02-12-2010 01:36 PM
103 12345
tools
    You place the update in the root of your sdcard with astro make sure you have no other update.zip on the root of your sdcard power your phone of the power it on while holding x. Once your phone powers on your in the recovery screen. It should say 99.3 on the top.
    Now while in this screen you apply the update zip
    02-11-2010 10:33 AM
    My opinion is that Droid 2.1 is still in the "soon to be rolled out steps" and can be expected late this week because of the still present facebook post. It may be receiving a few last minute tweaks (hopefully with more specs and not less). But with the rumored Droid bricking that 2.1 was causing at first, i wouldn't be surprised if Moto and verizon are really putting 2.1 through its paces to ensure OS quality. They will never release a official OTA that bricks devices, because then they would be required to replace all 250,000+ Droids on the market.

They may be adding the option to choose (2.1 app launcher <due to high complaints> vs. 2.0 app drawer). asthetics vs. power is about a 50/50 in consumer choice. So maybe it will be optional. only downside is the update size would be bigger.

Is anyone really that unhappy with 2.0.1? with all that you can do to/with it (before root)? not to mention 2.0.1 is what gave us the gift or (root). so i think we all need to just be patient, and wait for motorola to roll out what the have built.

That being said, I think it would be great if Moto released what they had now on download from URL only basis (not OTA) so if you wanted to play with what has been prepared you can (no 3D launcher), and then once they have completed their tweaks they can release the OTA to the masses.
    02-11-2010 11:27 AM
    It is my understanding that Motorola will release the new OS to Verizon to test before releasing to the general public. Verizon's testing process can take a while to complete. After the new OS passes through all of the different phases, Verizon will release it, if it passes all phases.

I find it puzzeling that Motorola made the announcement regarding the release of 2.1. I would expect to hear from Verizon and not Motorola.

Can any insiders confirm this process?
    02-11-2010 12:04 PM
    Google and Motorola can both push out updates without Verizon's testing or approva
    02-11-2010 12:17 PM
    I can't confirm that, but I know the process tends to progress like this:

Google>Motorola (Tweaks and testing)>Verizon (testing)>Motorola (Tweaks and testing)>...>Verizon (accepting or rejecting)

I'm unsure of which company actually releases it to the Droid Users. Whether it is coming from:
    1) a Motorola server pushed to all of the Verizon manufactured and branded hardware
    2) a carrier server that pushes to all of its registered Droids.

I'd assume the first because i've used verizon phones before that they didn't have registered to a user and still received OS update abilities. (when i had a BB storm 9530 hacked to work on alltel <pre-purchased> i could update my OS OTA)
    02-11-2010 12:23 PM
    02-11-2010 12:23 PM
    Just picked this off the web:

Earlier this week, Motorola's official Facebook page posted information on a planned update for the Droid. That posting indicated that the Droid woud be updated over the air with Android version 2.1 "this week." Motorola has now stepped back from that statement, indicating that it was premature. Motorola said to PhoneScoop in an email, "The Droid over-the-air software upgrade is expected to rollout soon. It will automatically be pushed to phones when ready and Verizon Wireless customers will only have to accept the free download for continued use and enjoyment of this feature packed device.

Well, there's our answer. It'll be available "soon." I understand "soon" in the same context that the Mesozic era, just 251 million years ago next Wednesday, is classified as "recent"
    02-11-2010 12:38 PM
    can we say that this thread is off topic? lol... If I don't see an update by monday morning, root and overclock for my droid
    02-11-2010 12:38 PM
    I have a gut feeling that it will start rolling out Sunday (Midnight East Coast).
    Official 2.1>BB>Scholes>Everything else
    02-11-2010 12:39 PM
    They gotta stop speaking in riddles.
    "Yesterday is History, tomorrow is a mystery, but today, today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."-Kung Fu Panda.
    02-11-2010 12:41 PM
    What does the Sholes 2.0.3 rom give you? I have looked around their site and I can't find the details of what it contains.
    i also have the smoked glass rom installed. I was curious about sholes 203 though so I installed their updater and installed the rom. its a good rom, but I switched back to smoked glass. I didn't notice much of a difference between the two. mostly cosmetic. I did however think the smoked glass rom performed better. So yeah I switched back. just thought I'd throw that out there for ya.
    02-11-2010 12:44 PM
    dreamers you all whom believe that the mystical 2.1 will come to all who wait
    if you remember when 2.01 dropped it didn't go threw big red it was announced and dropped within a couple days there after
    02-11-2010 12:49 PM
    dreamers you all whom believe that the mystical 2.1 will come to all who wait
    if you remember when 2.01 dropped it didn't go threw big red it was announced and dropped within a couple days there after
    It did go through VZW. Motorola does not push the updates, neither does Google. VZW makes the final call.
    02-11-2010 12:56 PM
    It did go through VZW. Motorola does not push the updates, neither does Google. VZW makes the final call.
    true,it was pushed out by verizon.
    02-11-2010 01:28 PM
    I did the Sholes 2.03 and have the SETCPU at 800. Exactly what is the difference from the stock? Yeah, I have the 5 screens and such but speed wise, I can't see any noticeable difference. What does this Shoes give you that the stock doesn't besides the screens.
    02-11-2010 01:29 PM
    wi fi tether, more customization,
    02-11-2010 01:35 PM
    DA... Stop with your riddles.... Im getting so Confucius..... lol
    02-11-2010 02:38 PM
    Well being that they have not come out and say that it will not drop this week. I am still hopefull that it will drop by Sunday. If not Jeremy will drive down to Motorola headquarters and give them hell for us.
    02-11-2010 02:41 PM
    wi fi tether, more customization,
    Oh my friken goodness! Thethering on the Droid is out of this world!!!!!!!!!!!! My laptop is smoking hot browsing the web. You have to wonder if Verizon will put a clamp on this with the data that you can use doing this.
    02-11-2010 02:50 PM
    Oh my friken goodness! Thethering on the Droid is out of this world!!!!!!!!!!!! My laptop is smoking hot browsing the web. You have to wonder if Verizon will put a clamp on this with the data that you can use doing this.
    As long as you don't over do it. You should be fine. Stay off YouTube and any downloads that are big. Heavy usage will bring up a big red flag and they could charge you/terminate your contract.
    02-11-2010 02:58 PM
    sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.lol
    02-11-2010 03:01 PM
    As long as you don't over do it. You should be fine. Stay off YouTube and any downloads that are big. Heavy usage will bring up a big red flag and they could charge you/terminate your contract.
    Aren't we paying for "unlimited data"? I know they have a cap of 5gb stated but I think that would be hard to achieve. I have been streaming Pandora 8hrs/day at work and still have only used hundreds of mb ..
    02-11-2010 03:31 PM
    Aren't we paying for "unlimited data"? I know they have a cap of 5gb stated but I think that would be hard to achieve. I have been streaming Pandora 8hrs/day at work and still have only used hundreds of mb ..
    Yeah, but phones are designed to sip data. With computers, on the other hand, 5 gigs is almost nothing. That difference in data usage management is what would create a red flag for Verizon.
    02-11-2010 04:24 PM
    Well being that they have not come out and say that it will not drop this week. I am still hopefull that it will drop by Sunday. If not Jeremy will drive down to Motorola headquarters and give them hell for us.
    Ha, not sure I could enter with a HTC or Apple device...
    02-11-2010 04:49 PM
    I Would go I'm just hoping they don't wait to long to push this out
    02-11-2010 05:13 PM
103 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD