05-29-2010 08:01 PM
61 123
tools
    I have noticed that anything the uses GPS really kills the battery. I also have problems when I listen to music(Slacker or Pandora) via my Bluetooth headphones.
    03-03-2010 07:18 AM
    The funny thing about GPS draining the battery is the GPS merely receives the satellite signals (no tansmitting involved, which is what really requires a lot of power). The real battery drain is that most location-based apps, once they get the GPS info, then go and constantly download data over the network to update the app based on location changes. That constant updating is probably what kills the battery. For example, Google Maps drains the battery probably because it has to keep downloading map images, not because it keeps receiving GPS info. Just a thought. Of course, in the case of maps, the heavy screen use doesn't help either. A good way to test that would be to use a GPS app that doesn't have to download data over the network. Perhaps a compass app)

-SR-
    03-03-2010 08:55 AM
    So maybe we should make a poll? How many of us find that enabling wifi actually prolongs battery life, in areas with a lot of 1X/3G switching?

I haven't had a change to try it but I will try tomorrow at work.

But another question is, is the level of wifi signal also effecting battery life? As in will my battery be better if I have 3 of 3 wifi bars all day compared to 1 of 3? Or does that not matter?
    03-03-2010 09:53 AM
    So maybe we should make a poll? How many of us find that enabling wifi actually prolongs battery life, in areas with a lot of 1X/3G switching?

I haven't had a change to try it but I will try tomorrow at work.

But another question is, is the level of wifi signal also effecting battery life? As in will my battery be better if I have 3 of 3 wifi bars all day compared to 1 of 3? Or does that not matter?
    It adds at least 4-5 hours of battery life to my phone.

I've had 2 bars of Wifi and full signal and have noticed that weaker signal = slower speeds = slightly longer times to load up a webpage = screen on longer = battery drains a LITTLE faster. Not a significant difference but its a series of reactions that does lead to a little bit more battery drain. We're talking fairly small differences though.

Auto-adjust brightness is a big help too.
    03-03-2010 09:59 AM
    @entwind

That is interesting, I will give this a try tomorrow. When you say 4 to 5 hours are you referring to standby, moderate use, or heavy use?

I leave my screen at about lowest or slightly above lowest.

Mike
    03-03-2010 10:01 AM
    A little bit of everything. I have periods of heavy use, and then I may go 2 hours without touching the phone but then I could be on it for an hour. Apps + 3G are a battery killer. Apps over Wifi seem to drain the battery way less, I think thats where my big savings come from.
    03-03-2010 10:42 AM
    I just got my phone last week so I'm still in the 'new' use class I guess, but when I check my battery use most of the time the display is usually at 60% or higher usage. And this is with keeping the brightness at 0% when indoors and around 50% when outdoors. My battery life just seems to be kinda crappy right now because of the display based on the battery meter. I'm hoping things stabilize but its kinda crazy at this point that at 0% brightness my display is still sucking so much battery juice.
    03-03-2010 11:06 AM
    Well, I've had my Droid for almost a month (got it Feb. 12th), so I guess I'm safe to throw out there how my battery does.

I usually get home from work (about 10 hours from leaving home to getting home) with about 60% battery, and that's with light to moderate use (texting, data, and maybe a bit of game playing) throughout the day; I'd say it's even a bit closer to moderate since I'm on it almost constantly during breaks. Plus I usually talk to the girlfriend for at least 5-10 minutes, sometimes the whole ride home. I know, not safe, but I head home at midnight, so while I'm not a person that feels right when talking while driving, I feel all right about it when no one else is on the road with me.

As a side note, I'm in an Extended Network (1x) while at work as well. I don't know if that messes with the battery at all, but I feel the phone holds out pretty well.
    03-03-2010 01:44 PM
    Most smartphones will get you through the day. There made to be charged every night. My Blackberry died and before I got my Droid I was using an old Samsung flip phone and the battery life was ridiculous. I didn't have to charge it for a week.
    05-27-2010 02:18 PM
    Watch the apps you install too, the more you have running in the background at any given time will contribute to draining your battery. Some apps come defaulted as being on all the time even when they don't need to be so check your settings on your apps and adjust accordingly.
    05-27-2010 02:56 PM
    Get a bigger battery. You r better off with pre plus
    05-29-2010 08:01 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD