woodstok69

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had many issues with Google Maps either taking forever to find my location and/or saying my location is in another state. I get this with GPS turned on and wireless determine location turned off. I used to leave wireless determine my location on, but that would often cause my location to be about a mile away. Anyway, is there a fix for this or preferred method? Not sure if this hardware or software issue. Or (when wireless determine location is on) if this is a Verizon issue? All I know if being a previous iPhone user, the GPS was rock solid and always new my location. Anyway, thoughts?

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I'll start out with the obligatory "are you outdoors with an unobstructed view of the sky when this happens?"

With that out of the way, I believe Android uses wireless network information to roughly determine your location, and follows up with more accurate information from GPS when available. It shouldn't take more than a minute to obtain GPS information and accurately locate you if the answer to the obligatory question is "yes".

With GPS turned off, Maps will typically locate me about 1-3 miles from where I actually am when I'm home - well outside the blue circle. Sometimes (rarely) it shows me within 500-1000 feet of my actual location, but still outside the (now much smaller) circle.

I recommend leaving both wireless location and GPS on, and start navigating with Google Maps (destination doesn't matter). It won't actually provide navigation instructions until it has located you using GPS. Give it up to 5 minutes and see how long it takes. It should say "Searching for GPS" until it actually locates you.

fyrman49

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I know the Google Nav is still in beta. I just switched into my Droid last week and tested out the Nav going to work. I selected it from the Car Home App and chose from my location and to my place of employment (address obtained from my contact list). Worked great! I was excited. Coming from the BB Storm with VZ Nav, and not paying the $9.99/mo. fee. However, when I selected from my location and to home... It couldn't come up with a route. It kept asking Do You Mean... and gave addresses all in Chicago. I live 50 miles southwest of Chicago and work kind of in between. It is frustrating. I do have my setting on both using wireless network and using GPS satellites.
Hopefully the next OS upgrade will iron that out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos