Any way to delete GMail acct Droid was set up with?

aLackey9

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I didn't have GMail acct when got Droid, and was in rush when the guy in Verizon set it up for me. After taking a look around the mail box, I've decided to bite the bullet and make the switch.

I created acct w user name I like much better yesterday. I got it set up on phone, and everything is as should be.

But...when I went to delete the original one set up when I first got my phone, I can't without resetting phone back to factory default. That's not cool...

I've already tried changing the acct I'm signed in with on the Google home page. Still..no delete.

Any ideas?

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same situation. I had an old gmail account linked to an old job that I hadn't used in years. When I set up in the Verizon store I was unaware how "married" to that email I'd be.

The Verizon store people should really explain that better. Or, let me set it up at home. What exactly did they so for me that I couldn't have done myself?

Anyhow, I create a new Gmail account and after researching thru several forum boards realized I HAD to do a facotory reset. No way around it.

Your market account is linked to the primary gmail - so, you'll have to re-download all of your apps. If you paid for any - sorry they'll be gone. You can transfer contacts via gmail relatively easily. User defined words in dictionary - gone.

Its kind of a pain in the neck. I had only spent around $4 in market under my old gmail. So, $4 and about 2 hours of programming and downloading and now I have a gmail account without a stupid user name.

You'll also have to re-load all of your Google talk and latitude contacts and tell them your new user name and have them delete your old contact info.

compwrench

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I got mine online and fed-exed. Luckily I used my real name gmail I have had since gmail started, not my alias one I use for signing up to, well, websites like this. I pop my gmail in Outlook and decided long ago to use gmail because every time I changed ISP's, my email would change and some paid for programs such as Real player that have email as usernames, cant be changed so I still have to use an ISP email I had 15 years ago that are now long gone.

land of the trill

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there was a way to do it but try settings > applications > manage application and clear data from google apps then restart your phone or start using gmail or contacts to see if you get the sign in option.

nighthawk700

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this is a direct relation to the original question or not...

I have a Gmail account, and an associated Google Voice number with it. But I get some junk to that account, so was planning on setting up a new Gmail account. But I still want to use the old GV number for a few months. This summer I'm moving to a new state, so was going to get a new GV number in that new state, and keep the old one with my older account. Is the ability to use Google Voice tied in with the main GMail account discussed above, or will my idea work? I don't have a Droid yet, but my Centro is starting its death spiral (crashing more often, battery not holding a charge) so it's time to start thinking ahead.

Thanks.

TTUGoldFOX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
You DON'T HAVE TO DO a factory reset

1) Load up Gmail on your phone by clicking the Gmail icon.
2) Click the Menu button and select Accounts
3) You will see a list of your Gmail accounts, click the Menu button again, there is only one option, Account Settings.
4) Scroll down to Manage Accounts
5) Click on the Account you wish to delete.
6) Click Remove Account

Google searches work wonders, fellas. (And ladies)

paul_aka_paul

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
You DON'T HAVE TO DO a factory reset

1) Load up Gmail on your phone by clicking the Gmail icon.
2) Click the Menu button and select Accounts
3) You will see a list of your Gmail accounts, click the Menu button again, there is only one option, Account Settings.
4) Scroll down to Manage Accounts
5) Click on the Account you wish to delete.
6) Click Remove Account

Google searches work wonders, fellas. (And ladies)

That works for secondary accounts, but not the primary account used when the phone is first set up. That is that issue the OP is having. The primary account can only be removed with a factory reset.

JoonBg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Download and install NoBloat Free. Open and select system apps. Click each Google app individually and select disable from pop-up menu. Once all are disabled, return to account management in phone settings, and sign out of account you wish to delete. You can now go back into NoBloat and enable chosen Google services.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007