DROID 2.1 Update thread.

BloodiedWraith

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
2.1-update1, which is what the video said it should be. Build is ESE81.

Well, at least its not just me. When did you download Earth?

Google Earth is not coming up in a market search for me anymore. It shows up in my downloads, but it appears as if Google removed it temporarily? I'm not sure.

Unrelated question:
Anyone else experiencing a huge decrease in performance in their phone? My phone is really slow, with our without live wallpapers now. Sometimes when opening up applications it will take like 10 seconds and sometimes when I unlock my screen if I was in the messaging application it will be blurred for about 5 seconds and then focus.

Also, my phone sometimes just vibrates once instead of the normal vibration when messages come in.

It's really irritating me, and I'm going to do a full fledged reset to see if that corrects it, but just wondering if I was the only one.

mjp81

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't think getting the update manually or OTA is any different. I got google earth after I manually updated. So, something else is up.

I'm sorry I dont really know what to tell you is the issue, but, it's not because you manually updated. Hopefully someone smarter than me will notice and help :(

And yes, the Mods are gathering anything you mention 2.1 in and throwing it here which is absoultely silly, as it is effectively deleting your post. Seems hardly anyone one reading here is paying attention to helping that much issues and are more just flying by fast to get fast info.

I had a uselful thread going and it came to a halt as soon as they moved it here. They may as well deleted it. :(

Obviously they aren't always so swift at making information usefully accessable and are just on a mission. The whole site may as well just be one thread. This thread is impossible to follow individual issues.

Well, lets see if we can get some sort of time frame. Do you remember exactly when you manually updated and downloaded Google Earth? That might give us an indication of when something might have happened. And if you haven't already, re-check the Market to see if Google Earth is available, don't just rely on seeing it in your Downloads list.

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Unrelated question:
Anyone else experiencing a huge decrease in performance in their phone? My phone is really slow, with our without live wallpapers now. Sometimes when opening up applications it will take like 10 seconds and sometimes when I unlock my screen if I was in the messaging application it will be blurred for about 5 seconds and then focus.

For me it's the opposite. I can't believe how much faster my phone is now. With the exception of Google earth everything runs super smooth and fast. The phone unlocks faster, boots weather bug elite much faster, loads emails MUCH faster.... I think you get the picture.

Also the battery life (I know it's only been a day and a half) is much better and my camera also appears to be faster and taking higher quality pictures.

As far as your vibrate issue, I bet that is a 3rd party app issue. Look at what apps you've recently installed or updated and try removing them one by one and they probably find the culprit.

BloodiedWraith

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
For me it's the opposite. I can't believe how much faster my phone is now. With the exception of Google earth everything runs super smooth and fast. The phone unlocks faster, boots weather bug elite much faster, loads emails MUCH faster.... I think you get the picture.

Also the battery life (I know it's only been a day and a half) is much better and my camera also appears to be faster and taking higher quality pictures.

As far as your vibrate issue, I bet that is a 3rd party app issue. Look at what apps you've recently installed or updated and try removing them one by one and they probably find the culprit.

Sad thing is, the only app I installed after 2.1 was Google Earth and I already uninstalled that. None of the other apps have had any negative effects on 2.0.1. Doing a master reset now as we speak to see if I can get this to run better...

hucworld

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
How many people here have NOT gotten their 2.1 update?

I am patiently watching my phone for this"update" like a kid looking for Santa. Hope I'm not the only one still waiting.

fyrman49

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
On the androidcentral.com hom page look to the top and you will see a link to download the update. Be sure to watch the 2.1 update walkthrough video post first.

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I still havent gotten my update, and I did see the link for the manual update. But I figure, I have waited this long, I might as well wait another few days or so for this update. Seems like good stuff in there, but nothing earth shattering for me.

jtmeyers

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I think something went wrong with my update to 2.1. I followed the instructions / video and everything was good until I rebooted. It's been over half an hour and my Droid is not booting past the Motorola logo. What's up with that? What should I do now? Please help.
A couple of hours later and my phone is still in the same state. I've done several battery pulls (it won't power off at all otherwise). I've tried going through the boot loader a couple of times to apply the update again, but it errors out, and I tried to reboot it using the boot loader menu, but that fails too. Every time, I just keep getting the Motorola logo and that is it.

What are my options at this point? There is an option on the boot loader menu / Android system recovery menu - "wipe data / factory reset" - any chance that I could use that option to fix it? Or do I need to unbrick my phone using .sbf? Or should I just take it to a Verizon store and try to get it replaced? If option 3, should I erase the update.zip file from the SD card first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rjbeck77

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Update

Have all the 2.1 updates been completed?

I haven't received my update yet. Is there something I need to do? Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
I still havent gotten my update, and I did see the link for the manual update. But I figure, I have waited this long, I might as well wait another few days or so for this update. Seems like good stuff in there, but nothing earth shattering for me.

No offense to you, but I am still baffled as to why people continue to wait for the OTA. It has been tried and trued that the update thats posted is official, and working like a charm. Safe yourself the hassle of the up to 20 day wait, and load it up tonight. You will be super happy once you touch that first live wallpaper, trust me.

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I think patience is the key. I believe it was supposed to be something like 200,000 updates a day, and somebody did the math here on Android Central a few days ago. I believe they said most everyone should have it in about a 10 day period. Also, if you look around, the website does have a way to manually update it if you like.

G

GenericMessage

There is 0 difference between the OTA and the manual update.

I feel some explanation needs to be given on how the phones update.

Verizon will send a file to your phone, that file is the update.zip. That file downloads right to the SD card. This happens without your knowledge.

Once this file has finished downloading onto your SD card, your system will prompt you "would you like to update?"

If you accept that, it will utilize that file and install the update onto your phone, and delete the update file once it has completed.

If however, you deny the update; the file will be retained on your SD card until utilized.

All that the manual update is, is us distributing the update.zip and not Verizon.

So, as I've said so many times, the update.zip IS the same update everyone gets, manually or OTA.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay