Is 2.1 supposed to fix handsfree bluetooth dialing?

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
No.

I had mentioned this some time ago, but I really doubt its going to happen with the Droid. Moto has to pay a licensing fee to Nuance for their software, and somehow I doubt they would include that in an OTA update.

steve4810

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Don't all these people realize that this makes the Droid illegal to use in California while driving?

BTW what does Nuance have to do with such a basic function? The last three Verizon phones I bought (two Motos and a Samsung) ALL included this and they were cheaper phones than the Droid.

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
Don't all these people realize that this makes the Droid illegal to use in California while driving?

BTW what does Nuance have to do with such a basic function? The last three Verizon phones I bought (two Motos and a Samsung) ALL included this and they were cheaper phones than the Droid.

Illegal in Oregon too...

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I have to admit that I don't fully understand the whole issue with why bluetooth dialing doesn't work but what I do know is that in both my Acura and Nissan I can make and receive calls. I can also use voice commands to make calls by just stating the numbers I want the phone to dial. I'm sure it has something to do with the software in the car and not on the phone.

Now since this option works, what about bluetooth speaker phones that can be bought almost anywhere? They are around the price of a good earpiece and they can transmit the calls to play through your car speakers. Below is a link for one at bestbuy. I don't know for sure if it would work but with the 30 day return policy it's worth a shot.

Jabra - Bluetooth Speakerphone - SP200

steve4810

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
As a matter of fact, the Droid works fine in my wife's Ford Fusion Hybrid with Microsoft Sync.

Wise folk tell me this is because the "intelligence" is in the bluetooth device and that some high end bluetooth earphones can pull off the same trick.

I can't verify this as the voice the Droid voice dial uses is identical to the Sync's so when the Ford says "say a command" I don't know whether the car or phone is generating the response.

I happen to drive an old Suburban with an aftermarket Kenwood radio-DVD player-bluetooth device that can't deal with the Droid's interface and my investigation led me to the fact about that the garden variety bluetooth is not capable of initiating the voice dial capabilities of the Droid.

Cross your fingers and hope 2.1 will bring us Droid folk into the 21st century of car communications.

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
fingers crossed... Until then.. Phone lives in car dock without car mode.. I push buttons when its safe and cops think its a GPS system which falls outside the hands free law.. as silly as that is!

ikith

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
It is actually in the phone and can be enabled in a build.prop setting (IIRC Thats where it is) but it is not accurate at all and that is why it is disabled.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
It works perfect on my Pioneer avic f90 also, do these bluetooth car interfaces use a different profile?
Yes.

Car kits that store the names/numbers and does the dialing work differently than a Headset/HandsFree device.

Example: My Dad's new 2010 GMC Terrain. Its built in bluetooth can dial two ways...

1. take the time to enter and store names/numbers in the car's on board "computer", hit the button and say "call...." the car then dials the number on the cell phone. (you're limited to 50 names/numbers, you must enter them individually and you can't PUSH your contacts via BT from your cell to the car, nor can you "sync" them). This method should work for the Droid.

Or...

2. Hit the button, say "Bluetooth" wait for it to prompt Bluetooth Ready... say "voice" wait for it to kick off the phone's built in voice dialing allowing you to use the phone's complete contact list. This is the same way as using a BT headset.

Dad has over 80 numbers in his phone, and while he calls really only about 4 or 5 people.. it was a pain to enter those numbers into the car, so I showed him how to use option #2 and he's happy. Note: he uses a G'zOne Boulder™ in Orange as his phone.

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Yes.

Car kits that store the names/numbers and does the dialing work differently than a Headset/HandsFree device.

Example: My Dad's new 2010 GMC Terrain. Its built in bluetooth can dial two ways...

1. take the time to enter and store names/numbers in the car's on board "computer", hit the button and say "call...." the car then dials the number on the cell phone. (you're limited to 50 names/numbers, you must enter them individually and you can't PUSH your contacts via BT from your cell to the car, nor can you "sync" them). This method should work for the Droid.

Or...

2. Hit the button, say "Bluetooth" wait for it to prompt Bluetooth Ready... say "voice" wait for it to kick off the phone's built in voice dialing allowing you to use the phone's complete contact list. This is the same way as using a BT headset.

Dad has over 80 numbers in his phone, and while he calls really only about 4 or 5 people.. it was a pain to enter those numbers into the car, so I showed him how to use option #2 and he's happy. Note: he uses a G'zOne Boulder? in Orange as his phone.

I completelly understand that, and my avic will sync the whole phonebook, but how is answering a call any different on it than on a headset?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Off topic posts & insults have been removed. If you guys can't play nice, I'm going to shut this down for good, and you'll be issued warnings.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
As frustrating as it may be, as far as I am aware, everything points to 2.1 does not include bluetooth voice dialing. I understand this feature is pretty standard on even most of the dumbest of dumbphones out there, and maybe it's just me being prude, but I think at the same time, you choose to make a phone call while driving. I know that here in New York, they are even considering making it illegal to be talking on the phone PERIOD while driving.

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Do any of the headsets that have speed dial built in work on the Droid? I have a Blueant V1 that has had issues but it seems like when it works, it just dials the last number I called no matter what speed dial I tell it to call. I thought I had read the Q1 worked on the droid but I am not so sure now.

Update: I played a little last night and the V1 seems to work now. With the Storm, I could set the numbers I wanted in the storms speed dial and the V1 would use it to dial. With the Droid, I have to have the number call my cell and I can then get the V1 to save it. Once I do this, I can voice dial that number with the V1. When I first tried the V1 on the Droid, I was getting bad static but it seemed to be working yesterday with no issues. Not sure if it was just luck or if maybe the BB rom I am using solves the issues?

Last edited:

steve4810

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
OK, there is an official Verizon link that describes 2.1's features and fixes and there is no mention of bluetooth issues AT ALL.

A sad, sad development!

Well, we can hope for relief in 2.2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad