Just a warning to everyone, this seems to be a problem with all my friends Droids as well.

Do not let your battery die completely. Well its not really that bad, more annoying if anything.

If your phone dies completely, then you cannot turn it on unless you have a wall charger. Also a car phone charger seems to work as well.

So the problem is you cannot turn your phone on now matter how long you leave it connected by USB!

You will only be able to turn it on with a wall charger or car charger. This has annoyed me a few times, heavy use at work, I only bring a USB charger and Im not at my desk all day, my phone dies, argh can't turn it on again.
    02-15-2010 08:44 AM
    So the problem is you cannot turn your phone on now matter how long you leave it connected by USB!
    Even after a battery pull?
    02-15-2010 10:18 AM
    Even after a battery pull?
    yes, it wont come back on with USB cable no matter what. You have to charge with wall or car charger!
    02-15-2010 10:32 AM
    Wow, never knew this.. and my phone has been dying completely a lot lately.
    02-15-2010 10:47 AM
    I have done this on my droid and it did come back as soon as i plugged in my car charger have not tried usb to a computer yet, but it does show the car charger as AC on the battery app i got, i might give it a try tonight and see if I can revive on the computer USB.
    02-15-2010 10:50 AM
    Hopefully this is an issue that was known before Motorola began working on 2.1
    02-15-2010 01:33 PM
    Agreed! I haven't ran into this yet, but I'm gonna see if I can reproduce it tonight.
    02-15-2010 01:38 PM
    Good thing that the USB cable is the charger. Would be more of a pain if they were separate devices, like a BB.

Not a HUGE pain, of course, but I do like the double wall charger/usb they have going.
    02-15-2010 02:24 PM
    Good thing that the USB cable is the charger. Would be more of a pain if they were separate devices, like a BB.

Not a HUGE pain, of course, but I do like the double wall charger/usb they have going.
    The usb cable is so short though!
    02-15-2010 02:35 PM
    much agreed
    02-15-2010 04:24 PM
    My droid's battery has died before and Ive never used the wall charger. it does come back to life after like 20 mins or so
    02-15-2010 05:01 PM
    I like that it's shor,t make less cable laying on my desk : )
    02-15-2010 05:10 PM
    My droid's battery has died before and Ive never used the wall charger. it does come back to life after like 20 mins or so
    My buddy left his plugged in USB on his PC at work for over an hour and it wouldn't turn on. Same with me, plugged in in forever and it would not come on.
    02-15-2010 07:42 PM
    And leaving it plugged in to USB never charged the battery at all?
    02-15-2010 10:04 PM
    And leaving it plugged in to USB never charged the battery at all?
    Didn't seem to.
    02-15-2010 11:06 PM
    +1.

I like the USB cable that comes with the Palm Pre-- it was nice and long. These short cables make it more cumbersome to plug in my phone to charge at night and still use it while laying in bed.
    02-16-2010 11:59 AM
    Mine has done the same. However, I left it on the USB charger for a while and it turned on after disconnecting it.
    02-16-2010 12:23 PM
    I am gonna keep my USB cables from my blackberry and use them because they are nice and long themselves!
    02-16-2010 01:34 PM
    My droid went dead over night and i plugged it in through the usb and after a few minutes it came on.
    02-16-2010 09:09 PM
    usb is a poor charging solution to begin with, each computer output is different and it is unregulated. just because it can doesn't mean it was made to do that. usb3.0 should be a great improvement.
    02-17-2010 05:12 AM
    My droid went dead over night and i plugged it in through the usb and after a few minutes it came on.
    Weird.

Maybe its the computers at work, they are older POS computers, so maybe its not giving the phone enough charge.

usb is a poor charging solution to begin with, each computer output is different and it is unregulated. just because it can doesn't mean it was made to do that. usb3.0 should be a great improvement.
    Yea I was thinking maybe it was mine and my fellow coworkers PCs at work aren't putting out enough for the phone to charge, although they do charge when the battery has some juice in it. If our phones completely die and we left them plugged in for over 30-60 minutes a few times it has happened to us and the phone would not power on after that...
    02-17-2010 07:02 AM
    I just got a new replacement yesterday,

Battery died today and turned off, I barely used my phone this morning. Weird ****. Said my display was hogging over 60% of my battery, so unless it kept turning on in my pocket, I dunno.

Anyways

I went to my desk and plugged it in to the USB, and it worked and turned on instantly.

Maybe if was a fluke with my old launch droid? My buddy at work who had the issue also had one he got near launch. So maybe they fixed it in later productions and refurbs?
    02-17-2010 11:21 AM

So that is going to be addressed in 2.1 ? Cool!

I keep a spare USB, the one that came with my phone, at work so I can keep it plugged in all day so the battery stays full; and i bought a 2nd, longer, charging USB cable for at home that I can use with my wall charger.
    02-17-2010 01:09 PM
    New Droid a few days ago, same thing happened to me, while on the phone it just beeped and died, no warning, then when plugged into the laptop would not turn on, had to sit in the car because I couldn't find the wall charger. Quite frustrating, but I still love my Droid.
    02-21-2010 05:32 PM
    Hello,

Yes the USB cable with the Droid is very small. I just went to this website, and got a 15 foot micro USB cable, for about 2 dollars, totally worth it.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
    02-23-2010 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD