A lot of questions for a new owner

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Just got my droid a few hours ago. I have been using the search function on here like crazy but still have a few questions. lol, bear with me.

Is their anyway to hide or delete the pre-installed apps without roting my phne yet?

Can i move apps around on the menu or atleast put apps in a folder?

My memory stick is installed but doesnt show anything. Music and Pics.

What apps can i use to make custom ringtones and led flashes for txts? And how do I stop both sms apps from sending the same txts twice.

Is their anyway to load my aol email account onto the phone? I don't use gmail.

How can I turn the droid on its side and have the screen rotate without having to slide out the keyboard?

How do i get rid of widgets on my main screen? The facebook one is huge! lol

I am sure I will add more in a bit. haha, thanks for all the help so far guys!

Fat Fingers

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site

I am a newbie too, but I will take this one.

Touch and hold the widget/app you want to move (do not tap it...touch and hold it)....This will allow you to move/drag it. Drag it to the bottom of your main screen over the gray rectangular box at the bottom with the up arrow in it. This will move the widget/app to the screen below your main screen.

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I am a newbie too, but I will take this one.

Touch and hold the widget/app you want to move (do not tap it...touch and hold it)....This will allow you to move/drag it. Drag it to the bottom of your main screen over the gray rectangular box at the bottom with the up arrow in it. This will move the widget/app to the screen below your main screen.

That was easy...lol. 1 down, many more to go! Haha, thank you!

G

GenericMessage

Just got my droid a few hours ago. I have been using the search function on here like crazy but still have a few questions. lol, bear with me.

Is their anyway to hide or delete the pre-installed apps without roting my phne yet?

Not yet

Can i move apps around on the menu or atleast put apps in a folder?

With third party apps you can look at the folders in your system

My memory stick is installed but doesnt show anything. Music and Pics.

Do you have anything ON the card? If so, make sure the music is in the 'music' folder and so on

What apps can i use to make custom ringtones and led flashes for txts? And how do I stop both sms apps from sending the same txts twice.

The LED flashes for texts stock, just make sure its enabled in your settings. There is only one SMS app and thats the stock one (unless you install a 3rd party) And custom ringtones can be made by assigning a MP3 of your choice from the music player or using a app like ringdroid

Is their anyway to load my aol email account onto the phone? I don't use gmail.
Yes, the app is called "email" right on the menu

How can I turn the droid on its side and have the screen rotate without having to slide out the keyboard?

Only for some applications

Long press it, and drag it to the trash can

I am sure I will add more in a bit. haha, thanks for all the help so far guys!

I am sure I probably am very vague and everyone will have much more detailed answers

Last edited:

honestlyx21

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
1. not that i know of
2. you can on your homescreen but not on the app drawer, thats the point for that part. for that, on your homescreen, just long press add folder and drag the apps you want there.
3. are you using the one that came with the phone? i would suggest trying to reformat
4. zedge is good for DL ringtones and ringdroid will let you trim files you have. also missed call is good for custom notifications and LEDs
5. you should be able to do it straight off the email app
6. you cant rotate on the homescreen but most other apps will let you do so without the keyboard slid out.
7. press and hold the widget and drag it down to the trash icon that appears

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
The email app finally worked for me. had to use custom settings to get it working.

As for my memory card (which came with my storm). i'm assuming I have to create specific folders on the card for the droid to register my music and pics?

And is their anyway to have a 'profile" type of notification setting. Im having trouble finding everything. My blackberry could be set to just vibrate with led notification or loud, normal, etc.

Thank you so much for the help already! You guys truly are amazing.

G

GenericMessage

As for my memory card (which came with my storm). i'm assuming I have to create specific folders on the card for the droid to register my music and pics?

That'd be correct.

But why take your old card? The Droid comes with a wonderful new one!

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
That'd be correct.

But why take your old card? The Droid comes with a wonderful new one!

I never reciveved a new card with my droid. It was suppose to have one? Im currently using the 8gig from my storm.

my only other problem is finding a 'profiles" type setting o I can switch between full sounds, just vibrating, and nothing.

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010
www.dancingcrabspeaks.blogspot.com
I never reciveved a new card with my droid. It was suppose to have one? Im currently using the 8gig from my storm.

my only other problem is finding a 'profiles" type setting o I can switch between full sounds, just vibrating, and nothing.

I got a refurb Droid after endless troubles with my Storm 9550. The rep told me it would have all the peripherals - I even double checked that it would have a 16GB - but in the end it arrived without a SD card or USB cable, only a brand new battery, battery panel, and VZW brad cnharger. However, I called them and they let me keep the Storm2's card and cable, so no sweat.

My point is that if you got a 'like new' refurb, then you may not have received an SD card. If, though, you received a retail-boxed new model, then it should have come with a shiny 16GB card.

G

GenericMessage

Yes! They came with 16gb SDHC cards in them!

kellex

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
The long press is your best friend. Meaning: press and hold on almost anything and you'll get another world of options...sort of like a right click in windows.

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Did you buy it directly from verizon? or did you go to BBY?

Straight from a verizon store. Is it a store only promo?

Hell, I didn't know they had a bogo sale on all 3g devices. I just put the girlfriend on my plan last week and got my droid 2 days ago. I ended up paying for a phone they should have given for free because no one mentioned anything about the sale. Lol, it has been a very exciting week.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Call CS and you should be able to get a credit for the cost of the second droid. I'd also go back to the store and tell them I wanted a microSD card. The 16GB card is part of the package. Did you get it from a corporate store or an authorized retailer?

jawa6969

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Since this a newbie thread, and I don't want to create another newbie type question thread, I will ask here.

Are folks here generally experiencing higher speeds using the 3g connection verses the WiFi? So far, when I connect to my Wifi, the speeds are a lot better using the 3g. I also noticed while on Wifi, some apps would get connection errors. I would think it would be the reverse. But then again, these devices are built for 3g. Anyway, any advice would be great.

Peace

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
It depends on your internet connection and network setup. I usually get about 1-1.5Mbps down using 3G and over 3 when I'm on wifi.

leingod

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Call CS and you should be able to get a credit for the cost of the second droid. I'd also go back to the store and tell them I wanted a microSD card. The 16GB card is part of the package. Did you get it from a corporate store or an authorized retailer?

The free phone is taken care of but they want proof that the phone didn't come with a 16gig card. Which I can't prove...I don't think anyone could. I bought the phones from a corporate store. yet they failed to tell me about the bogo deal and my free memory card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams