DROID & FIOS wifi

Lantandroid

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,
I am unable to connect to the internet via my FIOS wireless router at home. I can get an IP but I can not browse. Have any other FIOS users encountered this issue? It is not a huge deal but i want to try out that FIOS remote app which requires wifi.

I know there is a huge thread on this on the Motorola forums but I found no solution there and the thread has turned into a mess.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Lantandroid

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
So you are unable to connect to the wifi?

Are you on the stock ROM, or a custom ROM?

Can you connect to any other wifi?

I can connect and get an IP but I can not surf. I am on the stock ROM. I was able to connect to my neighbor's router (linksys) and get to the internet.

I have verified there is no MAC filtering and I also switched the router to 802.11g only and it is running WEP 64bit.

DeeMat

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Odd, when I tried to connect to mine it searched for the various networks, selected mine, entered the password and I was good to go.

I had some issues initially but everything started working fine after I played around with the Mac address filtering.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,
I am unable to connect to the internet via my FIOS wireless router at home. I can get an IP but I can not browse. Have any other FIOS users encountered this issue? It is not a huge deal but i want to try out that FIOS remote app which requires wifi.

I know there is a huge thread on this on the Motorola forums but I found no solution there and the thread has turned into a mess.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Try connecting to a website by IP address and report back. For example type in your browser type 74.125.53.99 instead of http: //www.google.com

Lantandroid

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
same result. the browser progress bar goes to about 10% and stays there. I also could not browse to a local IP, specifically my router home page.

skinsfan05

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem with fios and mytouch 3g. Phone connects gets ip address but the browser won't get past 10% and apps that use internet don't work. I can connect to other wifi fine. Same thing when I take all the security off the actiontec router. It has to be something with the fios router.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
What encryption are you guys using? I've connected using WPA2 without any issue. I hate to say try it but, try going without encryption and see if it works.

skinsfan05

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I've tried wpa2 all the way down to no security. Ive tried using static ip, rebooting the router etc. etc etc. I have a laptop, nintendo ds and a ps3 that connect fine. My phone connects fine to other open wifi. I just think the fios actiontec is a piece of crap. I guess I'll have to break out the old linksys router.

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
^^ Agreed.

When I had FiOS installed (internet only; no TV services), I had the guy remove their wifi router and activate the ethernet port on the giant FiOS optical network terminal box. I use my own router which I'm more happy with. Verizon's was screwing up my VPN and NAT port forwarding.

Lantandroid

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
I am sad to report the problem persists for me. I am now convinced it is not a setting on my DROID. I purchased two more DROIDS for family members and both are having the exact same problem.

I am not going to troubleshoot it any further as I can easily connect to public wifi spots and 3G is very fast at my house. I figure it is a limitation of the FIOS router (actiontec) and there are no recent updates for that router's firmware.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
this is a fios problem...

My wife's laptop and my LG Blu-ray player were both connected to the router and suddenly neither one were connected to the internet. I had to assign an IP address for the Blue-ray player.

By knowing the IP address of the router or a computer on the network, you can assign the Blu-ray player or network TV and IP address. You simply change the last set of numbers to a number that is not being used by any other device on the network. For example, say the router is using ?192.168.0.1? (most routers default to ?192.168.0.1? or ?192.168.1.1?) then you would choose a number like ?192.168.0.20? or ?192.168.0.40? to assign to your Blu-ray player or broadband TV.

I haven't tried this on the Droid so I'm not sure you can assign an IP for WiFi.