First stuff to do on new droid?

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I have been looking through the stickied topics about hints/tips. What is the main stuff I should do on the phone when I get it? First stuff I should upgrade, download, etc? Anything else you guys can think of is also appreciated. What will rotting my phone exactly allow me to do? (examples?) and how hard is it?

Also, I loved Viigo on my blackberry Storm, is it available for the droid? And anything for facebook chat?

Only other question is, how well does the droid play with Macs/itunes?

Thanks for all the help! This community already far better than Crackberries. (sorry CB...)

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
I would check out this thread, lots of great app ideas to download. http://forum.androidcentral.com/and...p-5-android-applications.html?highlight=droid

As for Viigo, you can use google reader, but you have to set up the RSS feeds you wish to read and such.

The phone will play fine with a mac, but when you get to the modding/hacking you have to use terminal, which is the mac version of like cmd.exe . as for iTunes, we all know only iPhones play well with that :p

freshnezzz#AC

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Viigo was amazing but that as well as bbm are the past. Google reader is not horrible but you ll find it equally easy. For sure you'll find allot more apps available for your stood than storm so get searching!

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Viigo was amazing but that as well as bbm are the past. Google reader is not horrible but you ll find it equally easy. For sure you'll find allot more apps available for your stood than storm so get searching!

used bbm once. Didn't have many friends who owned blackberries. it was a good smartphone when their weren't a lot of options out on the market. Now they are just outdated.

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
It's not like i can complain much. Viigo was just a fast news reader to pull up all my tech sites at once. The browser on the droid is amazingly fast. Far superior than my storms. (and easier to use). I can just load my sites individually. Not much harder.

freshnezzz#AC

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
used bbm once. Didn't have many friends who owned blackberries. it was a good smartphone when their weren't a lot of options out on the market. Now they are just outdated.

I still miss vijgo. Now I have to use 4 apps to do what viigo did. Listen , live scores, beautiful widgets and google reader.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Get to know your phone prior to thinking about rooting it. Yeah its great running custom Rome and all but its a headache if you don't know it inside and out first.

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I use NewsRob in place of Viigo. It is free in the market You link it directly to your Google Reader account and it just works. Open you Google Reader account on your computer and add anything you want and it will show up in NewsRob. You can set update frequencies and such in the app.

ips

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
As far as facebook chat, check out miibo im. Its free and offers facebook chat, aim and a few other instant messaging clients. I came from a BB storm also and absolutely love the droid. Browse around the forums for a while and youll find a lot of cool and useful apps... browse through the android market too(its set up much nicer than the BB one) and in no time youll have tons of cool and useful apps and widgets.

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I think NewsRob is actually better than Viigo was for reading news. Granted it doesn't have some of the other features that Viigo had, but it's a great program for reading your subscriptions through google reader. Plus, because it syncs with google reader, you have all of those feeds available on the computer in one place.