droid goodies....

droidweasel

Nov 14, 2009
www.minnesotavikings.com
hey all, just got a dock for my droid,and a new hard case. i kinda like em. what are your goodies,favorite cases,all in all... whatcha got? by the way,post ur favorite apps,what u are using daily. soooooooooo? whatcha got?

mjones73

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I like the home multimedia dock, it just gives a clean easy place to drop the phone to charge it. I don't so much use it for an alarm clock or anything. The car dock is quite useful to keep the phone up in line of site when using Maps and/or the various music apps I have. I also routed a longer USB cable so it drops down behind the rear view mirror to where I have the dock right below it.

I added a Motorola T605 hands free kit for bluetooth hands free and music transfer, I've been having some issues with the music sound quality though.

I haven't got a case yet because you can't use them with the docks.

mjones73

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
It shouldn't hurt the battery, my understanding is the Droid has a built in regulator to charge the battery.

The car dock suction cups to the windshield or it comes with a plastic disc you can glue somewhere on the dash and then suction cup to it. It does not come with a charger if you get it from Verizon, the Motorola branded one available elsewhere cost $10 more but it comes with a car charger.

mot_droid_vehicle_mount.png

I used a monoprice cable and cigarette light to USB adapter to power mine, the parts were like $3. I'll take a pic of mine and post it when I have time.

Tennessee

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I use a beanbag mount to hold my Car Cradle. Makes it easier to move from car to car. And it stays put better than the suction cup to the glass.

mjones73

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I've never really had a problem with it moving. The beanbag mount is a great idea though, how does the moto dock attach to it?

compwrench

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Car Dock

It shouldn't hurt the battery, my understanding is the Droid has a built in regulator to charge the battery.

The car dock suction cups to the windshield or it comes with a plastic disc you can glue somewhere on the dash and then suction cup to it. It does not come with a charger if you get it from Verizon, the Motorola branded one available elsewhere cost $10 more but it comes with a car charger.

I used a monoprice cable and cigarette light to USB adapter to power mine, the parts were like $3. I'll take a pic of mine and post it when I have time.

I cant find a place on my dash that I would consider flat enough to put that sticky disk so I just put it in the windshield. I use my home charger in the inverter I have wired straight to the battery for my laptop, don't need Streets and Trips anymore. I plug it into the radio through the earphone plug, dumped XM, didnt like them anymore since the merge because they got rid of X-Country. Lots of music choices on the Droid.

mjones73

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I cant find a place on my dash that I would consider flat enough to put that sticky disk so I just put it in the windshield. I use my home charger in the inverter I have wired straight to the battery for my laptop, don't need Streets and Trips anymore. I plug it into the radio through the earphone plug, dumped XM, didnt like them anymore since the merge because they got rid of X-Country. Lots of music choices on the Droid.

Nice, I dumped Sirius last year and was using a Slacker G2 plugged into my head unit Aux in mostly for music. I have the T605 plugged in the Aux now and have it linked to my Droid.

mjones73

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
how does that attach?

Those style mounts are usually two piece. They give you a custom plate that works with your car that is designed to bolt somewhere on your vehicle under a trim piece and have the tab stick out like you can see in the second picture on that post then the holder mounts to it. I haven't used one personally but they look very secure.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I use Bluetooth in the car for phone. I just refuse to text or even check while driving and have not yet had need for GPS navigation while driving.

So, I'm boring..... naked Droid sitting on the passenger seat.

On the subject of apps: there's an application called "quick settings" free. Great app. I have nothing against beautiful Widgets. I own and use it - but everyone goes on and on and on and on about how great bw is. Aside from the home screen clock / temp - the rest of the Widgets take up a lot of home screen real estate. Quick Settings has ALL of the shortcuts you need in ONE app and one icon. Plus you get battery percentage, available memory, all sorts of goodies.

I don't hear much about this app - quick settings - but, for me, its one of the best, and it's free.

cmorty72#AC

The bending unit
Nov 3, 2009
Visit site

chrislitzkow

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Those style mounts are usually two piece. They give you a custom plate that works with your car that is designed to bolt somewhere on your vehicle under a trim piece and have the tab stick out like you can see in the second picture on that post then the holder mounts to it. I haven't used one personally but they look very secure.

You're exactly right. I had one in my BMW... You remove a piece of trip, remove the designated screw under it and then install the back plate. Replace the screw and pop the trim back on and you have a very custom mount. The thing I didn't love about mine is that I could not find a cradle portion that rotated.

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
Just got the car dock installed yesterday... I ran an AUX cable out and have the car charger,, I now can play my music, listen to the NAV chick over my car stereo.. Cant beat pandora and slacker radio broadcasting through my truck....I just wish the car mode was customizable.. I want to be able to have direct dials and saved mapping.. Oh well