Will you consider switching from DROID to CDMA Iphone?

ultimate_ed

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Nothing would surprise me more than for Steve Jobs to allow the iPhone to have a removable battery.

Honestly, I have an Ipod Touch for music and a Droid for everything else. Apple is really going to have to step up with it's next gen Iphone. They can certainly ride the inertia for a while, but they need to get back in the innovation game again.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Not with the way things stand right now. There are too many things with the current generation of iPhones that I do not like, one of the biggest gripes being the fact that it does not have a removable battery -- which for me, is a must.

edwinc8811

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
no way!! i promised myself that i will never own an apple product. now that i went from a blackberry to a droid, i am 100% satisfied and not one bit jealous anymore

anon(7436)

Jan 13, 2010
twitter.com
Absolutely yes. I'm no fanboy, but I loved my iPhone when I had it. Still have all my applications and games from 8 months ago. :) And really, do you need a removable battery? That's really stupid. You can definitely count on something fantastic if the iPhone does come to Verizon, though, that's for sure. Hopefully a 32GB iPhone...

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
No, never! I will never own an iPhone, or any Apple phone. I'm kind of Anti-apple products. I go as far as owning an iPod. And besides, now I'm loyal to Google & Android, I love the Droid.

anon(7436)

Jan 13, 2010
twitter.com
Brand loyalty seems to be everyone's downfall here. You're not open to other devices, and you think what you have is the best. I know there are also iPhone/BB/WM users out there, but damn, the elitism I've seen around Android... You boast your open source applications, but the Marketplace is filled with so many crappy, useless apps (i.e. soundboards, task killers), zero decent games, and when you have your backgrounding up and running, you complain about a slow phone. Again, there's a lot of the same elitism surrounding the iPhone and there are a few flaws in the system, but sh1t, people, where's all this animosity coming from?

/rant

devarshi

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
If the iphone got multitasking, I might consider it. Its a really cool device, but too locked down by apple (and att for now). Plus I love my Droid.

hollip3020

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Short answer: No

Long answer:
I can never stand for what apple stands, i.e. completely closed system, paying to upgrade software for a device you've already bought (ipod touch for OS v2 and 3), hype-machine, pretending things like mms and copy/paste are brand new technologies, etc.

I do not want to put my app through a completely arbitrary and nonsensical approval process just to sell it (or even give it away) directly on the device. Also, I want to be able to develop on any computer I may have. If it were required to use a linux machine to develop for android there would definitely be very few 3rd party apps (sorry linux, I love you but you're still a vast minority). This ecosystem may not have 100,000 apps -- completely pointless number btw, I double dog dare anyone to point out 1000 that are actually useful which are not ebooks/newspapers/publications/city reference guides. Also games are excluded since those are almost always useful. ok back on track -- and by no means does android have a hugely better good:bad app ratio. Sure on the iPhone there may be "an app for that", but in reality there's probably 100, and you're left sifting through the sh*t for the diamond ring the dog ate. It's just a shame google didn't preempt apple. I think apple's current financial state would be much different had android been released first, or at least the iphone would be vastly different (multitasking, mms at launch, more lenient app approval process, etc).

When the ipod touch first came out a few years ago, I instantly recognized the potential. I went out and bought one within the first couple weeks it was released knowing it wouldn't be long until it would be cracked wide open. To me it was the second coming of the PDA, only much much better. Not only was it a more than capable media player with decent battery life (as long as you dont watch anything more than a single movie), it showed promise to replace my aging laptop as one of my lecture essentials. I remember the day it was first jailbroken (I was in the IRC channel watching the banter between the devs as it happened) and it was a glorious moment when they were first able to inject code successfully. Long story short, it's now relegated to in-car music duties pretty much solely. What happened? Apple deciding to charge $10 to upgrade the software on it...twice. Seriously? I refused to pay a maintenance fee to unlock features of a device that are completely software related so I had to "borrow" each of them from a "friend." I equate the fee to el jobso reestablishing who will still get on their knees for him (and yes I mean in that way), completely unnecessary and an abuse of power.

At apple's event this wed, after each "innovation" and "breakthrough" take a step back, do some research and you might find that apple is really not as innovative as they seem. I mean, MMS? really? the sh*tty flip phone I had in 2003 had MMS. Sure at that time you'd have to sell your left nut just to afford sending a few, but it was there. Speaking of which, arbitrary software restrictions when the hardware is plenty capable should be illegal. "Hi, I have a bluetooth radio that technically supports everything that's out there,...buuuut, I'm gonna only allow you to connect mono bluetooth headsets. Why? No particular reason. I just like pushing my technology back a few years." I'm sure I'm forgetting something else here but I need to move on.

Lastly, the entire Apple/Mac/iPhone rumor mill sickens me. "OMGIJSMP!!!(omg i just shat my pants) THE TABLET IS GONNA HAVE A SCREEN!!!!" What is the point? so you can say you knew 2 days ahead of time? How does it matter to anyone until the device has been announced/released? I fully understand companies trying to hype a new product, but this has just gotten out of hand. Most companies have to pay many many millions of dollars for the amount of publicity apple gets for free. I'm just waiting for the one virus that sneaks through and brings down the entire community. I know it's a little sadistic but that day will bring me so much joy. Don't get me wrong tho, there are some things Macs just do better, like video editing and audio recording/editing, and a Mac is the sole computer in my recording studio (actually it's a hackintosh, but mac os nonetheless).

Wow, I guess I needed to get that out.

So in summary, no I will not be getting an iPhone if/when it comes to vzw.

P.S. chrisdazzo that's not a rant, this is a rant ;)

BoNg420

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Next Gen Iphone needs:

*Removable batter AND memory
This way if battery die, I can change it myself and also allow me to put in my own SDcard for storage so I don't have to pay ridiculous amounts for a phone with larger memory. Also this would probably save them on manufacturing costs. One phone instead of 3 or so different flavors.

*Allow for better customization.

Thats all I can really think of, I never liked the iphone, got an itouch, so no need for an iphone.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
No.

now if AT&T got their 3G all nice and perfected and upgraded to 7.2, iPhone OS 4.0, I would be seriously tempted to switch back. =(

geeanywhere

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I have an Iphone at this point with my Droid on my other hand. I think in my opinion Apple does it's jobs with gaming and music but I noticed, Android market really isn't far off. If they were to have came out at same time with App store for both systems, Who know where this comparison would be. None the less, I know I am happy with droid little more as day passes. I only use the Iphone for the all the other uses. As for Apple coming to Big Red, I say bring it but also bring consistent updates with it. All the smartphone lacks on that and I don't hate just being opinionated. I will stick with my Droid for the time being. I get to find new finds everyday. 2.1 isn't far off and their 3.2 is questionable.

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
If a CDMA iPhone becomes available I'd probably add it as a second phone. I wouldn't be able to make it my primary phone until Apple adds 3rd party multitasking, a better battery, and AVRCP.

I could add the iPhone for 9.99 and $30 (minus 25%) so it worth having plus I have a great iPhone integration in my Acura and was thinking about getting a iPod touch but would rather have a Verizon iPhone.

Between my wife's iPod touch and the 4 months I owned an iPhone, I have a ton of apps that I already paid for and would love to get my moneys worth.

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I've considered many times about buying iphone and unlocking it then going to t-mo. I really like verizon though, and I've never had a problem with them, though I would love an iphone I refused to move.. Then the Droid came out.. I still had my doubts but after playing around with it, I was in love... I really like my Droid. If the iphone came to VZW it would defiently be my next phone, but I dont see myself shelling out all that cash for one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1