Thinking of Switching to a Droid...

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Not a problem at all man and I hope you're able to scrape up the money for the Droid. Believe me. You wont be dissapointed.

cruiz1022: I will agree I do type way fast on my Droid but the speed isn't the issue for me its the auto correct ability of the iPhone keyboard that sets it apart from the rest.

dlongb13

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I came from the storm1, then the storm2. I love my droid. Faster, better build quality, customizable, better browser, and keeps me from being bored lol. I do miss the suretype from the storm. I could fill up an sms message in seconds on a storm2, where as on the droid I'm used to it but its just not as fast for me. All in all though I'm very happy with my switch. But do know that if your into hybrids and all on the blackberry's, installing custom os's on the droid to me, is much more difficult. But if you keep things stock you have nothing to worry about.

moviemogul

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat here. I paid full price for my Storm2. I wish I hadn't.

I just ordered my Moto Droid, should be here by Wednesday.

I'm still debating on trying this for 30 days, then seeing if I may hold off for the Nexus One. It seems though, that since the Droid is getting 2.1 and Flash, it really isn't much difference from this to the N1. The major differences I've seen are the 1ghz processor (which although is fast, I suspect the Droid can handle it's processsing better.) and double the ram...

Now, I do have a few questions.

First, I'm used to the BB platform. Is it easy to root, and customize compared to the limited customization on the BB?

Also, as far as the ram goes, I had upwards of 70 apps on my BB, what should I expect for App size? I'm just concerned about maxxing out the memory.

Also, I'd like some opinions from users as to the ease of use coming from a BB. I'm sure there will be a learning curve, but I'm just looking for basics.

Thanks and I hope I can be as much of a contributor here as I am on crackberry.

BuckyMarshall

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Switch

I also had a Storm2 and I really liked it a lot especially compared to the crap I had for the storm1. I must say I switched from the Storm2 about 2 weeks ago and I don't know what the HELL took me so long to do it. There is absolutely no regret in switching. The apps that are available for the Droid is so plentiful that I don't miss much of anything about the Storm not to mention so many are free and the paid ones are not at all expensive like for the Storm2. Especially not having to pay for darn near every app that I wanted. The browser on the Droid is incredible fast. the multitasking is even better that the storm. I missed blackberry messenger a bit but for the most part all the other posibilities available for the Droid will most definitely overshadow any reason not to switch. I have about 40 apps on my Droid and its still fast and I dont have to do battery pulls or costly check to see how much memory I have available. Did I mention that you will even have an option for either a slide out keyboard or a touchscreen. Touchscreen is much better.

Good Luck with you decision but you won't regret it. I haven't.

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Oh! I have another question lol.

On my blackberry it is really easy to get ringtones because I just go to Myxer and download them through the browser, can I do the same thing with the Droid? Download things through the browser?

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same boat here. I paid full price for my Storm2. I wish I hadn't.

I just ordered my Moto Droid, should be here by Wednesday.

I'm still debating on trying this for 30 days, then seeing if I may hold off for the Nexus One. It seems though, that since the Droid is getting 2.1 and Flash, it really isn't much difference from this to the N1. The major differences I've seen are the 1ghz processor (which although is fast, I suspect the Droid can handle it's processsing better.) and double the ram...

Now, I do have a few questions.

First, I'm used to the BB platform. Is it easy to root, and customize compared to the limited customization on the BB?

Yes it's pretty easy to root although flashing ROMs and such can take some learning. I came from the same boat you did with the betas and hybrids and I got it figured out no problem. Once you flash a few times it becomes super easy. Especially with the SPRecovery and the help of DroidRootPro.

Also, as far as the ram goes, I had upwards of 70 apps on my BB, what should I expect for App size? I'm just concerned about maxxing out the memory.

You shouldn't have any problem with the RAM on the phone and apps. I have over 50 on my Droid and that list grows almost daily. No battery pulls or lag really due to the apps at all.

Also, I'd like some opinions from users as to the ease of use coming from a BB. I'm sure there will be a learning curve, but I'm just looking for basics.

I took to it like a fish to water and my fiancee who stepped up from her LG NV2 had almost no problem making the jump to the smartphone world with the Droid. It's uber user friendly.

Thanks and I hope I can be as much of a contributor here as I am on crackberry.

Oh! I have another question lol.

On my blackberry it is really easy to get ringtones because I just go to Myxer and download them through the browser, can I do the same thing with the Droid? Download things through the browser?

There's a couple of apps I use:
iMusic for song downloads (Think of it like Lime/Frostwire for your Droid)
Ringdroid to edit the songs to the clips I want for the ringtone
Or the short and easy route = Mobila Ringtones. Download ringtones directly from them and install them on your phone

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
There's a couple of apps I use:
iMusic for song downloads (Think of it like Lime/Frostwire for your Droid)
Ringdroid to edit the songs to the clips I want for the ringtone
Or the short and easy route = Mobila Ringtones. Download ringtones directly from them and install them on your phone

Oh cool thanks. Are all of these free?

So I found a couple Droids on ebay for $200-250 that say they were never opened, so I might be able to get my Droid in a week or so. Has anyone ever bought anything off of ebay? Is this a safe way to go? It definitely would be much easier than getting the extra $300 and buying in the Verizon store.

Last edited:

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: My friend from school who gets new phones almost weekly said he can get a Verizon rep he knows to get me a Droid for $200 maybe $250 in a week, a month at the latest. Super excited :D.

One more question, just to make sure of this. So when I get the Droid, I can just *228 and activate it, and have both my Storm 2 and the Droid working with the same number, on the same plan, and no additional fees will be required?

EDIT: Sorry bout the double post.

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: Ok so my friend said the guy he knows at Verizon couldn't get me the Droid for about two weeks, so I was thinking about buying on ebay. Has anyone had any experience doing this?

And I'm pretty sure that once I get the Droid, I'm gonna save up some money and then sell my Storm 2 for $200, so I can get the Nexus One when it comes to Verizon. Would be pretty sweet lol.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Get the ESN from the seller, call verizon and make sure it is clean. You don't want to be buying one that was lost, stolen or one that is stuck on an unpaid account.

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Get the ESN from the seller, call verizon and make sure it is clean. You don't want to be buying one that was lost, stolen or one that is stuck on an unpaid account.

Ok thanks for this because I have no idea what an ESN is, but seeming as it is important, could you tell me what it is?

And I decided to go with Craigslist instead, cheaper prices and no shipping and handling fees yay.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
If you're buying it on craigslist, have the person meet you at a verizon store or call in and activate the phone before you give the person the money. The ESN/MEID is basically the phones serial number. CDMA phones that have been reported lost, stolen or unpaid are blacklisted and can't be activated so essentially you have an expensive paperweight. On any phone, if you take out the battery, you'll see a sticker with a barcode and an ESN/MEID. Below is the description from the verizon site:

ESN in decimal is represented by 11 numbers, e.g. 22404596915
ESN in hexadecimal, or HEX, is represented by 8 characters that are numbers and letters, e.g. E0462B3
MEID is always hexadecimal, represented by 14 characters that are numbers and letters. The first digit is always A-F.

ESN/MEID Tips:
Don't confuse the letter O with the number 0 (zero). It is always zero. Remember only letters A-F are in an ESN/MEID.

moviemogul

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I am stunned though...why would a 15y/o need a phone like this? Believe it or not, there weren't many cell whones around when I was 15. (This was the days before iPods and the like)

Wow...I'm getting old..lol

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I am stunned though...why would a 15y/o need a phone like this? Believe it or not, there weren't many cell whones around when I was 15. (This was the days before iPods and the like)

Wow...I'm getting old..lol

Because it's a sick phone! Lol. And if I have the money to buy it, why not?

billbobaggins

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
The browser is extremely fast, even without good 3G coverage. I find it Operamini for android not needed. I had a blackberry before this Droid and there is no comparison as far as your concerns. I had 2 apps on bb that I couldn't find in market, Poynt and Viigo. But Google has come out with a near me thing which easily replaced poynt. I bought an app that replaced viigo, that was FeedR. Does a great job.

I highly suggest you get a Droid. Since I got mine its like blackberries are a dying breed. Nothing RIM makes can compete with the Droid.

As far as themes go, I know there is no problem getting wallpapers. To me the original theme is so visually pleasing that I haven't even looked to see if they have themes.

Good luck.
I too used Poynt on my blackberry. I now use Where on my Droid, it is as good as Poynt but does not have reverse look up.

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I too used Poynt on my blackberry. I now use Where on my Droid, it is as good as Poynt but does not have reverse look up.

That's awesome because I use Poynt pretty frequently, so nice to know there will be a similar app on my Droid, when I get it! And I don't use the reverse look up at all anyway so that's not a big deal.

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Finally got my DROID! It's amazing, I already love it. Way better than my Storm2. One big question so far though, I just took out my SD card out of my storm and put it in my Droid, so I know for a fact all my ringtones are on there, but when I go try to set a custom one for text messages, it doesn't show any of them.

Is there a way to view the SD card files on my computer like I did with my Storm2, because I was looking around and someone had a similar problem, and they were told to put all the ringtones in a "notifications" folder. Since I had a blackberry, they are all in a "Ringtones" folder, so I think this might be the problem. Thanks for the help.

Again, so happy to have my Droid!

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Go download "Astro file manager" from the market. That's a file manager for the SD card, you should be able to root around and find your ringtones.