I love my Droid, but...

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
You people need to :
1. Cycle your batteries correctly the first time
2. Stop using so many damn applications (you know you don't need to)
3. Turn off those process killers (I know you're using them!)
4. Hold your cameras still for more than a quarter of a second
5. Stop b!tching.

Deal with it, or go buy a new phone. Not that difficult.

1. that doesn't address the false report of having only 5% battery life when it had a full charge 6+ hours ago when I went to sleep.. then only jump to 70% charge when plugged back in.
2. using the browser or any one app should not cause the phone to get hot after 5 min..
3. ATK dormant until I use it then I kill it again.. it doesn't run unless I call for it.
4. again.. if I want a superb pic I will use my digital camera.. it's a phone first; camera 2nd(or 3rd).
5. since this is a forum and people can express their opinion in a calm manner there was no need for this comment about the concerns people bring up. Are some valid.. I would like to think so, but some can be lumped into the whinefest that is an unhappy droid owner.

lastly.. not everyone can just run out and get a new phone at the drop of a hat. While it may not be that difficult for you it may be for others.

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010
www.dancingcrabspeaks.blogspot.com
You people need to :
1. Cycle your batteries correctly the first time
2. Stop using so many damn applications (you know you don't need to)
3. Turn off those process killers (I know you're using them!)
4. Hold your cameras still for more than a quarter of a second
5. Stop b!tching.

Deal with it, or go buy a new phone. Not that difficult.

Most useless post ever, at leasting regarding my original post.

1 - I know how to prime a lithium battery. This is part of the reason why I know this shouldn't be happening.

2 - I have six apps installed from the Market, not rooted, no additional apps. Most of these apps are Google-developed.

3 - Do not use one, so you are wrong.

4 - Not worth a response.

5 - Get off this thread.

Regarding my OP problems, I can testify that I had the sync problem again last night. I left it on charge over night (at which point it had been constant syncing for about three hours, already draining the battery from 70% to 20%) and come this morning it is still trying to sync.

People don't seem to understand that I was not 'b!tching' about a poor battery. When it hasn't gone syncidal, the battery isn't far off my previous Storm2, which is fine. The problem is it doesn't last six hours when it won't stop syncing.

Either way, it appears no one knows a fix other than disabling the sync completely. Of course, a battery pull works, as does a long power off (sometimes), but these are not proper fixes, merely temporary.

G

GenericMessage

1 - I know how to prime a lithium battery. This is part of the reason why I know this shouldn't be happening.

2 - I have six apps installed from the Market, not rooted, no additional apps. Most of these apps are Google-developed.

5 - Get off this thread.

Regarding my OP problems, I can testify that I had the sync problem again last night. I left it on charge over night (at which point it had been constant syncing for about three hours, already draining the battery from 70% to 20%) and come this morning it is still trying to sync.

People don't seem to understand that I was not 'b!tching' about a poor battery. When it hasn't gone syncidal, the battery isn't far off my previous Storm2, which is fine. The problem is it doesn't last six hours when it won't stop syncing.

Either way, it appears no one knows a fix other than disabling the sync completely. Of course, a battery pull works, as does a long power off (sometimes), but these are not proper fixes, merely temporary.

Have we tried replacing the droid?

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
i would turn off your location for your gps when not using it as well...that drains the battery too..good app that is free is power manager. you can turn on/off wifi, and bluetooth

settings> Location & security> use gps satellites
This isn't germane to the OP but to clarify:

GPS doesn't drain the battery unless it's actively being used. The GPS icon will be in the notification bar in such cases. If GPS is unexpectedly active then check to see what app(s) might be using it or make sure that your browser isn't sitting on the Google homepage with "Allow use of device location" enabled. You can 1. disable the option 2. browse to a different page or 3. use a different browser.

samdroid

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

5 - Get off this thread.

My first post here. I'm an absolute newbie and have owned my Droid for a little more than a month and a half. Having said all that, I've had the exact same problems as the OP, where through some ridiculous fat-fingering (I don't remember the sequence) my phone went on a constant sync, subsequently heating the phone and draining the battery. This is what I did and it has worked for me so far, so might be worth a try for the OP.
1) Ensure that -->Settings-->Accounts&Sync: has both background data & auto sync checked and the Gmail sync is on.
2) -->Settings-->Applications-->Manage applications-->running: clear data for Gmail and gmail storage.
3) Set gmail sync to 4 days.
4) Power off/on phone.

These are just my suggestions. They worked for me, not sure what part of this did the trick though.
Good luck.

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010
Have we tried replacing the droid?

Not yet - I came to the Droid after going through five Storm2s. I figured I would try my best not to have to start sending Droids back to VZW. However, I'm in the process of uninstalling ALL (six) apps and letting it run for twenty-four hours to see if the problem comes back. Assuming it doesn't, I'll begin introducing each one in turn and testing it.

@samdroid - Thanks for the advice. I've done most of what you suggested, but I will change my sync to 4 days and see if that makes a difference.

BerkleyJ

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I came to the Droid after going through five Storm2s.

This makes me believe it's the user not the phone ;)

The Storm 2 didn't come out until the VERY end of October. Let's work this out, shall we. If you just got your Droid recently. that means you went through 5 Storms in well under 5 months.

Last edited:

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site

The Storm 2 didn't come out until the VERY end of October. Let's work this out, shall we. If you just got your Droid recently. that means you went through 5 Storms in well under 5 months.

I went through 4 storm2s in 2 weeks... all had various issues right out of the box.. hence I am a droid owner now and only returned one(which may have been a working as intended phone)

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010

Going through five Storm 9550s in five months is EXACTLY why I had VZW change my device up. How, may I ask, do you think I might be responsible for my Droid perma-syncing?

Thank you Kynte for the back up.

So far, my sync issues seem to have gone... having no apps installed appears to be helping. Tomorrow I'll start reintroducing one per 24 hours.

foghorn67

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Try wiping the lens cover on the Droid. I know this sounds stupid. but i got tons of blurry pics until i started doing this. Now 90% of my pics are blur free.

omega13lives

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I bought the rubberized cover so I don't notice the heat anymore. (Unfortunately, I have to take it off to use the mount.) Also, the sales person said not to leave it on the car charger after it hits fully Charged or it could damage the device/battery. I noticed mine also would be down below 20% battery if not plugged in overnight so I got JuiceDefender to try to help, and I turn off GPS when not needed. Also installed Beautiful Widgets which has quick buttons for Bluetooth and WiFi so I can turn off when not needed.

I do like that the Contacts has a Note space (to remind me why I know this person) but I don't understand why the Calendar doesn't have an option to pick a Contact when making an appointment? I mean, aren't these the people you would be seeing most often?

Blacker.the.berry

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
try this for your syncing issue

5 - Get off this thread.

go to settings>apps>manage apps>gmail>clear cache

danielquasar

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I am having this issue as well and have done all the suggestions given. Still have perma-sync issues. I really don't want to have to factory reset my Droid. :( Afraid I may lose all my apps I paid for... Correct me if I am wrong on that one.

CommonWisdom

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I am having this issue as well and have done all the suggestions given. Still have perma-sync issues. I really don't want to have to factory reset my Droid. :( Afraid I may lose all my apps I paid for... Correct me if I am wrong on that one.

You will not lose your paid apps. I just replaced my droid recently, and it actually downloaded all my apps again for me without even asking me. You will probably lose any settings you have made within the app, but that should be about it. You will keep your memory card and just plug it into the new phone, so all data will be kept. Most apps are stored off of the memory card, which is why they need to get downloaded again, but I'm not sure if any other data besides the apps is also stored outside of the memory card. If so, you will likely lose that data.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
At least for Android Marketplace apps, your Google account retains a full list of all apps you have, both paid and free. If you do a factory reset on your phone, you can go to the marketplace and download all of the apps that you had from the "Downloads" list. As for apps you got from third party sources, I can't say how that will be handled.

-SR-

G

GenericMessage

go to settings>apps>manage apps>gmail>clear cache

I see this mentioned A-LOT.

Yet, when I go into my manage apps........gmail isn't there!

In-fact, NONE of my stock apps are there.

So how can I do that?

samdroid

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I see this mentioned A-LOT.

Yet, when I go into my manage apps........gmail isn't there!

In-fact, NONE of my stock apps are there.

So how can I do that?

Once you get into manage applications --> press menu --> you'll see an option to filter --> either filter all applications or running applications, this will show you all apps.

danean08

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I love the battery life. Havent really had any problems with my Droid and have had it over a month. Have noticed since updating to 2.1 that in the middle of a text the keyboard will go away while typing.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I have not had any of these problems that you mention here at all. The only thing I think could be a little better is the camera. But to be honest its really not even that bad. The Droid is an over all awesome phone without a doubt. I came to the droid from an eris and I cant put it down