verizon and root

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
They don't have too, because it would be a voiding of warranty. If it is an OG, are you even still in warranty period?

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It is almost impossible to "brick" an OG Droid...if you try to root and it was unsuccessful it will revert back to stock, and if you get rooted and try to flash a custom ROM and it doesn't work you can boot into recovery and flash your back-up, and if your phone needs replaced you can always un-root.

abocornwall

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Its not in warranty and I've had it for a year I'm just kinda scared ill brick it because I don't have the money to buy a whole new phone.

zero3187

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I've rooted, loaded a custom rom, formatted back to stock, and it seems very difficult to brick. Even if something is wrong with the files you have the phone will recognize that and it will just not let you do it.

Darth Vacho

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
If your phone bricks or breaks and its rooted,I would at least try to install the SBF with RSDLite before I returned it and never admit to rooting.

Sploinkin

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
OG Droid doesn't have much bloatware, but rooting is still the way to go.

1. Download your favorite rooting program on your computer (I liked Soup or root)
2. Install Motorola USB drivers
3. Plug phone into computer
4. Click root
5. Win

BryEDS

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Umm, if it is fully bricked, how will they know its rooted? When I spoke to a rep at VZW she basically told me most of the reps have the droid x because they could root it - she wouldn't say "rooted" but she was stongly eluding to it ... I spoke to someone again the other day and told him my phone was rooted so I could use wifi tether for free (although it didn't work well with the APEX blurry rom), and he didn't say a word. You're changing software on the phone, not the hardware. If you remove the seal on the screws or get it wet, yes, voided warranty, but if you root it and the phne is not functional, then they will never know - you really think they will take the time to reload the software on it and find the root? I doubt it .... they could care less ... they do it themselves. If you brick it and don't use RSDLite to restore SBF then you shouldn't be rooting it - its always recoverable in one way or another unless you have a hardware problem. If you root and then the screen goes out or the keyboard stops working, of course send it in as its a hardware problem! Didn't they pass a law basically saying you could jailbreak your iphone as you are modifying software - if so, that same bill extends to any droid phone as well in VZW. Think about it ... it would be like dell voiding your warranty because you changed it to a hackintosh or put linux on it instead of windows. Completely ridiculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze