02-19-2010 12:07 AM
30 12
tools
    Well I finally made the leap from Blackberry to Droid and so far so good. I was hesitant but after toying with my brother's Droid and playing with it in store I decided to swap out my Storm2 for the Droid. Any pointers, tip or anything I need to know about this cool little device?
    02-17-2010 03:58 PM
    I would say, take a few hours and play around. Have some fun with it, get it all set up, download some free apps and enjoy

You will learn a lot of it quickly, but play with the menus, as they are formatted way different then the Storm2.
    02-17-2010 03:59 PM
    Welcome to the world of Android. You made a great purchase and like Drm2blv suggested get to know the device as it is completely different from the Storm 2. Once your use to it then MOD it out to your taste. You'd be amazed at how many free apps there are that will allow you to do just that. Some quick suggestions are Wallpapers and a home app (Home ++, DX, Open Home, etc) that will get you started. Guaranteed you will become addicted!! Enjoy!
    02-17-2010 04:43 PM
    Oh and ask questions. We are all here to help. The mods are nice here, they always kindly point you in the right direction.
    Enjoy. Its a fun device.
    02-17-2010 04:59 PM
    Congrats welcome to the fam
    02-17-2010 05:17 PM
    I did the same thing - moved to a Droid from a Storm 2.
    The Android platform is way more modern than the BB and I'm quite happy.
    02-17-2010 05:20 PM
    New Droid owner her too. Got it last night and also coming from the BB world.....Storm2 to be exact. I don't regret it one bit either. I'll learn it then MOD! I've been reading up a lot on rooting and such.
    I'm really glad i found this forum also....lots of good information.
    02-17-2010 06:35 PM
    Reading will help a ton also.
    02-17-2010 06:48 PM
    Oh and DA6 will also help, very knowledgeable individual right there
    02-17-2010 06:53 PM
    It sounds like I need to jump on this train as well. Still holding out for some reason as my upgrade is officially in April but did get the mailer about upgrading to a Droid so I may go ahead and do it.

I'm getting that itch. Yeah I know...that doesn't sound good.
    02-17-2010 07:24 PM
    Me and my boyfriend got ours last night... Both switched from Blackberry 8530s. I think I am in love...
    02-17-2010 07:33 PM
    The big thing to remember is that the Droid is a different typing experience than BB. My girlfriend has a storm 2, and I actually like the SurePress screen for typing. Just keep in mind, on soft keyboard there is no feedback (confuses some people), and hard keyboard will take 1 week to a month to get used to, depending on your usage level.

Also remember, the Droid is Infinitely more customizable than the BB Storm 2. There, you get some apps on the homescreen. Here, you can have widgets, apps, pictures, music, etc, etc.

This is a much more open platform, and don't forget to customize :-)
    02-17-2010 08:31 PM
    I just got my droid 2 weeks ago I hated the keyboard when I got now I love it! I've never rooted a phone before in my life I have read about it though...my phone is now rooted to sholes 2.0.5 and I'm loving it, although there is talk again about a 2.1 update coming so I might go back to stock again! Seems like this happens every weekend...
    02-17-2010 09:02 PM
    I hated both the on screen and physical keyboard for the first week I owned the device. Now I have grown to love both of them and am much better at typing on both.
    02-17-2010 09:06 PM
    thanks for all the feedback and advice my good people. so after about four plus of using this device I am loving it. I am going to try to install some wallpapers and download a ton more apps. probably one of the best phone I've owned in about two years.
    02-17-2010 09:48 PM
    be sure to read the tips and tricks threads....zedge is free and has tons of wallpapers and ringtones
    02-17-2010 10:15 PM
    As people will say, just look around the forums, even the older posts, and you will find many new ideas and ways to make your experience that much more enjoyable.
    My top recommended apps are...
    The stock home screen
    Handcent (for SMS and mms)
    Acontacts
    Calendar pad

Welcome!
    02-17-2010 10:17 PM
    Welcome to life as a Droid. If you've got some time to waste and some energy to burn, check out the zombie run app in the market. Its so much fun.
    02-17-2010 11:09 PM
    Definitely root and overclock .. an even better experience
    02-18-2010 10:19 AM
    The big thing to remember is that the Droid is a different typing experience than BB. My girlfriend has a storm 2, and I actually like the SurePress screen for typing. Just keep in mind, on soft keyboard there is no feedback (confuses some people), and hard keyboard will take 1 week to a month to get used to, depending on your usage level.

Also remember, the Droid is Infinitely more customizable than the BB Storm 2. There, you get some apps on the homescreen. Here, you can have widgets, apps, pictures, music, etc, etc.

This is a much more open platform, and don't forget to customize :-)
    There is haptic feedback for the soft-keys. Settings -> Android keyboard settings. In there turn on "Vibrate on keypress" landscape qwerty with feedback is great.

Everything else is on point though.
    02-18-2010 10:24 AM
    Definitely root and overclock .. an even better experience
    what it is rooting and overclocking?
    02-18-2010 01:35 PM
    Also I've been reading about this 2.1 update...is it out and ready or are we still waiting for it to be pushed to our devices?
    02-18-2010 01:38 PM
    Also I've been reading about this 2.1 update...is it out and ready or are we still waiting for it to be pushed to our devices?
    Yes, we're still waiting on 2.1 to arrive on the Droid. According to Moto, it is headed here "soon".

Check out this thread for the current talk on the 2.1 OTA update.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...ates-here.html
    02-18-2010 01:41 PM
    what it is rooting and overclocking?
    This is explained in the Rooting/hacking forums. Check it out, there is a lot of detail there.
    02-18-2010 02:02 PM
    ok so im in the same boat as alot of you, have a storm2 but upgraded (no cost) to the droid so my question is, I have beautiful widgets but I want my homescreen to look like an HTC with the big or small doesnt matter flip clock. Anyone have any idea how I can do that? Thanks so much... This is so much different then blackberry
    02-18-2010 07:31 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD