02-14-2011 01:53 PM
55 123
tools
    Are they replacing it with OG Droid or Droid 2?
    01-25-2011 09:44 PM
    I can't wait for the Droid Bionic. I love my OG droid, but it is starting to show it's age. On a side note, I wonder how long it'll be until we have 3/4 cameras on phones. one/two front, two back, so that you can record in 3D!
    01-25-2011 10:05 PM
    yes im on my 3rd og droid cuz the kb letters keep poppin off i guess i text way to much lol. and agin i seem out of place cuz vanilla is a dying breed. ces didnt have one vanilla android not 1. thats sad becuz some of us love android just how it is. my contract is up in 6 months and there isnt one android that got my attn well nexus s is sweet but dont like sammy hardware and no kb and external storage and no notification led are deal breakers. the attrix has no kb and runs slur(blur)lol on att.PASS! vrz getting the icrap and on 3g so im certain thats gonna be a bumpy ride so movin to 4g makes since but the bionic again not vanilla,runs slur and no physical kb. the G2 has the best chance but once again no ffc and even tho next gen snapdragon still underclocked is not ryt. i guess i dont wanna sign up for 2 yrs and not get all the specs i want so after this long reply im stuck too lol. i just dont want a skin on my android or as george clinton would say "dont step on my funk" i want pure uncut android
    01-25-2011 10:06 PM
    Well the rumor of the next nexus being Moto sounds great and i think if there is more about it buy the end of this year i might just go to where ever it is and get that cause I love moto i tried many different brands but Moto i think makes really durable phones which is what i need cause i drop my phone and do many stupid things with it by accident. Any way if the next NEXUS is MOTO im going to who ever carries it.
    even if the next nexus is by moto, it seems more likely that it'll still be GSM and not CDMA. but with the LTE being the big talk, who knows.
    01-25-2011 10:21 PM
    Just buy it with a one year contract, those are still going to be around.
    i'm on a family plan, i havent looked into it yet, but that might make a difference. i've already thought about switching to a one year contract though.
    01-25-2011 10:24 PM
    I still have my OG Droid and it's still going strong. Owning the Droid has really forced me to think about the next device I want to get. I kind of jumped into getting a Droid and now there's so many phones that are way faster with better screens and such. I don't know if I'll feel the same way after I upgrade.
    01-25-2011 11:56 PM
    If you like the OG Droid, you'll probably like the Droid 2G. Faster proc, better keyboard, nice battery life. Only downside is the limited version of blur, which isn't horrible, but I definitely would prefer stock ROM. Which, btw, is exactly why I rooted and flashed a new ROM. If you don't want blur/sense, or rooting/flashing another ROM, your choices are very limited.

Honestly, I suggest everyone boycott Moto for using blur. We all need to let them know that we like vanilla. Also, I've recently boycotted Verizon smartphones because they don't allow you to go without a data plan. Sure, most people like em, and will likely enjoy 4G. In my case, it will be 2013 before I get 4G (and I refuse to be added into a new payment bracket just for using an LTE phone), and I already get wifi virtually ever where I go. So, it's back to GSM, off-contract, and preferably unlocked smartphones only, from here on out. Until my contract with big red runs out, I've bought a cheap pre-owned feature phone to keep costs down on my account (and avoid the ETF). Score!
    01-26-2011 01:28 AM
    ive only had my OG droid for... a few weeks? lol.. late to the android game.

If i had to pick (which thankfully i dont right now).. i'd go with either the D2 global (friends got it.. pretty sweet).. of the Droid X.. just for the big honkin screen its got..

to the OP.. so your headphones jack is going out.. buy yourself a nice bluetooth headset, and forget about it till something comes out you like

cheers
    01-26-2011 03:28 AM
    my biggest issue is that the moto phones are anti dev. I would buy a XOOM opening day if I new I could do with it as I pleased.
    I LOVE my DX, the build quality and hardware is great and the phone is largely everything i would want. but I wish I could still alter it more.

Unless moto changes their locked bootloader policy I refuse to buy another moto product.
    I'll probably pick up a HTC or LG offering in the future.

The sad part is that I'd even pay extra to have a dev phone if that's what it took to get moto hardware/build quality that allowed me to do what I wanted.
    01-26-2011 03:40 AM
    I went Eris, OG Droid, Incredible. Getting away from the Droid was the best decision I ever made. My wife uses it now. Still a great phone especially once you root it and get an AOSP rom on it. Currently her Droid and my Inc are both running nightlies of the CM7 rom and they are better than they ever have been.

My Inc has never been 'buggy' or 'glitchy' with the exception of low battery life. Easily solved with a 1750 battery 10+ hours which is enough to get me through the day. The X, EVO are too big, not to mention the screens aren't that great. Droids are not my main thing now as I hate keyboards on a touch screen phone! Samsung forget about it, updates much? LG....generic....motorola, locking down the modding abilities, no thank you. HTC all the way!

With all that being said I wouldn't buy an Inc now as it's going to be looking dated here in short order if not already to some. I would wait for a new dual core phone with LTE to come out before swapping. With the awesome dev. community behind us(or in front of us depending on how you look at it) the UI on your phone doesn't matter. A simple root and replacement is merely a few minutes away, especially with Cyanogen Mod out there.

Just food for thought.
    01-26-2011 03:46 AM
    All you complaining about locked boot loaders give it up. The same uproar happened over the X and if I'm not mistaken the dev community had that beat in less than a month. Those of you using it as your anti-moto crutch are making mountains out of mole hills. If you're going to give advice to someone let it be educated unbiased advice.
    01-26-2011 03:55 AM
    I also picked up the Droid when it first came out, but I bit the bullet and dropped the $200 for the Droid X and I love it.

There wasn't really anything wrong with my original Droid I had to start wearing glasses to read and found it was getting hard to read the screen with out them.

The X is fast and so far not complaints and when you sit them side by side the screen appears to be much better.

Battery life is not the greatest but with a little power management it is comparable to my OG Droid.

I still have my Droid and as long as you have WiFi most everything still works without having service. I even still use it sometimes with Skype to make calls.
    01-26-2011 06:51 AM
    Let me share with you, my experience. I came to Verizon for the Droid X. At first I thought I would not care about the locked bootloader. Boy was I wrong. 6 months with the Droid X and I hopped on Ebay and found a Like-New Droid for the sole purpose of loading Cyanogen.

I fell in love. All the ROMs available, and the custom kernels. I'm running my Droid at 1.2 GHz and getting better battery life than stock. On most days I prefer my Droid to my Droid X.

I can't blame Motorola on the quality front. They are truly top notch. But their lockdown is more than frustrating. And after their recent PR botch-job, I'm not going to be getting another Moto device for some time.

My next device will probably be the Thunderbolt or HTC's upcoming LTE/Dual-Core. I haven't decided if I'm going to wait or not for HTC to come out with a dual-core set. Their quality is every bit as good as Motorola's, Sense is infintely better than Blur and they don't lock it down the same way. We haven't seen Cyanogen on anything Motorola since the Droid, and unless they pick up some determined developers, you probably won't see it in the future.
    01-26-2011 07:20 AM
    I can upgrade in July but haven't really seen anything worth it yet. I have zero interest in Touchwhiz and Blur, plus Samsung's FU no-upgrade policy is a slap-in-the-face deal killer anyway. I really like the stock Android experience and Sense isn't bad, but HTC's lineup is currently antiquated.

There probably won't be LTE here until 2013, so there's no reason to pay Verizon an LTE tax in the meantime.

To sum up, I'd go for a VZW Nexus M in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I may go month-to-month until my Droid dies.
    01-26-2011 09:50 AM
    I'm in a slightly different situation. I paid my AT&T cancellation fee back in July and, since I always loved the droid, bought it with a new family contract on Verizon. In other words, I bought it towards the end of its life span (last summer). Idk what my upgrade options will be before the two years, but its likely ill have to stick with the Droid for a long time. No complaints though. I'm running BB v0.6.1.2 and I couldn't be happier.
    01-26-2011 10:22 AM
    Absolutely love my og droid. I'm still using the original device after a year and a half of modding and dropping. And although I haven't had problems with Verizon, after researching their LTE network and AT&T's, Motorola Atrix for AT&T is where I'm heading. AT&T will have their HSPA+ network (T-Mobile's style of 4G) to fall back on when outside LTE. So it won't feel like going from lightspeed to dialup! Plus the 1gb of RAM in the Atrix trumps the Bionic, and I would prefer the .6 ounce weight loss that accompanies the 4" screen rather than 4.3". 540x960 on both so the 4" should look better too.
    01-26-2011 12:43 PM
    Install the UltimateDroid ROM on it.. you wont want to give it up after..it breathes new life into the device.
    01-26-2011 04:27 PM
    I currently own a Droid 2 and i honestly wish i had an OG Droid. I see all these posts relating to and how it's vanilla android, and since then, none of the phones that are on vzw are vanilla anymore. i'm already looking to get a new phone (i like to use the 1 yr upgrades, sad they're going away) but, none of the phones shown to be coming out interest me. i don't care about LTE because my 3G works fine and i'm not looking to pay extra, and blur and all the crapware on my Droid 2 ate up battery like no ones business. Since then i've rooted and am not using a stock rom, but i'd rather not have to go through all that again.

Basically, i'm saying if you're looking for a similar (stock) experience in a future phone, you most likely will not get it with vzw. you will be stuck with the mostly crappy UIs (blur, Touchwiz) and all the bloatware you phone can handle. but hey, let's hope one of those rumors about the next gen Droid/X/Incredible come true where one of them is vanilla.

I had a droid 2 and you get the same crappy UI on every carrier. I work for ATT now and have a Captivate which has the crappy Touchwiz and our Moto Bravo, Flipside, Flipout, Backflip are all running moto blur. The easiest way to get rid of it is root and find a rom that you like without it or to get rid of the UI being in the forefront get a Launcher such as LauncerPro or Gingerbread Launcers out of the market.
    01-27-2011 10:04 AM
    I had a droid 2 and you get the same crappy UI on every carrier. I work for ATT now and have a Captivate which has the crappy Touchwiz and our Moto Bravo, Flipside, Flipout, Backflip are all running moto blur. The easiest way to get rid of it is root and find a rom that you like without it or to get rid of the UI being in the forefront get a Launcher such as LauncerPro or Gingerbread Launcers out of the market.
    i am rooted with launcher pro. i still don't like the fact that the root doesn't get rid of all the blur parts. there are still background processes running that i'm sure don't need to be. plus, its a fairly laggy phone at times, it stops loading data sometimes when not on wifi, and it likes to reset itself sometimes which is rather annoying. it was doing all this before i even rooted it.
    02-01-2011 11:19 AM
    i am rooted with launcher pro. i still don't like the fact that the root doesn't get rid of all the blur parts. there are still background processes running that i'm sure don't need to be. plus, its a fairly laggy phone at times, it stops loading data sometimes when not on wifi, and it likes to reset itself sometimes which is rather annoying. it was doing all this before i even rooted it.
    The best you can really do unfortunately is remove the widgets for those processes from your old launcher before you install launcher pro and then clear the account data for motoblur.touchwiz components (ie Social) That will minimize the impact the system but the only way to completely remove is it so actually completely remove it bu using a custom rom.

I personally have found that the proprietary UI's have grown on me (even Motoblur which I hated on my Devour on 1.6) but ues I too wish I could disable things like the native messaging programs since I use Handcent and therefor have no need for the native one or the moto version of messaging.

*sigh*
    02-01-2011 12:03 PM
    Was my first droid phone awesome
    02-08-2011 12:19 PM
    So I got my OG Droid back from Best Buy repair about 3 weeks ago and all was going good, I was even running stock unrooted and loving it! But unfortunately the headphone jack is doing it again, pretty bad again, and I was going to wait till the 14th to try to get the Thunderbolt as a replacement but since its being pushed back i'll probably just get the incredible again.

The more I look at the Thunderbolt the more I like it, but still really unsure what to commit to. I'm not going to use up my upgrade until I hear reviews anyway. The idea that the dual core Bionic seems laggy was surprising to me too.
    02-09-2011 08:56 AM
    Damn headphone jacks.
    02-09-2011 09:11 AM
    still a new-ish droid user here (i got it shortly before the droid x came out), though i haven't been brave enough to flash a custom rom yet I don't plan on leaving my og droid anytime soon..perhaps later i will try custom roms
    02-11-2011 07:52 AM
    how many people will actually be able to even use a 4g phone? i see all this "wait for a 4g phone" but from what i've read, unless you live in a huge city, it won't be avail for a while.
    02-11-2011 09:08 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD