1. ali.fazal's Avatar
    A couple of times this week, I've gotten a text message and looked at the name-- only to find it odd that this particular sender was texting me.

    When I looked back, I saw that it was a different contact and the phone just got confused the first time. I cannot figure out a link between the two contacts (not alphabetically close or anything).

    I'm using SMS Popup if this helps?
    01-19-2010 04:02 AM
  2. Jeremy's Avatar
    More than likely a bug within that SMS Popup. One of the reasons I avoid using apps like that. More often than not you always find bugs like that.
    01-19-2010 05:17 PM
  3. andrew99's Avatar
    I've had that happen a few times. First time it happened it was the second day I had my phone and I had no apps installed yet on it. Haven't noticed it happen in a few weeks though. It only showed the wrong contact name at the very top where it says you the conversation is with, not next to the actual message, that listed the correct name.
    01-19-2010 09:51 PM
  4. rhull3's Avatar
    I have had at least 2 phone calls that said the wrong name with the right number. It seems possible that when they transferred my contacts some of them got somebody else's number.
    01-19-2010 10:36 PM
  5. starscream84's Avatar
    Ill add one to the list, running the stock mess. app. , still on my first droid, with a phone number i've had for a few years. I've noticed the picture will just be the gray android default pic. but it will have the wrong name and number attached to the message, if i back out of the message app, and go back it, it will be correct. also I am not rooted. hhmm I wonder now if this quick update that Verizon is supposedly rolling out this week that isn't supposed to be 2.1 yet has a fix for this in it.
    01-19-2010 11:54 PM
  6. ricksinn's Avatar
    Go figure this was supposed to be a reply to Jeremy. Android, lame here, lame there, Android lame everywhere.

    It is not the fault of SMS it is the Android OS. No other OS but Android displays the wrong contact. I have multiple incidences with my contacts. One example is my contacts with Veterans, multiple extensions therefore multiple dialing after the main number but the only number displayed is the one now that I did the capture the business card with before that it was the main number. When you can't reach that party and you try to call again using the phone recent calls I will only get the business card number displayed but it won't dial any of the rest of the dial pattern.

    Android's OS is so lame and what really sucks is this has been an ongoing problem, I've seen similar posts about this years old and Android either choose to ignore it or more than likely don't care because the people responsible for it I am sure use a different OS, because if they didn't it would have been taken care of the first time they saw it. Or they never call the same number with different extensions, is that even feasible.
    04-09-2014 09:03 PM
  7. Doug1029's Avatar
    I am having similar symptoms with Android 4.4.2, native phone dialer & People app. I don't use Google+ Contacts, only Gmail contacts, but I did import contacts from a prior Android cell phone.

    The sequence of events below may be able to shed light on how it happened in my case. The method is a bit cumbersome, but may help fix your incorrect labels if they aren't too numerous. Good luck.
    1. Added a contact X with phone number Y.
    2. Made a mix of phone calls and SMS texts to X.
    3. Noticed that I had received no texts from X, although he claimed to have received at least some of mine and to have sent some to me. (This could be important, or it could be a red herring.)
    4. Kept the Messaging conversation around, but deleted the contact entry for X in People.
    5. Noticed that the Messaging conversation is now listed with the wrong contact name (call it Z), apparently taken from another entry in my People contacts. I had expected the conversation to revert to being labeled with the phone number Y, as happens with Messaging conversations initiated with the phone number where a People contact has never existed.
    6. Clicked the Android gray default face icon to open the corresponding contact entry.
    7. Saw a People contacts entry with name Z and phone number Y. A contact entry with name Z was present on the Android phone I had prior to this one, and may have been imported when I changed phones. However, I have never knowingly associated it with the phone number Y, which I first used a few months after upgrading my phone.
    8. Deleted this People contact for Z. This gave me an alert that this was a multi-source contact and that part of it would be hidden rather than deleted.
    9. Created a new contact for name X with phone number Y.
    10. Saw that Messaging now labels the conversation correctly as X.
    07-28-2014 02:55 PM