Droid locking up

MedlongOne

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Here's a new one. On Saturday, I looked on my Droid to see if I had missed a call. Hit the power button and nothing. Held it down to maybe turn it on, but nothing. Did a battery pull and it took a long time to start up. Tired checking voicemail, but when I hit send, it went back to my home screen. Tried dialing a couple numbers and did the same thing. Did another battery pull and it worked fine.
Sunday morning I hit the power button to use an app and I noticed that all my apps were off the 3 home screens. I had to move them from the App menu again. The missing apps mysteriously appeared under the new ones a couple days later.
Nothing else happened until this afternoon when it locked up again.

Ideas?

R

Roy Aguilera

Here's a new one. On Saturday, I looked on my Droid to see if I had missed a call. Hit the power button and nothing. Held it down to maybe turn it on, but nothing. Did a battery pull and it took a long time to start up. Tired checking voicemail, but when I hit send, it went back to my home screen. Tried dialing a couple numbers and did the same thing. Did another battery pull and it worked fine.
Sunday morning I hit the power button to use an app and I noticed that all my apps were off the 3 home screens. I had to move them from the App menu again. The missing apps mysteriously appeared under the new ones a couple days later.

Ideas?

You using a home replacement? If so, what are you using?

Payne78

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem today. Hit the power button to check email, but the phone wouldn't wake up. After a battery pull I tried checking voice mail and it went back to home screen. Had to do another long battery pull to get it working right. Not sure what caused it. Seems to be working fine now. I have Panda home installed, but not using it.

dlongb13

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
While I was using home++ my apps were disappearing randomly. Was also being slow and rather quirky, since then went back to the stock home and that problem went away.

ikith

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
Visit site

Ideas?

Quit doing a battery pull unless your phone is completely locked up... This is NOT a blackberry... Power off actually turns the phone off. If anything you are doing more bad then good.

MedlongOne

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Quit doing a battery pull unless your phone is completely locked up... This is NOT a blackberry... Power off actually turns the phone off. If anything you are doing more bad then good.

I only did a battery pull because when I hit the power button, screen was black and non responsive. I even held it down for a long time. The only thing to do was battery pull. It was as if the device was turned off and wouldn't power back up.

and I am not using a home replacement. Forgot to mention that I'm using 2.0.1 OS and non-rooted as well.

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
My Droid locked up twice yesterday within 20 minutes. The 4 touch buttons were still lit up but the screen was black. Holding the power button did nothing. I had to pull the battery both times.

My Droid is not rooted and I don't use a Home screen app... all stock. I didn't install any new apps when it happened. The only odd thing that happened prior to both lock ups was the virtual keyboard (I use Swype) would not type letters in a text field.

So far today I've had zero issues, and I never had issues before yesterday. Hopefully it was just a hiccup and nothing serious... my Droid has had far less hiccups than any other device I've had (including the Pre).

My 4 touch buttons don't light up until I start a flashlight app or something similar... does anyone else have this issue?

droidweasel

Nov 14, 2009
www.minnesotavikings.com
this has happened once to me. it is some sort of an app issue. i could not figure out which one it was. so i uninstalled all of them,then went back in and reinstalled them. this was a few weeks ago,and i have been smooth sailing since i did that. u have to uninstall everything,fyi.

droidweasel

Nov 14, 2009
www.minnesotavikings.com

this is true, so as a last resort, 1. plug ur phone into a power supply. 2. hold the power button for 5 seconds,.3. if u still dont get power,unplug the phone,and take out battery for 30 seconds. then u should be good to go.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
On a similar note...

I'm getting a second stock battery as a back up to have charged and ready if I get down to a low charge. My question: If switching batteries, should I power off first?

Please explain to all of us Blackberry folks why battery pulls are ineffective / ill-advised.

PS: I was using panda home and had BSOD (black screen of death) issues. Uninstalled, and problems went away. I'm very hesitant to say an app should be uninstalled or declare it a "fail". I think that's irresponsible and unfair to the developer. I much prefer giving the developer a chance to correct. However, several emails to panda home were ignored. Uninstalled and issue went away. So... panda home = fail.

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
a battery pull is ONLY necessary if your phone is on and in a "stuck" state (i.e. its locked on some app, or frozen and there's no way to power it off or reboot). If you phone is not in one of these states, then simply powering off using the normal menu option to power off, then turning on, is what you want. Why? When you turn off the normal way, the OS shuts down gracefully and cleans up anything it needs to clean up. When you battery pull, it doesnt shut down gracefully and you leave it up to the unknown. You're also cutting off power to the device/hardware unexpectedly which is not good.

So, there is absolutely no difference from a battery pull and a normal power off/on except that battery pull has potential dangers. Conclusion? only battery pull if there's no other way to power/restart the device. A battery pull does not "reset" the device in any way that a power off/on would, so pulling it to "fix" something other than a frozen phone is pointless.

MedlongOne

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Just an update on my original issue...

I uninstalled Taskiller and I haven't had a problem since then.

amazing...if you don't treat the Droid like a stupid BB, then it works the way it's supposed to.

Carebare723

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I had to do a batter pull also. Mine started Sat night also with the return button not working. All were lit up but none worked. Power button would give you power off options then disappear. Still locking up a lot this am. Have started removing apps. Most recent first. Also I have 'stuck' downloads on my list. One has finished downloaded weeks ago, another 2 are for programs I removed a while ago but they are stuck there. This used to be an awesome phone. Today it is a great paper weight!:eek: