I love the dock/car mount!

ianmedina

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I bought 2 multimedia docks so I can use one at home as an alarm clock on my nightstand and the other for my desk here at work. Its great to play movies, pandora, and use as a speakerphone.

I placed the car mount right under my rear view mirror so I can run Pandora thru my car radio's AUX jack while using Google Nav.

I've had a lot of smartphones in the past but none of them have had well engineered accessories like this. Way to go Motorola! These accessories will make getting a new phone in the future very difficult indeed.

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought 2 multimedia docks so I can use one at home as an alarm clock on my nightstand and the other for my desk here at work. Its great to play movies, pandora, and use as a speakerphone.

I placed the car mount right under my rear view mirror so I can run Pandora thru my car radio's AUX jack while using Google Nav.

I've had a lot of smartphones in the past but none of them have had well engineered accessories like this. Way to go Motorola! These accessories will make getting a new phone in the future very difficult indeed.

+1

How does the screen look while docked? Is it a suitable replacement for a dedicated GPS?

the two different docks have different modes they go into "MMD Mode" and "Car Mode"

I think Google Maps on the droid while in the car dock is definitely a suitable replacement for GPS, I actually gave my GPS to my parents after I got my droid

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree, the two docks are awesome. I use the media dock at home for charging, and makes a great alarm clock. I use the car dock when driving, both as gps (obv), but it makes a good place to hold the phone (for checking it, if there is an accident, etc), and allows you to easy use the voice transcription feature in 2.1 to send texts, without having to take your eyes off the road a lot or taking a hand off the wheel.

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I just got the car droid was thinking about getting the desk mount. The car mount is awesome, conjoined with Chomp or Handcent's SMS pop up it's awesome. I wish there was an E-mail version of those two apps... would be in heaven.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a Droider yet, unfortunately. Still on my BlackBerry, drooling over the Droid and wishing I could get it at the contract price.

Not my pics, found them online, but it'll give you an idea of what the screen looks like when docked.

Multimedia Dock:

11-10-2009+10-38-40+PM.png

Droid in car dock:

desktop4.png

Last edited:

SergeantDroid

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
How does the screen look while docked? Is it a suitable replacement for a dedicated GPS?

I don't even use my Magellan GPS anymore. The Droid GPS works great. Because it is internet connected, it can find anything and navigate to it. I use a bluetooth headset while using navigation for calls.

pjjanak

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I really love the car dock a lot. And I think it's great that it's very easy to take off of the window, considering I will be moving to an area where I have to park on the street, and fun gadgets tend to be a big "rob me" sign for potentials thieves. I also think it's cool that, even though I don't use it, it comes with a sticky thingy to mount the dock on your dashboard if you don't want it on the window.

I have been looking into getting a media dock...perhaps next paycheck :p

Peter

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
I ditched my GPS system too... Run the droid all the time and it works great in the car dock... Though I cant stand car home mode.. So I deleted the app... But you cant do that if your not rooted..

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
yeah, the car dock and multimedia dock were the best investments ever. I've used the gps in the car quite a few times and it worked perfectly, eats the battery though. As for the multimedia dock, the look varies depending on whether or not your running the stock rom. I'm using the clock app below on Koush's CM rom and like it better than the default one. The LED's for the soft buttons are bright so if you're rooted, I'd suggest downloading an app called LED Hack which will cut them off when docked.

f34add9a.jpg

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Dockrunner, a free app, will let you run either docking mode without the magnetic actuators in the docks.

Conversely, Dockblocker will let you disable either or both docking apps without rooting your Droid. I use dockblocker to keep my Droid from going into the multimedia mode when I use my horizontal case with a magnetic flap closure. I also use dockblocker to disable the car home mode when I dock my Droid in the car.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers