Official 2.1 findings thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JORDAN#IM

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
For complete details and benefits of the Android 2.1 update, see the official Verizon support page.

To manually install Android 2.1 on the Verizon Droid, perform the following steps:

*Download the official Android 2.1 firmware (ESE53) from: (waiting on link)
*Copy the file to your microSD card and name it update.zip (newb warning: not update.zip.zip)
*Power off your phone. Hold down the “X” button on the physical keyboard and power it back on to boot into recovery mode.
*When you see the “/!\” symbol, press volume up and the camera button to display the recovery options.
*Use the d-pad to navigate to “apply sdcard:update.zip” and select it.
*Follow the on screen instructions and reboot your phone when prompted.

*Profit?

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Here is the OTA update posted on Georgia Tech Consultants site..haven't tried it yet though

Nevermind, I guess the only comment on the page is saying its not the OTA, just instructions how to install it..my bad, jumped the gun due to excitement lol

Last edited:
G

GenericMessage

+23 min and zero reports of updates happening. I'm actually a bit surprised.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Found this little gem on why the update has been delayed. might also explain what the deal is if there are any issues with the OTA update today:

From our anonymous tipster: “Not sure if you’ve heard, but the real reason for the latest delay on the Android 2.1 update for Droid phones is due to Motorola’s distribution vendor (Bitfone- now owned by HP). They are having capacity problems with a) the Bitfone application that distributes the updates and b) capacity issues with the current network infrastructure that hosts this application. I spoke to one of the engineers personally and they mentioned that Motorola reps have been “bugging them all day” because of the 3/18 commitment date.”

G

GenericMessage

Yeah I am starting to think this hasn't dropped yet. And I am sure poor VZW support is being flooded with angry nerds yelling at tech support over the sound of their mother telling them to keep it down!

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
To manually install Android 2.1 on the Verizon Droid, perform the following steps:

Download the official Android 2.1 firmware (ESE53) from: (waiting on link)
Copy the file to your microSD card and name it update.zip (newb warning: not update.zip.zip)
Power off your phone. Hold down the ?X? button on the physical keyboard and power it back on to boot into recovery mode.
When you see the ?/!\? symbol, press volume up and the camera button to display the recovery options.
Use the d-pad to navigate to ?apply sdcard:update.zip? and select it.
Follow the on screen instructions and reboot your phone when prompted.
?
Profit?

"(waiting on link)" Priceless!

G

GenericMessage

Dude, hold your horses. Out of over a million people, only 1000 got it. It could be that the folks who got it don't even know what the internet is.

Holy my horses? Didn't know they where getting away from me.

Chances are pretty good that one of those 1,000 are nerdy enough to mention it on the internet, the second that happens, it would spread like wild-fire.

Thusly, I doubt it has happened yet

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
So when this update is pushed out, and eventually cracked (I assume not more than a week, if they changed anything at all :)), do you think people will be taking that supposed radio upgrade and putting them into ROMs?

Orrr just building ROMs off the upgrade (w/ radio)?

Damn I dont know if I want to unroot! killing me...

R

Roy Aguilera

Honestly, since ESE53 is already out there and all that is missing is the radio. I don't think they will be looking for a new exploit anytime soon. They will probably just pull the radio from this update and make a complete 2.1 root update zip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol