Battery drain

Snipperdo17

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
So this past week and a half my battery has been draining like nothing. The last app I downloaded was screenmodewidget and I have since uninstalled it but the battery still drains way more than usual. I previously had no problem getting through a day but now it won't hold a charge for even half a day with moderate use. And if I fully charge it before I sleep, it is completely dead when I wake up around 8:30. The GPS icon stays up in my notification bar all of the time and it never used to be there all the time. It would just show up when I used maps and then later go away. I know I can turn GPS off but then I have to go in and turn it on all the time. I never had this problem a week ago. Anyone have any idea what I did? Thanks in advance!

mjones73

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Under settings, About Phone, Battery Usage, it should tell you what's using the highest percentage of the battery, check it after it's been running off the charger for awhile.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
What Widgets do you have on your home screen and if they have geolocation turn that off and manually put in your location. The other thing is backup your phone then do a factory reset I could. Be an apparently doing it. But that's doubtful last take it to Verizon and tell them you think you have a bad battery

TGuy

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Don't know if this helps but if u have a task mgr installed, remove it and see I that helps. I used to wake up and find my phone dead after 3 or 4 hrs of sleep then I read in another thread about task
mgrs becoming a problem for a few different reasons and one of them happened to be battery draining. Once I uninstalled the one I had, my battery life improved greatly.

TGuy

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Don't know if this helps but if u have a task mgr installed, remove it and see I that helps. I used to wake up and find my phone dead after 3 or 4 hrs of sleep then I read in another thread about task
mgrs becoming a problem for a few different reasons and one of them happened to be battery draining. Once I uninstalled the one I had, my battery life improved greatly.

R

Roy Aguilera

Under settings, About Phone, Battery Usage, it should tell you what's using the highest percentage of the battery, check it after it's been running off the charger for awhile.

I would check that first.
Then I would turn GPS off and back on. Sometimes phones have a brain fart.
If that does not fix it. I would post what apps I am running so that we can help you better.

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
i had one day where my battery was dead by noon but I think it was because I changed a setting in newsrob and it was syncing much more frequently. All's well again

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I used to have some widgets updating pretty frequently - like every 30 minutes. Also used to have weather updating very frequently. I switched the settings to update widgets and weather to only update every 2 hours. I saw my battery life improve - that might be your culprit, check those settings.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Or it could be something as sublime as Marine Compass! It's a beautiful little app with a gimballed compass, just cool to look at and seems to magically know which way is which even without gps on! But after installing it, my battery drained crazy fast. And then they sent an update explaining that even when it wasn't on, it was sucking on the battery in the background. Who knows why? Behind the green curtain, strange things go on.

rb68

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I was having a hellacious battery drain recently. Turned off the GPS and that seemed to stop the drain. It may be a coincidence, but it seemed to start about the same time Google rolled out the Near Me Now link on their home page. It seems like the GPS and browser never stopped trying to locate me...

dagostin

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I was having a hellacious battery drain recently. Turned off the GPS and that seemed to stop the drain. It may be a coincidence, but it seemed to start about the same time Google rolled out the Near Me Now link on their home page. It seems like the GPS and browser never stopped trying to locate me...

indeed this is a bug. if you leave browser on the default google home page, it's happened to me a bunch of times, especially if you're inside. GPS seems to continually try to get a lock and never stops. Eventually sometimes the OS kills the browser process if it needs resources but this is defintely one thing that would do it. Until they fix the "bug", i would change your default hoem page or just remember not to leave the browser on it. or of course turn off gps unless ya need it.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
i feel bad for you i'm overclocked at 110ghz and ive been pounding on my phone since 6am and im now at 40% but thats about average for me

jhamilton3#CB

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
indeed this is a bug. if you leave browser on the default google home page, it's happened to me a bunch of times, especially if you're inside. GPS seems to continually try to get a lock and never stops. Eventually sometimes the OS kills the browser process if it needs resources but this is defintely one thing that would do it. Until they fix the "bug", i would change your default hoem page or just remember not to leave the browser on it. or of course turn off gps unless ya need it.

I think this is probably what is happening to me..

Is there a signal/sign at the top that means the phone is using/searching GPS?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
yes you will see the little gps icon flashing on the notification bar looks the same as the one in the power control widget