Earpiece Problem

ethan

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm having a weird problem where when I make a call, theres no audio coming into the earpiece on the phone. Apparently people on the other end can hear me, but the earpiece on my phone doesn't work. This only happens sometimes. Any ideas?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I read this one other time, and another symptom was that the headset icon displayed, even though the headset wasn't plugged in. Did you happen to notice that or not?

If it were me, I would

1.) Suspect 3rd party apps.
2.) Hard reset.
3.) Hardware issues: return it.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I read this one other time, and another symptom was that the headset icon displayed, even though the headset wasn't plugged in. Did you happen to notice that or not?

If it were me, I would

1.) Suspect 3rd party apps.
2.) Hard reset.
3.) Hardware issues: return it.

I agree with a issue like this always a perform hard reset before going into a store. Chances are that's the first thing they will end up trying anyways.

Kaizmuth

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I've found that my headset (bluetooth Plantronics Voyager Pro) tends to do this when the battery gets low. Works great other wise. If it happens, I call the person back, it works fine; but invariably the battery in the headset is low.

scodoublet

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Any chance you have your ringer muted at the same time you're having this problem? For some reason my Droid had the Earpiece volume linked to the ringer volume. When I would try to turn up the volume of the ear piece in-call it would appear that it turned up but the sound would not go up at all.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I know this sounds like a stupid suggestion.... but, I always go for the most obvious solution first. Sorry, if this insults you...

but, are you aware that the while on a call the volume rocker increases / decreases the headset volume?

You stated that they can hear you and you have trouble hearing them, But, this only happens sometimes. The volume setting for calls can be set to a default volume or to "last call" volume. Perhaps your default is good but every once in a while your actually pressing the volume rocker with your thumb while holding the phone on a call.

I've noticed my thumb goes right where the down volume buttom is if I'm holding the phone with the right hand. Maybe you have the default set OK, but, every once in a while due to holding the phone with your thumb on the volume down switch your actually just turning it down.

While the phone is pressed to your head and the volume is being turned down by accident you can't see the screen which is diplaying the fact that volume is being turned down - therefore, you assume it's a malfuction. Try adjusting how you hold the phone.

Sorry, if that seemed like I was talking down to you. "why is my volume low?" "uh, you turned it down." I just find that 9 times out of 10, the problems I have are user error.

ethan

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I don't think I'm turning it down, as far as I can tell. The problem isn't with an external earpiece, it's with the one that's built into the phone, and it seems to only happen sometimes.

scodoublet

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I don't think I'm turning it down, as far as I can tell. The problem isn't with an external earpiece, it's with the one that's built into the phone, and it seems to only happen sometimes.

Is your ringer volume turned down when you have the earpiece problem? That happened to me before.

kennyidaho

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I know this sounds like a stupid suggestion.... but, I always go for the most obvious solution first. Sorry, if this insults you...

Well I don't know how the OP feels about this but I am highly offended! How dare you talk to me like that - do you talk to your mother with that filth?

woahboi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
i had this issue sometimes when i was using a bluetooth device and then turned the device off but did not turn the bluetooth off from my phone. seems odd to me but i just have to turn off bluetooth connectivity and all is well

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
Mine does this too and I have figured out what causes it. first I should say that it can be fixed with a reboot. if I have anything plugged into the headphone jack and have anything playing audio phone call or music, I have to pause it before removing the headphone plug. Otherwise, the earpiece speaker will not work.. if I pause the music then remove it, the speaker will work fine.If I put call on speaker phone then unplug the headphone jack, its fine..very strange and I can replicate the issue every time... hmmm, wonder if I am the only one with this issue...

benthomas

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd just like to let you know that I am having exactly the same issue as the original poster. I haven't really looked too much into why but I have tried ending apps one by one before trying again to see if I can find the cause. Sometimes I'll go days without it happening, other times it will happed regularly. It's really frustrating because when someone calls me, it's fine.
9 times out of 10, if I use an app to 'end all' of my apps it will work again.

Zookeeper

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Sorry I can't post urls yet but there is this application you can run when your audio gets messed up. Doesn't matter what causes the audio to get goofy this application will fix it.

alldroid.org/threads/15058-[RELEASE]-fix-audio-after-disconnecting-headphones-AUX-cable

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Mine does this too and I have figured out what causes it. first I should say that it can be fixed with a reboot. if I have anything plugged into the headphone jack and have anything playing audio phone call or music, I have to pause it before removing the headphone plug. Otherwise, the earpiece speaker will not work.. if I pause the music then remove it, the speaker will work fine.If I put call on speaker phone then unplug the headphone jack, its fine..very strange and I can replicate the issue every time... hmmm, wonder if I am the only one with this issue...

Mine just started to do this late last week. I do find that a reboot fixes it, but that is anoying as hell.

I am always listening to my MP3's or Pandora through a radio in my office or my car via a cable plugged into an AUX port. I almost never manually pause my music when I need to move to a different location and unplug the phone. I will start pausing before I unplug to see if my problem goes away.

Thanks for your post.

Muratboynu

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a similar problem where earpiece does not work but speaker and headphone works. If I pressed the phone hard onto my ear, I could hear the sound through earpiece, I had fixed the screen before so something must be loose inside.

Cgerickson

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Immediately following Nougat upgrade on Motorola Droid Turbo 2 earbud audio, on a phone call, failed. The earphones are now delivering some songs okay and some poorly if at all. Sadly, I will likely start the Verizon assist routine. All was good with Marshmallow.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol