look through that one, haha...

Are you using an app for messaging (handcent) or an app for any other notifications - such as "missed call"? If so, disable (turn off) the system (basic, standard) notification and allow the app to do its job. Otherwise, you'll get duplicate notifications.