Life after OG Droid??

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
So I know some of you members are like me and STILL have the OG Droid. I still have the one I got the day it was released and I STILL love the phone. The audio jack recently went bad though but because I got the phone at best buy and have their warrente it was sent out to be repaired and I was given an incredible as a loaner phone. The Incredible was a beautiful phone but the battery life was bad and the Sense UI had some glitches/quirks.

I have my phone back now for a week and the audio jack is starting to crap out again (no its not the headphones) and I am beginning to get scared that my Droid isnt going to last forever. Even if my Droid dies Best Buy will give me $600 credit for a new phone and I should be excited (If I still had my BB storm I would go skiing with it taped to my helmet) BUT I am not. I dont see a phone on the market that is as good as my droid or worth upgrading to. Is their one out their on Verizon??

Incredible is glitchy with bad battery life, I dont feel I should pay $200 for the DX when the Samsung Facinate is $99. But I dont think I will like the touchwiz on the Samsung.

Cliff Notes: What phones will you guys get after your time with the OG Droid is up? and wil you feel you upgraded or just had to move on??

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I'd say wait for the new LTE phones. I love my OG Droid, and will continue to love it long after it's gone. Having said that I'd break it in a heartbeat if I had a golden ticket like you do for some free(more or less) LTE goodness.

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I'd say wait for the new LTE phones. I love my OG Droid, and will continue to love it long after it's gone. Having said that I'd break it in a heartbeat if I had a golden ticket like you do for some free(more or less) LTE goodness.

Yeah, the LTE has definitely peaked my interest and it seems the T-Bolt will be the first on Verizon (right?). But I am not convinced that this phone will have better battery life then its predecessors and consistently last me a day. The Bionic sounds great but its more a ways off. I am afraid my Droid may not last till then. Plus I dont know how I feel about 4.3 inch screens. I am young so my eyes are fine with 3.7 LOL.

cmorty72#AC

The bending unit
Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I was one of the first people to get and OG Droid in the Las Vegas, NV.... and that Droid is still going strong to this very day (especially with some P.E.v4.2 goodness).

As far as a replacement goes... just like everyone else. I'm looking for something LTE, dual core, two cameras (one forward). A sliding hard keyboard would be great but not really necessary.

Although the Thunder, Bionic, and the new Samsung offerings kind of fit the bill... I do believe I'll hold out until 2nd quarter to get an idea as to what's coming around.

Although... with Verizon killing-off the NE2 deal, I may also look elsewhere. But being I've been with Verizon since the Bell Atlantic days...

I guess time will tell.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, in our case, that 2 year contract might work out perfectly since we're not yet to LTE's...which will be game changers in every way. All I know so far is that Samsung folks are real unhappy due to late updates for Froyo. So...HTC? Moto? Still too early to say. So I'm not really even paying attention yet. It's all gonna change.

Szientific

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have almost another full year to finish my contract, but I think i'm going to buy a used DX or D2 to tide me over till i'm a free agent again. (there should be some good used phones available as some [dumb] folks switch to an iphone) I like the Fascinate, but Bing is an instant deal breaker for me. I'm in no hurry for 4G. I know they're going to charge an arm and a leg for the service that probably wont be in my area for another year anyway.

zandog

Sep 21, 2010
zandog.deviantart.com
Second Life?

For those of you who have insurance under Asurion. If something is wrong with your OG Droid (oops, it took a dive ;), they will still send you a certified pre-owned or NEW Droid for $50. I had a mishap, broke mine and the deductible made it worth the replacement order from Asurion. The replacement phone I received, just today infact, was still in the original Motorola sealed packaging and I honesty think that I may have gotten a new phone.

PhoneClaim.com - Verizon Wireless phones replaced fast! File a claim for your lost, broken, stolen, or damaged phone

I agree that at this transition point to the new generation of new devices, it's not worth going with the current lineup of devices. Wait until the LTE phones are released and if you can, wait for the Tegra 2 (dual/quad) core processor phones hit the market toward the end of the year.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
On a slight side note, I read that you got your phone on Verizon through Best Buy, but where kinda of benefits package did you get? They repaired the headphone jack for free over a year after you got the phone and they will pay you $600 if it breaks? how did you sign up for that??

colin.mckean

May 15, 2010
Visit site
It's their black tie protection. Ten bucks a month covers everything but theft. If something happens to the phone, you give it to them, get a loaner, and if they can't fix it after 30 days, they replace it. If they don't have the replacement phone anymore, they give the amount that the phone was worth originally (in this case, $600 bucks).

ithinkimjoe

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I currently own a Droid 2 and i honestly wish i had an OG Droid. I see all these posts relating to and how it's vanilla android, and since then, none of the phones that are on vzw are vanilla anymore. i'm already looking to get a new phone (i like to use the 1 yr upgrades, sad they're going away) but, none of the phones shown to be coming out interest me. i don't care about LTE because my 3G works fine and i'm not looking to pay extra, and blur and all the crapware on my Droid 2 ate up battery like no ones business. Since then i've rooted and am not using a stock rom, but i'd rather not have to go through all that again.

Basically, i'm saying if you're looking for a similar (stock) experience in a future phone, you most likely will not get it with vzw. you will be stuck with the mostly crappy UIs (blur, Touchwiz) and all the bloatware you phone can handle. but hey, let's hope one of those rumors about the next gen Droid/X/Incredible come true where one of them is vanilla.

CrackMonkey91

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Well the rumor of the next nexus being Moto sounds great and i think if there is more about it buy the end of this year i might just go to where ever it is and get that cause I love moto i tried many different brands but Moto i think makes really durable phones which is what i need cause i drop my phone and do many stupid things with it by accident. Any way if the next NEXUS is MOTO im going to who ever carries it.

djones680

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a similar quandry. My wife and I have OG Droids and want to upgrade to 4G LTE phones but the ones about to come out don't impress me. The Thunderbolt is basically an Incredible with a front camera. Same 1Ghz processor and everything else. The Bionic has impressive specs but will most likely have a locked bootloader so that's a no-go plus people who got hands-on time with it at CES said it was sluggish and laggy. That's disappointing considering it has a dual core processor. The LG is also single core processor. Then there's the whole Samsung doesn't believe in updating their phones OS once they sell a particular model issue. I'm hoping there will be a second wave of LTE phones this summer or early fall that will be my next phone after the Droid.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I was interested in upgrading my OG Droid at the 1 year mark, but found nothing overly compelling. Since I have no plans to stray from Motorola, my upgrade path would have been either the Droid 2, or Droid X, or wait a little while for the Droid 2 Global.

The Droid X seemed too big - awkward to hold/use as a phone, and too bulky for a belt holster. The Droid 2/Global seems like not enough of an upgrade to me. So right now I'm sticking with my OG Droid, rooted and running at 800MHz.

Maybe the Droid 3 (if there ever is such a thing) will be the ticket.

hoosiercub

May 6, 2010
www.facebook.com
I'm in a similar quandry. My wife and I have OG Droids and want to upgrade to 4G LTE phones but the ones about to come out don't impress me. The Thunderbolt is basically an Incredible with a front camera. Same 1Ghz processor and everything else. The Bionic has impressive specs but will most likely have a locked bootloader so that's a no-go plus people who got hands-on time with it at CES said it was sluggish and laggy. That's disappointing considering it has a dual core processor. The LG is also single core processor. Then there's the whole Samsung doesn't believe in updating their phones OS once they sell a particular model issue. I'm hoping there will be a second wave of LTE phones this summer or early fall that will be my next phone after the Droid.

I'd wait for MWC should be some other stuff showing up there.. as for the thunderbolt being and incredible.. hardly. That 1Ghz snapdragon is a second generation with better power consumption and it handles 3D graphics better. Overclocked technically, because the original secondGen was only and 800 MHz. It will also have the FFC, more ram, bigger screen and capable of damn fast LTE data connections. So its not really just a mildly improved incredible. I love my incredible, and the thought of dual core processors doesn't appease me, unless it provides groundbreaking battery life, which wont make any difference til all these phones are on 2.3 anyways. I'm not a heavy mobile gamer, if my device can do tower defense and things of that nature ill be happy. I save the heavier gaming for my tablet/PC/console. I need raw processing power that every portion of my OS can use. That being said, if the HTC Merge gets reincarnated on Verizon not alltel with a dual-core qualcomm LTE Chooser, so be t. Unless the Droid Bionic comes with vanilla android and no locked bootloader, unfortunately the days of what made the original motor Droid awesome are over for time being.

Icculus760

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
i want a phone that doesn't exist yet

LTE, dual-cameras, all those other nice specs, but here's the kicker:

it MUST be another DEVELOPER FRIENDLY phone. The reason my OG Droid is still kicking arse is because of the dev's -- ASOP ROMs, themes, running newer versions of Android before the carrier pushes them to the masses...I honestly couldn't see myself enjoying a phone for as long as I have if not that reason.

PS - i am not a developer. haven't done anything like that & don't know how...which makes me even more reliable on the community! :-!

Last edited:

ishore99

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Understanding your love for the Droid, why not check out the Droid 2 Global. I have it since it came out and love it. I have had some small issues, but all is ok now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt