Droid's tolerance for abuse

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I got a 2 year old that always picks up my phone and plays with it and stuff.. the phones I had in the past were pretty durable and could take a beating. The Droid's an awesome piece of hardware but it just doesn't have the look of something that can withstand some damage. Anybody have war stories of their Droid taking damage that would destroy lesser phones? Please share!

jmoney00

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
i droped my drlid waking up a flight of stairs. went down like 10 steps. few scraches. but other than that it was fine. screan was fine. i would not want to try it again but its still fine.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Mine's pretty tolerant. I'm glad I have insurance, but this phone passes the "falling 5' onto concrete" test with flying colors. Gorilla glass FTW.

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
The screen is pretty durable but it doesnt hurt to get a screen protector and a simple case and that will help from your battery door and possibly battery falling out after every drop or toss from the little one. I'm using a clear case.. and it's really saved my Droid. I've dropped it a few times and the case is a life saver. And there's all the insurance.

thekC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Man oh man, I hadn't had any close calls in the time I've owned the Droid, we're talking 5 months or so I guess. Over the past week, I've dropped it twice. Both times were on asphalt, and on top of that, both times the phone landed quite nastily on a corner with the battery door exploding off of it. Like a piece of bread with peanut butter, both times the phone ended up resting screen down on the street.

I guess I never noticed how the screen sits barely below the metal casing around it, but I'm surely noticing now. There's a couple of small paint dings on the metal surrounding the screen, but not even the smallest scratch on the screen.

This guy has held up incredibly after what I'd consider pretty violent drops.

FYI, I don't use any type of protection. At least for what we're discussing here.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
The droid is pretty durable but because it's heavy it can be damaged. I've dropped it several times on hard surfaces and it did quite well except for some scratches and a slight dent on one corner. I've even dropped it face down on asphalt and the screen survived without a scratch. However that doesn't mean it'd survive the next time so I take extra care to not have it happen again. Others haven't been so lucky and have cracked their screens.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Once dropped it getting out of my car on the asphalt and it bounced under my car it has a small scratch but that's all.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
The droid is pretty durable but because it's heavy it can be damaged. I've dropped it several times on hard surfaces and it did quite well except for some scratches and a slight dent on one corner. I've even dropped it face down on asphalt and the screen survived without a scratch. However that doesn't mean it'd survive the next time so I take extra care to not have it happen again. Others haven't been so lucky and have cracked their screens.

Gotta love the Gorilla glass :)

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
Man oh man, I hadn't had any close calls in the time I've owned the Droid, we're talking 5 months or so I guess. Over the past week, I've dropped it twice. Both times were on asphalt, and on top of that, both times the phone landed quite nastily on a corner with the battery door exploding off of it. Like a piece of bread with peanut butter, both times the phone ended up resting screen down on the street.

I guess I never noticed how the screen sits barely below the metal casing around it, but I'm surely noticing now. There's a couple of small paint dings on the metal surrounding the screen, but not even the smallest scratch on the screen.

This guy has held up incredibly after what I'd consider pretty violent drops.

FYI, I don't use any type of protection. At least for what we're discussing here.

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!

Anyways. I think we had a thread about this already. Well I dropped my phone a couple times, and only have scratches on the metal frame (1 scratch actually) and one on the battery door (barely noticable).

All drops have been about 3-5 feet drops, with one being thrown into the air, and the momentum pushing it another couple feet infront of me.

And no scratches on the screen at all.

Gotta love this phone.
(Landed on tile floors btw, and once outside on pavement)

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!

Anyways. I think we had a thread about this already. Well I dropped my phone a couple times, and only have scratches on the metal frame (1 scratch actually) and one on the battery door (barely noticable).

All drops have been about 3-5 feet drops, with one being thrown into the air, and the momentum pushing it another couple feet infront of me.

And no scratches on the screen at all.

Gotta love this phone.
(Landed on tile floors btw, and once outside on pavement)

I think you've had the worst drop stories I've heard yet..lol

chipguy

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I use the car holder and found that the mounting ball-socket joint is the same as that used on the Garmin GPS mounts. As a result I got a handlebar GPS mount for my bicycle and clipped on the DROID. What I failed to remember is that the bracket clips onto the mounting with a slide-on tab that isn't that secure.

Of course as I was riding along the droid popped off, hit the pavement at about 20 MPH, the car holder went flying and split apart.

However there was NO damage to anything. The DROID was unscratched, the car holder clipped back together and they are all no worse for wear. Of course I'll be sure to make the whole thing a lot more secure before I try using it as a bike GPS again, but I was amazed at it's tolerance to abuse.

PRNmeds

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
So I dropped my phone for the first time today, while doing a jumping jack, my droid flew out of my pocket and landed on the asphalt. I hadn't realized the metal around the screen us slightly raised, but I believe it saved my screen, I only have a small knick on the outside rim of the phone.

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
So I dropped my phone for the first time today, while doing a jumping jack, my droid flew out of my pocket and landed on the asphalt. I hadn't realized the metal around the screen us slightly raised, but I believe it saved my screen, I only have a small knick on the outside rim of the phone.
I'd have to take my phone out of my pocket if i was doing jumping jacks!

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I got a 2 year old that always picks up my phone and plays with it and stuff.. the phones I had in the past were pretty durable and could take a beating. The Droid's an awesome piece of hardware but it just doesn't have the look of something that can withstand some damage. Anybody have war stories of their Droid taking damage that would destroy lesser phones? Please share!

2-year olds aren't that high off the ground. So, drops may not be your primary problem. Unless you got a climber there... My kid's a frickin' spider monkey and could conceivably drop my Droid from the roof.

I'd be more concerned about the "and stuff" issues you alluded to. What EXACTLY does your kid do with the Droid? Are we talkin' poop here? 'cause, I gotta tell ya - my main concern wouldn't be the Droid's durability. I'd be worried about the *ick* factor. Then I'd be worried about your kids' durability for the smackdown he'd get for smearing poop on your Droid.

lmac00

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
ughhhhhhhhhhhh i dropped mine on pavement yesterday and there is a HUGE crack down the screen... still works but does not look at nice now..... :(

MissMe

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine did backflips out of my coat pocket one day onto my tile floor. It landed on its corner, the Seidio case back popped off (not sure what the hell that was about btw), and the battery door came off. I FREAKED out because a) that was the first time that I had ever dropped it and b) that was a bad day for my BB curve when that happened to it. To my surprise, the phone was still on and running. No dents, no scrapes, no scratches. I GUESS the case helped - still want to know why it just jumped ship on my droid like that.

I'd be (and am) more concerned about the "and stuff". I'm paranoid about someone (read: me) spilling something, spraying something, dropping it IN something that could damage it rather than a simple drop

Last edited: