Is the Motorola Droid a good phone?

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to get an Android (Motorola) phone to use until I upgrade to the Bionic in April.

Is the Motorola Droid a good representation of Android? Or would I be disappointed?

I'd get a Droid X but they are going to $200+. I'm finding a lot of VZW Motorola Droids on eBay for $70-$150. That's more in my price range.

Thanks for any advice!

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes its a good phone. Keyboard is okay on that phone. But if your waiting until the bionic then that phone is good enough until the bionic comes out.

DrDiff

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Where are you looking? I have an Original Droid rooted (lithium mod) the screen is cracked from the top right corner to the speaker hole 1/4 screen is dead. evil Bay has DX averaging $335+. Verizon wants $298 for a refurbished Orig Droid. New every 2 is dead and my contract isn't up untill October. I understand your pain..

DEATH before iPhone!

DrDiff

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Forgot to mention. The original Droid is Verizon's only pure android phone. Every other Verizon android phone is blurred, sensed, otherwise poluted by the manufactrer and Verizon.

Free range android rules. Its your phone not verizons!

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking on eBay. An original Moto Droid just went for $117.

The Droid X's range depending on condition. Saw one for $220.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Droid is a great phone, stock android, solid hardware and its completely hackable. Its a great device after you root and install cyanogen.

This would be a great phone for you to get acquainted with android and hopefully you decide to root it too, it opens up a whole new world and breathes new life into your device.

Get it :p

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Johnly! I definitely won't. It's a pretty old phone. And I'll only be using it a few months. If I can't find one for $75-110, I'll just wait for the Bionic! :)

jebulls

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Mine will be here tomorrow so I hope it's good enough till the bionic comes out lol. I ended up paying 150 on ebay but it was from an ebay store that sells many phones. Thought maybe the phone would be in better shape that way! I will throw my thoughts ur way after getting switched over tomorrow night! I can't wait to get rid of the BB!!!

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Don't think you can go wrong with the Droid for a temp phone. I have the DX and have thought about getting a Droid for a backup phone. It will give you a great showing of android! Go for it! :cool:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I think if you spend some time looking, you could grab one off craigs or ebay for 99 I hope! The bionic is going to be hot!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Might be old but an upgrade from the bb.

yep, but that A8 chip runs at a Ghz, and runs the latest OS and flash, so saying it is old is only half the story ha ha!! It is, and continues to get premium support at XDA and beyond. I agree, I had a storm, junk it was.

jebulls

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
yep, but that A8 chip runs at a Ghz, and runs the latest OS and flash, so saying it is old is only half the story ha ha!! It is, and continues to get premium support at XDA and beyond. I agree, I had a storm, junk it was.

Thats crazy to me how this phone can still run latest os! Far cry from BB no doubt!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thats crazy to me how this phone can still run latest os! Far cry from BB no doubt!

My thoughts too, though now that I think of it, I think the chip is a arm A7. Still a **** of a phone, fast as anything out single core wise with good modding.